Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#6183543 - 03/04/12 12:05 PM gym goers - do you take a notebook?
falnfenix Offline
Post Master Supreme

i've been thinking about trying to keep track of what i do on paper...not just for what we do each day and in what order, but to remind myself of seating position (since my SO and i switch off on machines) and keep track of weight increases.

i have an "idea" of what my weak spots are, but it would be nice to have numbers to go on.

thing is, nobody really seems to bring notebooks, so i'm wondering if i'd be weird to do that. does anyone here keep a notebook with you?

#6183559 - 03/04/12 12:14 PM Re: gym goers - do you take a notebook? [Re: falnfenix]
Lewis Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: IA
Won't be weird...some do it, and even if no one at your gym does no one will care. Also at the slight chance someone says something (doubt it), they can promptly fuck off because they aren't there to really work out anyways.

C/N: Do it if you want to.

#6183573 - 03/04/12 12:21 PM Re: gym goers - do you take a notebook? [Re: Lewis]
Dahlia Offline
CSi's Little Nanook
Post Master Supreme

Loc: North of 60
Yup, every workout - Crossfit, yoga, cycling, etc.

And pretty detailed notes to go with everything too.

Good night, sweet Spencer (June 10th, 2004 - July 9th, 2015) <3

#6183585 - 03/04/12 12:30 PM Re: gym goers - do you take a notebook? [Re: Dahlia]
HX_Guy Offline
Please blame any typos on my executive assistant
Post Master Supreme

I see people with notebooks all the time so it wouldn't be weird.

Myself, I just use my iPhone. I actually enter all my weights that I plan on doing that day into Google Docs before I go to the gym and then pull up the spreadsheet while at the gym.
2022 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate

#6183612 - 03/04/12 12:57 PM Re: gym goers - do you take a notebook? [Re: Lewis]
falnfenix Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Lewis
Also at the slight chance someone says something (doubt it), they can promptly fuck off because they aren't there to really work out anyways

LOL, thanks.

Originally Posted By: Dahlia
Yup, every workout - Crossfit, yoga, cycling, etc.

And pretty detailed notes to go with everything too.

do you mind if i ask what else you write down?

Originally Posted By: Andy Rooneymanian
I see people with notebooks all the time so it wouldn't be weird.

Myself, I just use my iPhone. I actually enter all my weights that I plan on doing that day into Google Docs before I go to the gym and then pull up the spreadsheet while at the gym.

i started using my iPod Touch for this sort of thing but it's a pain having to type, backspace, retype, backspace, wait for it to catch up, retype. blah. i love that device, but it's 2 years old and acts like it. i'd rather use pen and paper.

#6183645 - 03/04/12 01:23 PM Re: gym goers - do you take a notebook? [Re: Lewis]
bluesubie81 Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: NJ (near Philly)
I take my notebook every time to the gym. I like to know what my numbers are and to see what progress I have made. I keep all my old note books and have atleast the last 2 years in my desk. I like being able to see that I benched ### last year and now I'm at ###.

Won't be weird...some do it, and even if no one at your gym does no one will care. Also at the slight chance someone says something (doubt it), they can promptly fuck off because they aren't there to really work out anyways.

I have never had anyone say anthing besides, never thought of doing that or thats a good idea. Only positive remarks so far.

Originally Posted By: falnfenix
thing is, nobody really seems to bring notebooks, so i'm wondering if i'd be weird to do that. does anyone here keep a notebook with you?

There are a few other people at the gym I go to that bring note books. No one will think you are weird.

#6183705 - 03/04/12 02:16 PM Re: gym goers - do you take a notebook? [Re: Lewis]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

I agree. I just normally bring a post it note each day with my routine, But that's just my weights for each set. It'd definitely not unusual to see people with a small notebook.

#6183735 - 03/04/12 02:33 PM Re: gym goers - do you take a notebook? [Re: falnfenix]
Sharkticon Offline
FLY ALLEGIANT TODAY!
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Aisle 7
I started a logbook when I began the Starting Strength program. Just a mini ledger book to keep track of the weight I am pushing.
#6183760 - 03/04/12 02:45 PM Re: gym goers - do you take a notebook? [Re: Sharkticon]
HX_Guy Offline
Post Master Supreme

So I'm the only one that uses technology to keep track of this stuff? Damn, how old are you fogeys? \:D

#6183763 - 03/04/12 02:46 PM Re: gym goers - do you take a notebook? [Re: HX_Guy]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

So I'm the only one that uses technology to keep track of this stuff? Damn, how old are you fogeys? \:D

I don't like having my phone in the gym. Seems like a recipe for theft/breakage.

My gym is too crowded as it is.

#6183780 - 03/04/12 02:57 PM Re: gym goers - do you take a notebook? [Re: ]
bluesubie81 Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: NJ (near Philly)
 Originally Posted By: dirtyS13drifta

I don't like having my phone in the gym. Seems like a recipe for theft/breakage.

My gym is too crowded as it is.

Agreed, the rings on my notebook are bented from getting stepped on or weights being put down on it. I don't want to take the chance and jack up my phone in the gym

#6183837 - 03/04/12 03:14 PM Re: gym goers - do you take a notebook? [Re: bluesubie81]
HX_Guy Offline
Post Master Supreme

I set my phone on the window sill next to the squat rack or under the bench when doing bench press.

#6183854 - 03/04/12 03:21 PM Re: gym goers - do you take a notebook? [Re: HX_Guy]
falnfenix Offline
Post Master Supreme

I set my phone on the window sill next to the squat rack or under the bench when doing bench press.

there's a *lot* of places around the gym where having a phone lying on the ground is a dangerous idea, though.

we're still using machines, rather than freeweights (at least until i can get my core stronger), and most of the machines don't have any place to put a device where it would be safe.

#6183948 - 03/04/12 04:10 PM Re: gym goers - do you take a notebook? [Re: falnfenix]
Jrobski Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Renton WAAAA
The machines at my gym have water bottle holders and phone holders lol. Since I only do 4exercises per workout, I just keep it in my head.
#6183970 - 03/04/12 04:23 PM Re: gym goers - do you take a notebook? [Re: Jrobski]
falnfenix Offline
Post Master Supreme

ah, only a small amount of our machines have bottle/phone holders.
#6183981 - 03/04/12 04:30 PM Re: gym goers - do you take a notebook? [Re: falnfenix]
Dahlia Offline
CSi's Little Nanook
Post Master Supreme

Loc: North of 60
My book has everything in it - warm up, workout, weight, scaling (if appropriate), times, any notes regarding form or improvements needed for next workout (i.e. watch knees, keep head up), how I felt in the workout, anything my coach noted, and anything else I feel is important.

It's and extremely helpful tool.

Good night, sweet Spencer (June 10th, 2004 - July 9th, 2015) <3

#6184142 - 03/04/12 06:25 PM Re: gym goers - do you take a notebook? [Re: ]
Silock Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Jayhawk Country
I just use my phone, and memorize the weights I'm supposed to use that day before my workout.
#6184313 - 03/04/12 07:56 PM Re: gym goers - do you take a notebook? [Re: Silock]
DieZel Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: 18th green
used notebooks in the past, and will use them when i start 5/3/1...

when i'm doing my own split, i don't carry a book, but it IS helpful if you do...

#6184452 - 03/04/12 09:12 PM Re: gym goers - do you take a notebook? [Re: Lewis]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: RI

What works, works.

I just keep a calendar that I write what I did that day. Not as detailed as what OP is describing, but I'm not a n00b, either. I do it so I can properly space out what I focus on over the week. It also helps me track mileage on the bike.

Fuck anyone with who has a problem with making a concerted effort.

still have an EM1--go figure

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads