civic13
(Post Master)
04/05/18 09:45 AM
Quick roof repair

Due to yesterday's wind storm a few shingles got blown off the roof of my garage mostly near the peak.

From what I could see from the road there is bare wood showing. Isn't there supposed to be a layer of felt/tar paper or is it not necessary?

I plan to fix it after work today and if I need to repair/replace that layer before nailing in the shingles grab that at home depot too.

Screamin Type ARGH!
(Post Master Supreme)
04/05/18 12:31 PM
Re: Quick roof repair

the tar paper usually only covers the edge of the roof near gutter, up about 3ft (in some cases up to 6ft). after that the rest is shingle on wood from what i understand. hopefully the exposed wood is in very good condition so you get no seepage which could turn into a leak.

or just solve it as CSI normally would.......buy new house.

Senor Eduardo_82
(Post Master Supreme)
04/05/18 12:43 PM

Cover with tarp.

Screamin Type ARGH!
(Post Master Supreme)
04/05/18 01:12 PM

Originally Posted By: I like to kiss my own curry butt
Cover with tarp.

again with the namechange LMAO

Senor Eduardo_82
(Post Master Supreme)
04/05/18 01:55 PM

Apparently I know low people in high places. \:D

zaius
(Post Master Sr)
04/05/18 05:45 PM

i don't think it's necessary. if you're worried, just use some roof caulking to outline your new patch job or something if you have a visible seam.

titty sprinkles
(Post Master Supreme)
04/10/18 03:27 PM

i'm very un-easy going onto the very top of the roof, but you can just nail down another shingle.

but don't fall off the roof or make sure your life insurance is up to date lol

loudsubz
(Post Master Supreme)
04/10/18 03:34 PM

you can but it has to slip under the row above and be trimmed down as they come in a 3 tab setup normally

civic13
(Post Master)
04/10/18 06:09 PM

I was able to fix most of the roof that had missing or broken shingles. But the difficult ones were at the ridge and I didn't want to mess with it. So I just removed as much of the damaged shingle and crammed in a new one underneath with some sealant.