Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#6576541 - 09/09/12 08:33 PM Any of you done the whole 30 challenge? *update* 2 weeks in
Mick in SD Online   pandAr
Post Master Supreme

Loc: San Diego. Ca
http://whole9life.com/2012/08/the-whole30-program/

The basic idea is to eat food that will only make you healthier (veggies,lean meat, fruit and nuts). The goal is to see how good you feel after 30 days of not eating anything else that would make you less healthy. They cut out diary, legumes and some other "healthy" items because many people are allergic to these things and some may not know it. After 30 days you are encouraged to gradually add in the foods that have been omitted to see how they make you feel.

I'm doing it for three reasons. One I drink too much and it gets in the way of training. I have a 5k obstacle race at the end of the month and will be competing against others in my company and in our industry. I want to beat them. Two I have vitiligo which is an autoimmune skin disease that causes loss of pigmentation. I've read many studies saying that diet could be a factor in this so we'll see if it makes any difference.

Lastly I'd like to lose some weight and let me say that this is definitely going to do it. When you limit your diet to these items only it really cuts down on snacking and any other crap that might sneak into your diet. I'm on day 6 of this program and I'm constantly hungry. You are supposed to eat 3 meals a day but I cant seem to cram enough eggs and veggies in my mouth to make it until noon. The same goes for lunch and dinner. I hope that this will normalize in the next week.

So far I've been in a series of highs and lows with respect to my mood. After I eat I'm clear and happy. Once I start to get hungry I snap at people and am not a fun person to be around. Again I hope this normalizes. I'll be sure to update this as I progress.

UPDATE: this keyboard doesnt have a shift key so deal with it.

im on day 15 and i feel... great. it took about 8 days to figure out the right portions to keep me full throughout the day and after that i havent had too many issues with being hungry. the cravings have subsided substantially but i still get them. yesterday i really wanted a can of coke. i stepped on the scale prior to starting and i had gained a few pounds from not working out as much. i weighed 183 on day 1. today im at 175.

i find that i have more energy during the day. i wake up at 5, get to work around 6, leave at 430 and have time and energy to work out and make dinner. most nights ill even catch up on emails and social networking after dinner while watching the news. ive had multiple people tell me that they can see that the lights are on and that im "here" when speaking to them. so much of the time im usually thinking about something else or i guess i was in a mild fog without really realizing it. prior to this most nights i would get home, do a half assed work out, make dinner while drinking scotch and then have wine with dinner. after dinner i was too tired to do anything so i trudged up to bed and passed out.

the only downside to this it seems is that my weights have gone down a bit. this tells me im at a bit of a calorie deficit and that i should try to add some more in. i do like losing weight at this pace but i dont think it is sustainable. ill have to find a calculator and see how many calories i should be eating during the day at this weight. any suggestions on where to go? have you guys/gals experienced anything like this when on a calorie restriction?

one last thing to add to this stream of consciousness, and what prompted me to write this was watching the news, is that all of those people saying we are trapped into eating shitty food are full of it. you just have to want to do it and you'll find the time. many of you have said that it isnt for everyone are correct but this seems to be jsut right for me and i encourage those trying to lose some weight, those that feel run down all the time and those with inexplicable aches and pains to give something like this a shot.

Edited by Nick in SD 07Sti (09/18/12 07:45 PM)

#6576781 - 09/09/12 10:40 PM Re: Any of you guys done the whole 30 challenge? [Re: Mick in SD]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Edmonton
I eat good food all the time, including a bit of dairy (Greek Yogurt, a bit of cheese or some 1% milk). Pretty much all my meals have some sort of lean protein, fruit or vegetable and some sort of whole grain or side dish.

I typically feel pretty good, except when I drink too much. Drinking is something I enjoy, but it's about the only thing I do that I know is not good for me. I think I'd be fucking superman if I didn't drink at all.

#6576802 - 09/09/12 10:58 PM Re: Any of you guys done the whole 30 challenge? [Re: Impulsive]
Ares Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Atlanta Ga
Id feel miserable...

no sugar? I dont eat alot of sugar... but there are trace amounts in a lot of things, and not so trace amounts in other stuff... like the tbsn of bbq sauce I apply to chicken to make it tolerable...

I know now, Id never stick to it, and you know whats more important than perfection? endurance. rather be mostly healthy for months than totally healthy for 38 hours, which is, IMO, the flaw with way too many diets. They ask too much.

#6577048 - 09/10/12 08:44 AM Re: Any of you guys done the whole 30 challenge? [Re: Ares]
Post Master Supreme

I agree on the trace amounts of bad stuff. I was going to use some ancho chilis in some chili I was making but after closer inspection I found that there was added sugar. A whopping 2g of it that would be spread out over 6-8 servings but nevertheless I couldn't use it. Stuff like that will definitely change once the 30 days are up and my hope is that this will kick start my diet to help me avoid the other crap I put in my mouth. I think the worst offender is the candy jar in our service dispatcher's office. I've been in there a lot lately for work related issues and it seems like every time I'm there I take a mini reese's.

#6577169 - 09/10/12 09:35 AM Re: Any of you guys done the whole 30 challenge? [Re: Mick in SD]
DieZel Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: 18th green
Sounds like bullshit... I eat what I want and feel fine...
#6577262 - 09/10/12 10:20 AM Re: Any of you guys done the whole 30 challenge? [Re: ]
shaftid Offline
Sr Member

Loc: Boston
I agree that people have sensitivities to different foods, and this is a fine way of finding out if that is the case with you. In my opinion, this trend of complete avoidance of gluten, dairy, etc. is becoming a little overblown. Rather, it is more important to define your diet on a larger scale - establish daily macronutrient goals rather than limiting yourself to specific food choices. Make sure you get adequate protein, fiber, and good fats while limiting your total caloric intake with a strict adherence to good workout routine.
#6577267 - 09/10/12 10:23 AM Re: Any of you guys done the whole 30 challenge? [Re: Mick in SD]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: RI
I'm kissing 1700 miles of cycling so far this year. I'll keep eating the carbs and sugar (within reason) so I can function in the saddle.

So much of this stuff is fine and dandy for lifting, but for endurance sports, I just don't see it working. I'll just keep doing what works for me.

still have an EM1--go figure

#6577278 - 09/10/12 10:26 AM Re: Any of you guys done the whole 30 challenge? [Re: gamby]
Post Master Supreme

I agree that this is definitely not something I would do if I was cycling 20-50 miles a day and or running a lot. Once complete I'll definitely reintroduce carbs and PWO drinks/protein shakes for training. I'm one of those people that needs a routine to stay fit and eat right. P90x worked well for me and I think this will too.

#6577426 - 09/10/12 11:45 AM Re: Any of you guys done the whole 30 challenge? [Re: shaftid]
DieZel Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: shaftid
I agree that people have sensitivities to different foods, and this is a fine way of finding out if that is the case with you. In my opinion, this trend of complete avoidance of gluten, dairy, etc. is becoming a little overblown. Rather, it is more important to define your diet on a larger scale - establish daily macronutrient goals rather than limiting yourself to specific food choices. Make sure you get adequate protein, fiber, and good fats while limiting your total caloric intake with a strict adherence to good workout routine.

Golf clap

#6577856 - 09/10/12 05:44 PM Re: Any of you guys done the whole 30 challenge? [Re: shaftid]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

I agree that people have sensitivities to different foods, and this is a fine way of finding out if that is the case with you. In my opinion, this trend of complete avoidance of gluten, dairy, etc. is becoming a little overblown.

Oh--I fully thought that a massive portion of the population was suddenly legitimately unable to process gluten.

#6578351 - 09/10/12 10:04 PM Re: Any of you guys done the whole 30 challenge? [Re: shaftid]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canadistan
this should be a posted note at the top of the threads in here.

#6578570 - 09/11/12 12:04 AM Re: Any of you guys done the whole 30 challenge? [Re: DieZel]
137 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Newsomville, CA
 Originally Posted By: DieZel
Sounds like bullshit... I eat what I want and feel fine...

I did this for 60 days earlier in the year, lost 32 lbs. Yes I cut out all sugar and even cut out caffine for a month.

#6578648 - 09/11/12 01:34 AM Re: Any of you guys done the whole 30 challenge? [Re: Mick in SD]
Rumbelstiltskin Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: So Cal
 Originally Posted By: Nick in SD 07Sti

The basic idea is to eat food that will only make you healthier (veggies,lean meat, fruit and nuts).

Yeah we call that Paleo

#6578918 - 09/11/12 09:08 AM Re: Any of you guys done the whole 30 challenge? [Re: Rumbelstiltskin]
Post Master Supreme

It's more strict than paleo. No added sugar, legumes and certain oils.

#6578973 - 09/11/12 09:41 AM Re: Any of you guys done the whole 30 challenge? [Re: Mick in SD]
DieZel Offline
Post Master Supreme

Paleo is full of flaws at its core...
#6579143 - 09/11/12 10:38 AM Re: Any of you guys done the whole 30 challenge? [Re: gamby]
mrnismo Offline
Post Master

Loc: PCB
 Originally Posted By: g@mby
I'm kissing 1700 miles of cycling so far this year. I'll keep eating the carbs and sugar (within reason) so I can function in the saddle.

So much of this stuff is fine and dandy for lifting, but for endurance sports, I just don't see it working. I'll just keep doing what works for me.

Believe it or not it seems to be the opposite, assuming you give yourself time to adapt (3-4 weeks). This is a long ass study but maybe just read the conclusion.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC524027/

Personally when i want to lose weight I drop carbs. When I want to gain weight I add them. It's just the EASIEST way to do it for me but doesn't mean at all that one way or the other is more effective as I know that is not the case. I have to admit I bought into the 'lose weight faster' without carbs bullshit before but now I understand it was simply because it automatically dropped my calories since it's tough as hell to overeat for me without carbs.

#6579153 - 09/11/12 10:41 AM Re: Any of you guys done the whole 30 challenge? [Re: shaftid]
Shicken Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: N. Canton, OH

This for the most part. I've lost 37 pounds now following this. Granted it's taken me a lot longer than I had hoped but that's because of alcohol and an ankle injury that halted my cardio.

To the OP. Who cares how you do it, just do it. I think if you follow that Whole30 program it will if nothing else educate you a bit. I'm finding more and more that people just don't understand proper nutrition. I've been on my "diet" since February. It wasn't until about two months ago I actually started to eat healthy.

#6579263 - 09/11/12 11:23 AM Re: Any of you guys done the whole 30 challenge? [Re: Shicken]
Post Master Supreme

Yep. For me I like to have a system in place and this will help to develop that system. At the end of the first week I've got a good system down. Plan the meals for the week. My lunch is whatever I had for dinner the night before. Breakfast is eggs and some protein/veggie mix and I don't eat or drink any other crap. This will most likely continue after the 30 days but there will be the occasional trip to pink berry, some alcohol and corn. Love me some tortilla chips and guac.

#6580130 - 09/11/12 05:13 PM Re: Any of you guys done the whole 30 challenge? [Re: mrnismo]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: mrnismo
 Originally Posted By: g@mby

Believe it or not it seems to be the opposite, assuming you give yourself time to adapt (3-4 weeks). This is a long ass study but maybe just read the conclusion.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC524027/

Personally when i want to lose weight I drop carbs. When I want to gain weight I add them. It's just the EASIEST way to do it for me but doesn't mean at all that one way or the other is more effective as I know that is not the case. I have to admit I bought into the 'lose weight faster' without carbs bullshit before but now I understand it was simply because it automatically dropped my calories since it's tough as hell to overeat for me without carbs.

Meanwhile, a big feature in Bicycling a couple of months ago was about the benefits/neccessity of carbs. They even had a little sidebar about Paleo which basically said "Paleo is fine and dandy, just supplement it with carbs if you're going to ride a lot".

I scanned it for a tri-chick friend of mine who was doing Paleo.

#6595250 - 09/18/12 07:43 PM Re: Any of you guys done the whole 30 challenge? [Re: gamby]
Post Master Supreme

update at the top for 2 week progress.

#6597132 - 09/19/12 01:14 PM Re: Any of you guys done the whole 30 challenge? [Re: Mick in SD]
Ares Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Atlanta Ga
I made moderate adjustments to my diet, I lost weight, feel great, look good (IMO)

I just didnt need to go balls to the wall with it. I spent this past weekend gourging myself for my birthday, no fucks given. My diet is based on moderation, not absolutes. But Ive been on it for almost 6 months I think, hope I can stick to it for another 6 and beyond.

#6605747 - 09/23/12 08:00 PM Re: Any of you guys done the whole 30 challenge? [Re: Ares]
Shicken Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: N. Canton, OH
Just read the update. The best calorie calculator I've found is http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ Easily the best phone app, and the best to find calorie counts on the go for just about everything. The best information on food I've found, is http://nutritiondata.self.com/

I wouldn't worry too much about the rapid weight loss. It should even out in a few weeks. I was concerned with it my first month as well, but your body will adjust.

I also agree with your last point. Before I started I assumed it was extremely taxing, and expensive, and too hard to be healthy. In reality it's pretty much a wash on all of that.

The emotional taxing part is easily overcome by just an all around sense of well being when you do some exercise and get proper nutrition.

The expense area is somewhat true. It's cheaper to buy a whole bunch of cheap ground beef, and frozen food. However, most of us who are recovering fatties didn't make our meals. We ate fast food, which is no where near being as cheap as cooking your own fresh meats, veggies and fruits.

And the physical aspect. I spend 4-6 hours at the gym every week but I easily make up for that in less sleep. The quality of sleep I get in 6 hours now is greater than when I slept 10 hours a year ago. I'm not sure if that's the diet/exercise or the quitting smoking, or both but it's awesome!

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads