charlie_td1
(Post Master Supreme)
05/18/16 06:38 PM
uuuugh IT Band..

marathon training starts in 2 weeks and I'm having IT Band issues...I'm doing 4-5 mile runs at a slightly slower than normal pace 4 times a week, and not having too much pain, but it's getting close to crunch time and I'm getting nervous... \:\(

Sir Ironpool
(Post Master Supreme)
05/19/16 12:13 AM
Re: uuuugh IT Band..

The one time I had it I had It early on in my endurance career I had to take a full month of with zero running to shake it.

robbbby
(Post Master Supreme)
05/19/16 06:26 AM

Do LOTS of hip flexor stretching before/after exercise. You can't actually stretch your IT band, it's like a piece of sheet metal but you can stretch your hip flexors where the IT band attaches. I had really bad IT band issues years ago from cycling, just absolutely awful knee pain that kept me off the bike for a long time. Started stretching the fuck out of hip flexors and continue to do so, I've never had problems since and I ride more than ever now.

Impulsive
(Post Master Supreme)
05/19/16 09:07 AM

My IT band only feels sore when I foam roll it, but I know it's tight as fuck. My hips are the culprit. They are TIGHT and I stretch a lot which helped a bit. I think sitting at a desk is what fucks me.

I've never had any issues cycling though other than some minor knee irritation (not even bad enough to call it pain). It's running that bothers my hips, soleus and gives me some achilles tendonitis.

(Post Master Supreme)
05/19/16 10:55 AM

go see a sports therapist and have it massaged and then look at ways on how to maintain it, roll it out, do your own maintenance. You don't drive your car and not change the oil every time it's due so why perform an endurance sport and not take care of your limbs you use to perform it.

Design
(Post Master Supreme)
05/19/16 11:31 AM

Agree on the PT. They'll narrow down the issue (muscle imbalance, leg alignment, etc) and recommend targeted exercises to keep it in check. Anything else is just a crapshoot.

schtickaz.ai
(Post Master Supreme)
05/19/16 12:06 PM

I'm hardly an expert but my go-to move in this scenarios is to take 4-6 weeks off [minimum or longer if it isnt feeling better but so far 4 weeks seems to do the trick]. In my downtime I focus on non running and even non biking as that can aggravate a running related thing to. So I just swim and do weights/stretch.

It's like a nice mini-vacation. Much better to roll into a marathon healthy/undertrained a little than injured ofc. Plus you can always bail. I think I have a new rule now: if sick/injured: bail on your event. Watched a buddy do the SF half last month with a nasty headcold. He looked like absolute shit, went 20 minutes over expected time, and proved absolutely nothing to himself haha.

gamby
(Post Master Supreme)
05/26/16 12:30 AM

Do this often:

Foam roller on IT band