bilzfan
(Newbie)
12/27/06 01:31 AM
Mod the navigation system

Has anyone tried to mod the navigation system yet? I'd like to cahnge the background screen to something more interesting than the boring blue screens.

Captain Geezer
(Jr Poster)
12/28/06 06:17 PM
Re: Mod the navigation system

Is this the type of thing you're looking for?
navigation screen hack

Yo Nadz
(Jr Poster)
12/28/06 07:27 PM

Seems like a lot of work for something so insignificant. Are there any other hacks out there?? Anyone figured out how to play DVD's on this beotch yet?

Captain Geezer
(Jr Poster)
12/28/06 08:21 PM

Not recommending it, just answering the OP question.

bilzfan
(Newbie)
12/28/06 11:04 PM

Looks like exactly what I'd like. Thanks for the link.

rbf351
(Post Master Supreme)
12/29/06 11:11 AM

Quote:

Anyone figured out how to play DVD's on this beotch yet?

it's never going to happen

Design
(Post Master Supreme)
12/29/06 12:12 PM

Quote:

Seems like a lot of work for something so insignificant. Are there any other hacks out there?? Anyone figured out how to play DVD's on this beotch yet?

From what I understand, data only DVDs are read a bit differently than DVD movies. If that's true there would be no way to "hack" the system unless it was originally created to accept DVD movies.

Yeah that's an uneducated answer but probably right.

gizmotoy
(Jr Member)
12/29/06 10:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

From what I understand, data only DVDs are read a bit differently than DVD movies. If that's true there would be no way to "hack" the system unless it was originally created to accept DVD movies.

Yeah that's an uneducated answer but probably right.

The drive is physically capable of reading a DVD movie disc. However, the specific decoders required to actually use and display the movie data read off the disc are obviously absent. Not to mention that there's only 1 DVD drive in the Nav systems, and it houses the map data. The easy-to-access drive is CD only.

The only way this could conceivably be done is if you completely disassemble the head unit and hijack the output to the LCD screen, determine how the screen interfaces with the unit, replicate that interface and utilize it to display a movie from a separate external DVD player.

Just buy a portable DVD player.