OracerO
(Post Master Sr)
03/22/18 05:23 PM
Router and Modem

Do any of you guys still use your own router?

Rogers Modem (all in one) > Router > Computers.

or

Rogers Modem > Computers?

I use to use option 1, however i just got upgraded modem from Rogers and i am wondering what is the point of doing option 1?

loudsubz
(Post Master Supreme)
03/22/18 06:15 PM
Re: Router and Modem

the all in ones generally have poor performance

if you're looking for convenience then the all in ones are OK

if you want a better performing network then get seperates

modem - router - switch etc

I'm using a cable modem - edge router - 16 port gig switch

furball
(Post Master Sr)
03/23/18 07:41 AM

I used a Rogers modem + 4-port switch (for more ports) for ~2.5 years, situated in the middle of the main floor. Reception was medium at the outer edges of the property (i.e. it would detect 2 of 4 bars, but it kept dropping video feeds.)

Facebook videos keep buffering, and also issues with the router (i.e. Rogers modem) holding onto IPs too long after a hang and not redistribute them and/or assign/reassign an IP. It was painful.

I then went straight to Rogers Modem (crippled the wifi part) > Asus router > computers.

Most if not all of my problems solved with the Asus RT-AC3100. Speeds do seem muuuuuuch faster too -- not that I run Speedtest all the time.

One of the major benefits you get with a separate (new/newish) router is the ease of network management ... With my router, Asus has an app that lets me easily see, and configure things. I can limit bandwidth, kick the wife off the network if she's watching KUWTK

Problem I'm finding is I'm starting to run out of physical ports, AGAIN \:\|

zaius
(Post Master Sr)
03/23/18 05:51 PM

router + tplink modem + switches