Tyehn
(Post Master Supreme)
01/27/12 09:01 AM
Protein Powder

I am sure this thread is done often here but this is my first time poking my head in here. I am just about out of my current stock of powder and was wondering if you guys had any good suggestions for what to get next?

**DONOTDELETE**
()
01/27/12 12:51 PM
Re: Protein Powder

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html

/thread

Impulsive
(Post Master Supreme)
01/27/12 12:55 PM

I just get Kaizen from Costco. Taste good, mixes well, 150 calories for 35 grams and about $40 for a giant tub.

H Street NW
(Poster)
01/27/12 12:55 PM

Trutein. All day, every day. Pricey, but it's worth it as it's an actual quality blend of proteins, and as an added benefit the taste is mmm-fucking-mmm.

Lewis
(Post Master Supreme)
01/27/12 02:03 PM

Originally Posted By: H Street NW
Trutein. All day, every day. Pricey, but it's worth it as it's an actual quality blend of proteins, and as an added benefit the taste is mmm-fucking-mmm.

AWWWWWW YA

wolfsburg2
(Post Master Supreme)
01/27/12 02:54 PM

Dymatize elite gourmet is my staple protein. Myofusion is awesome too but pricier.

Tyehn
(Post Master Supreme)
01/27/12 03:30 PM

This?

http://www.truscience.com/trutein.html

slackereg6
(Member)
01/27/12 04:28 PM

I just use O.N. gold whey. Have been using that same stuff for a long time.

tony9210
(Jr Member)
01/27/12 04:32 PM

Originally Posted By: slackereg6

This...

Or if you want something that taste amazing get Syntha-6

Sharkticon
(Post Master Supreme)
01/27/12 04:33 PM

Myofusion Strawberry is what I am using.

H Street NW
(Poster)
01/27/12 04:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Arkadi

Yes. Peanut Butter Cup or Cinnebun all day.

bluesubie81
(Post Master Sr)
01/27/12 05:44 PM

Originally Posted By: slackereg6

Delicious strawberry FTW!

HX_Guy
(Post Master Supreme)
01/27/12 07:31 PM

I'm using this one, tastes pretty good and mixes well. 140 calories and 27g of protein.

I have a scoop in the morning mixed with hot oatmeal and cinnamon sprinkled on top, shit is fucking delicious and then one scoop post workout with a teaspoon of cocoa powder to cut down on the sweetness of it.

I'd be curious to try the Truetin stuff but I literally just bought another bag of this stuff from Costco last night. I never remember to order ahead and then I run out and just run to Costco for more.
The Truetin stuff has the same amount of protein but only 115 calories, so for the same 140 calories of the stuff I'm having now, I could get getting 33g of protein from Truetin...or use the calories on some other food.

Lewis
(Post Master Supreme)
01/27/12 08:00 PM

Originally Posted By: H Street NW
 Originally Posted By: Arkadi

Yes. Peanut Butter Cup or Cinnebun all day.

Just ordered 10 lbs of the bunzzz

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
01/27/12 08:06 PM

i'm gonna try the Trutein...

Serendipitous
(Post Master Supreme)
01/27/12 10:33 PM

I ordered samples from Trutein on January 18th and they have yet to arrive. Contacted them on the 25th and dude said they were to ship out that day because they have been busy.

No cinnabun for home.

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
01/27/12 11:53 PM

they were "too busy" to send out samples a week later...?

yeah, maybe i won't spend my money on a company that treats customers like that...

FireInTheWhole
(Post Master Supreme)
01/28/12 02:44 AM

I really like the BodyTech Pro Tech 24 from Vitamin Shoppe. High quality isolate with a good taste and mixability.

wolfsburg2
(Post Master Supreme)
01/28/12 08:34 AM

I don't want the fitness police to attack me but if truetein is pricier than some orthe brands listed I'd spend my money elsewhere. I just don't think there is a lot o benefit to getting ultrapuremicrofiltered100percentorganicditriplepeptide protein versus something like Dymatize which is produced in house at a certified facility.

Just sayin. I am sure truetein is great.

wolfsburg2
(Post Master Supreme)
01/28/12 11:35 AM

There aren't many big name proteins I haven't tried. Muscle milk and syntha 6 are great but calorie sense. Like I said before, for me Dymatize is the best option based on Value and quality. If I had ob1 money I'd buy mulch soon exclusively.

On is watery and mixes shitty. Prolab is pretty good stuff. Universal makes decent protein but it mixes a little crummy too. LG science makes a pea based protein that tastes a tiny bit wierd but is still good and mixes good. If you want to avoid meat based stuff that's an option.

EAS is okay, a decent value in the big.box stores.

Jrobski
(Post Master Sr)
01/28/12 12:42 PM

I haven't used any powder yet. I like real food too much. Maybe when I get to the point where Val is and I up my caloric intake to maintain and build muscle, I'll use shakes as a meal replacement.

But fifty bones for some powder? I can handle it, but I'm too practical.

Serendipitous
(Post Master Supreme)
01/28/12 02:16 PM

Originally Posted By: DieZel
they were "too busy" to send out samples a week later...?

yeah, maybe i won't spend my money on a company that treats customers like that...

He did respond almost instantly to my email and apologized. As long as it gets here today or Monday I'll be fine with it.

I agree that there is probably almost zero benefit from buying expensive protein, but Trutein was recommended by a few FF posters so it's worth a try. I have been buying ON for years.

wolfsburg2
(Post Master Supreme)
01/28/12 02:39 PM

Reminds me a little of the hype from ultimate, another boutique company producing an ultraavailablesuperscrumdibbliumptious but ver pricey preworkout. Tons of people swear by it but I am not one to waste money when sufficient alternatives are available for way less.

Tangent over!

Serendipitous
(Post Master Supreme)
01/28/12 04:09 PM

Crossfit looks like fun. Not enough for me to spend my own money on it, but I get it.

Brotein just came in the mail today. I have six samples to try, so I'll be super yoked by next week.

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
01/28/12 07:16 PM

OB said ON mixed like shit...?

seems to dissolve very well but i use a little hand mixer... i'm assuming you're referring to just a shaker bottle...?

Silock
(Post Master Supreme)
01/28/12 09:44 PM

Originally Posted By: wolfsburg2
Reminds me a little of the hype from ultimate, another boutique company producing an ultraavailablesuperscrumdibbliumptious but ver pricey preworkout. Tons of people swear by it but I am not one to waste money when sufficient alternatives are available for way less.

Tangent over!

I don't like it because of the "tech" in it. It just tastes awesome and has super-low calories.

wolfsburg2
(Post Master Supreme)
01/28/12 11:01 PM

I feel the same way about Dymatize elite gourmet.

Serendipitous
(Post Master Supreme)
01/29/12 02:12 PM

Ever try Dymatize Elite Whey Isolate? Under $40 for 5lbs, 114 cal and 24g protein - looks like a winner.

Silock
(Post Master Supreme)
01/29/12 06:23 PM

I don't like the taste.

wolfsburg2
(Post Master Supreme)
01/30/12 05:54 AM

I got a 10 serving bag of the Dymatize elite isolate in rich chocolate and I dig it. Reminds me a but if ON chocolate but better.

(Post Master Supreme)
01/30/12 06:30 AM

I've always used isopure, too much extra shit in everyones protein powders, muscle milk is probably the worst shit you could put in your body lol. Tastes amazing though.

Silock
(Post Master Supreme)
01/30/12 07:21 AM

Muscle Milk has a weird aftertaste.

wolfsburg2
(Post Master Supreme)
01/30/12 09:45 AM

Muscle milk is too fatty and very low in protein per scoop. It's tasty though and a good way for the masses to get into protein consumption.

Jrobski
(Post Master Sr)
01/30/12 10:21 AM

<---- Just had a muscle milk protein shake. \:\(

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
01/30/12 12:22 PM

i never bought into the whole muscle milk craze... the macro percentages are way off, ESPECIALLY for after your workouts... at least that's how it was years ago... i don't WANT or NEED 12-15g fat immediately following my workouts... i want that anabolic uptake that happens 30-60 minutes after training and all that fat only slows down uptake up carbs and protein...

EDIT: i just looked at their site and it seems that it's still 14g fat per 2 scoops which is the recommended serving size... LAME... 7g of saturated fats...? YAY...

furball
(Post Master Sr)
01/30/12 12:24 PM

AllMax IsoFlex ... Haven't had it in awhile, but they have a chocolate flavour with choco bits .. You have to swish your drink around to get the bits of choco.

Serendipitous
(Post Master Supreme)
01/30/12 10:13 PM

Just inhaled a Trutein Cinnabun shake with milk: as advertised. Very tasty for a protein shake, hid the sucralose taste, and blended well. Good stuff at a steep price.

PA2KFBPSI
(Post Master)
02/01/12 10:09 AM

priceplow.com they find the cheapest per gram or oz and link you to that site.

I have found that EAS with Whey BCAAs @ BJs is hard to beat for content and price.
23g per scoop @ 120 calories and mid/upper 30 dollar range for a 5 dollar bag.

My next step is to start taking Casein before bed.

PA2KFBPSI
(Post Master)
02/01/12 10:15 AM

BTW...God's gift to protein drinkers

wolfsburg2
(Post Master Supreme)
02/01/12 11:02 AM

BPI is on wheycheap today, $30 for 5lbs. Tough to beat. I can't speak too much about the profile.

Jeff_Z28
(Post Master)
02/01/12 12:31 PM

Originally Posted By: PA2KFBPSI

I have about 6 of those now. It mixed sooo much better and doesn't leak a drop.

wolfsburg2
(Post Master Supreme)
02/01/12 12:48 PM

Love blender bottles. We have 3, the lid seal is the best part, they are beefy mofo.

FireInTheWhole
(Post Master Supreme)
02/01/12 09:20 PM

BPI is on wheycheap today, $30 for 5lbs. Tough to beat. I can't speak too much about the profile.

Thanks for the heads up, but it's crap. Only 50 servings and it has a lot of carbs.

TakeItToPM
(Post Master Sr)
02/01/12 11:35 PM

Love blender bottles. We have 3, the lid seal is the best part, they are beefy mofo.

They can't take a hit from a golf cart...cat confirmed it was dead.

HX_Guy
(Post Master Supreme)
02/02/12 12:05 AM

I prefer something like this. I use a 16oz plastic cup, put in the protein and water, mix it up with the hand blender then throw away the cup...no cleanup! Well, aside from singing off the blender real quick.

Impulsive
(Post Master Supreme)
02/02/12 08:27 AM

The Kaizen stuf I use, I just stir. Nice not needed a special contraption.

Krys
(Post Master Supreme)
03/03/12 08:23 AM

I finally got my Truetein samples in. The flavor is really good, but it seems to mix really thick compared to the powders I've used in the past (ON, Nectar) - like drinking cupcake batter. Flavor is really good though.

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
03/03/12 09:51 AM

i haven't had that experience with my Trutein at all...

but after further review i think the Cinnabun is a bit "overdone"... could do without some of the sweetness...

their milk chocolate flavor is pretty good though...

Krys
(Post Master Supreme)
03/03/12 10:08 AM

I got some of that as well, some of the vanilla, and chocolate peanut butter. I'll try them and see.

It was strange - I used an extra half cup of unsweetened almond milk and it was still too thick for me (that's what she said? ) I tried the Cinnabon flavor this morning.

I've been using Nectar in Chocolate Truffle and it mixes on the thin side, so maybe it's just me being used to that.

Serendipitous
(Post Master Supreme)
03/03/12 11:21 AM

I bought a tub of Dymatize Elite Whey Isolate in chocolate mint, and it's solid for $37. Mixes great, 117cal/24g protein per serving, and the taste is good. Not Trutein good, but at over 15 bucks less I'm not complaining.

DieZel
(Post Master Supreme)
03/03/12 12:00 PM

ive only mixed mine with water so that may be the difference in our findings...

gamby
(Post Master Supreme)
03/03/12 01:48 PM

EAS chocolate whey [23g protein per scoop](from Target) mixed with 1/2 glass Silk dark chocolate almond milk/ 1/2 glass water (or 1/2 choc soymilk 1/2 water) is tasty.

I stir it in when it's 1/2 full, add water, stir again. It's still chunky, but I deal with it. I just treat it like a big shot.

I equated it to a friend of mine as being "like blowing a giant chocolate goblin"

Once I start doing long Saturday outdoor bike rides again, I'm probably going to try the Gatorade recovery drink. Not as much protein (15g IIRC), but it seems to make more sense logistically. Keep it in a cooler, chug it down before loading the bike back into the car in the bike path parking lot.

Silock
(Post Master Supreme)
03/03/12 02:55 PM

Originally Posted By: DieZel
i haven't had that experience with my Trutein at all...

but after further review i think the Cinnabun is a bit "overdone"... could do without some of the sweetness...

their milk chocolate flavor is pretty good though...

That's weird. If I have any complaints about the flavor, it's that there's too much cinnamon.

jamesj200
(Poster)
03/04/12 06:18 PM

From my experience, every protein mixes just fine with one of these.

I'm currently cutting weight, and made the switch from cytosport to ON because its a much "cleaner" protein. I'm still curious about myofusion tho. Hear a lot of good things about it.

Silock
(Post Master Supreme)
03/04/12 06:26 PM

Myofusion tastes great, and is relatively low-cal per serving. 150. A few calories here and there shouldn't make or break anyone's diet.