Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#107553 - 07/30/05 04:20 PM H22 or H23 Swap into a 93 Civic CX
sleeper93 Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
So this is my 1st Piston car ever. I've had Rx7's all my life with Rotary Engines, so I have no clue. I picked up this 93 Civic CX, and quite honestly the power of this motor sucks balls. It's got like 70hp maximum. Well I guess the question I have is:

Am I able to Swap a H22 or H23 Motor into My Civic.

What I need to know is, is it able to be done? Do I have to get a different tranny? I have a 5sp tranny at the moment. Are there any kits out there, that I could buy that would help make this swap easier? Are there any tutorials on how to do something like this?

Any help or knowledge on this would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks
Sleeper93

Visit Sponsors! Help CSi !
#107554 - 07/30/05 06:07 PM Re: H22 or H23 Swap into a 93 Civic CX
HCivic02 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: CA
It will fit, its going to be a tight / lil complicated but it will work. You need to get engine mounts at the very least...you will want a new tranny as well..

Also, you are a idiot, once rotary, always rotary....(just messing) (kind of)

#107555 - 07/30/05 06:33 PM Re: H22 or H23 Swap into a 93 Civic CX
sleeper93 Offline

No, No idiot here. I've had 13 1st Gen Rx7's, but I wanted to expand my knowledge and make a sleeper Street legal (under the hood) dragger. So basically there will be no body kit's or "typical" rice shit, just a super nice motor under the hood, Turbo'd or Supercharged, havne't decided yet.

Do you know what Tranny I will need, and am I going to have to end up replacing anything else.... ie Driveline, Electronics.....

#107556 - 07/31/05 12:02 AM Re: H22 or H23 Swap into a 93 Civic CX
Slurp56 Moderator Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: S21
You need a motor, tranny, ecu, axles, shifter cables, motor mounts, and some wiring modifications.

If you check out www.hmotorsonline.com look for the H22 complete changeover then check out the options for the axle combo and motor mounts.

None of your stock civic stuff will work with the motor. You'll need to pull the engine harness off of the stock motor and put it on the new H22, then modify it to work and add wires to make everything work. Keep in mind that the H22 header wont mate up to your stock civic exhaust, so you'll need to take it to a muffler shop or be handy with a welder.

If you dont feel comfortable doing such a swap (its one of the most involved for that car) then call Import Specialty Automotive in Tacoma. Ask for Donny and tell him I sent you his way. I know they do top notch work and will swap it in the car correctly.

#107557 - 07/31/05 01:56 AM Re: H22 or H23 Swap into a 93 Civic CX
sleeper93 Offline

Awsome thanks for the suggestion. Well I have about $2000.00 to play with, and well the engine that is in it is just not cutting it. Would there be a better option then a H22? Maybe something that is less involved, the main reason I mentioned h22 or h23 is that a friend was like "go with this motor" frankly I have no clue, but I do want something a bit faster.

Let me know some good other suggestions, or maybe a price range of what i'm looking at. The main purpose of this car is to be a sleeper to the general public, but be able to take it to the track on the weekends, and blow the shit out of people. I'll do the full roll cage, but as for mods on exterior, well that isn't going to happen.

Thanks for the info that you have given me so far, just curious if there is maybe a more easier motor for me to do.

#107558 - 07/31/05 02:38 AM Re: H22 or H23 Swap into a 93 Civic CX
Post Master Sr

well the easier it gets the less power you make. A good option for you is a GSR motor motor, but all said and done, its going to cost about the same as the H22 swap. The B18C TypeR motor can go into your car and make good power, but thats spendy. The K20a can go into your car, but thats more involved than the H22 but makes good power.

Whats this car going to be used for, is it your daily driver and would it be hard to get a ride to work while you repair it? The H22 can make good power, but if you talk to the owners, they'll tell you it eats axles, especially if you lower the car. Dont get me wrong, plenty of the H22 civic drivers use their car to get to work and back every day, but the axle thing is a consideration and its not as bad as it sounds.

What kind of power are you trying to make in the long run and what are you going to use the car for?

If you just want a little more umph, a B20 is a good choice as well.

#107559 - 07/31/05 02:55 AM Re: H22 or H23 Swap into a 93 Civic CX
HCivic02 Offline
Post Master Supreme

lifetime warrianties on axles fixes everything

#107560 - 07/31/05 12:15 PM Re: H22 or H23 Swap into a 93 Civic CX
sleeper93 Offline

The car will mainly be used as a daily driver, but then on the weekends, it will be at the Races, either street, autocross, or drags. I'm looking to get around a 9-11 sec car. I'm fully aware that do do this i'll either need a turbo or NOS. I was thinking the H22 with TT & NOS.

The price for a used JDM H22 is near $1300.00 shipped, so that gives me another $700.00 to play with the conversion cost and the Turbo setup. $600.00 should be enough for the NOS. I have both turbo's and am willing to fab up a system myself.

Mainly the car is going to be a complete sleeper, and unless you were to listen to the engine you'd never know what it had under the hood.

#107561 - 07/31/05 04:18 PM Re: H22 or H23 Swap into a 93 Civic CX
HCivic02 Offline
Post Master Supreme

single turbo will give you way more horsepower...

#107562 - 08/01/05 12:29 AM Re: H22 or H23 Swap into a 93 Civic CX
sleeper93 Offline

So where do I end up findign a place that gives lifetime warrenty on the axles?

Yes the TT was idea only becuase I have 2 Greddy's sitting next to me. I'll probably end up doing just one of them, as I like HP better than Trq

#107563 - 08/01/05 01:32 AM Re: H22 or H23 Swap into a 93 Civic CX
Post Master Sr

You'd have a hard time passing a 9 second honda for a daily driver, sounds like you're building a track car. The $1,300 for an H22 I would assume is the motor only, typically complete changeovers go for over $2,000. then mounts and axles, you're probably closer to over $3,000 final price shipped.

Typically when you say 9-11 second car, I think drag, not auto cross, and keep in mind that the H22 is a tight fit in that engine bay, so your turbo setup is going to be pretty tight.

Good luck with it. If you are looking to make that much power, look at after market axle setup's, high horsepower stuff.

#107564 - 08/29/05 07:57 AM Re: H22 or H23 Swap into a 93 Civic CX
stankin99EX Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Portland, Oregon
You are going to need alot more than the motor, you are going to need motor mounts and a GOOD set of axles if you are looking to make that kind of power. The mounts are 400+$, and axles will be just as much depending on what you buy. With only 2000$ this is not the swap for you.

My h22a-swapped civic had a hard time keeping the axles in once piece and it was only running mid 13's. A friend of mine running nearly the same setup was regularly breaking axles at the track.

I would look into a B20 and then start modifying that.

#107565 - 09/11/05 05:50 AM Re: H22 or H23 Swap into a 93 Civic CX
2.2RoadRunner Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Seattle
like you'd know anything

lol hey Chas.

If you wanna make crazy h22 power, get an h23 crank (that strokes it 5mm) and you can make upwards of 600 whp without major mods. Thats the same setup Papadakis used to run in hsi h22 powered car. The crank bolts right in, you'll have to mod the oil squiters a bit to make them fit. I just took them out. Obviously you will need to build the motor from scratch, you can't boost more than 7psi on h22s due to the type of sleeves they use.

To get into the 9's reliably you're lookin at investing at least 20 grand. AT LEAST. Just something to consider.

Listen to my sets -
http://soundcloud.com/brian-falls

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Slurp56, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads