Topic Options
#1288920 - 04/23/07 08:41 PM why not to let someone else drive your car
TJ213 Offline
Major Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
unless they really know what they are doing

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3197431

Visit Sponsors! Help CSi !
#1289056 - 04/23/07 09:13 PM Re: why not to let someone else drive your car [Re: TJ213]
TinmanEM1 Offline
Jr Member

Loc: Alpharetta, GA
A friend of mine sent me this link earlier. Messed up stuff. You would think that it was a poor course design, but all the people who were there don't seem to think so. I'm going to guess that something was poorly planned, though, if there are spectator cars parked anywhere near the run-off area.

#1289145 - 04/23/07 09:45 PM Re: why not to let someone else drive your car [Re: TinmanEM1]
TJ213 Offline
Major Member

I think it was a combination of the driver pushing an unfamiliar car too far, and the parked cars being too close, but from what I read they didn't have any space to put the cars elsewhere.

but at least nobody was working on those cars when it happened. Imagine if you were between the subie and the audi changing tire pressure

#1289465 - 04/23/07 11:17 PM Re: why not to let someone else drive your car [Re: TJ213]
CivicRacerExR Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Landisville, PA, USA
From the Honda-Tech forum a guy let his friend drive his 4th run in his Corvette. Guy went across finish line and instead of hitting the brakes hit the clutch pedal. How the heck? Feel bad for the Porsche though. Looks like it's been to Nationals or tours.
Buy my Civic parts!

#1290612 - 04/24/07 10:03 AM Re: why not to let someone else drive your car [Re: CivicRacerExR]
TinmanEM1 Offline
Jr Member

Yeah, not really sure how you do that. Apparently the guy who was driving had already plowed through the cones at the finish in his own Corvette, then got behind the wheel of this.

#1291588 - 04/24/07 02:24 PM Re: why not to let someone else drive your car [Re: TinmanEM1]
TJ213 Offline
Major Member

how do you confuse the brake with the clutch, you don't even hit them with the same foot? he could at least of tried to steer away from the row of cars and people.

I do feel bad for the porshe, but I think a higher power may be trying to tell him something about that vinyl \:D

#1293571 - 04/24/07 10:03 PM Re: why not to let someone else drive your car [Re: TJ213]
skierd Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
a) This really sucks. Really really sucks. I'm guessing next year's events will cost more everywhere due to more stringent insurance requirements. \:\( I really really really hope everyone involved signed the event waiver...

b) I hate the vortex.

#1293924 - 04/24/07 11:23 PM Re: why not to let someone else drive your car [Re: TJ213]
CivicRacerExR Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Landisville, PA, USA
Originally Posted By: TJ213
how do you confuse the brake with the clutch, you don't even hit them with the same foot? he could at least of tried to steer away from the row of cars and people.

Now the story goes that it was the Porsche that ran into all the cars.

But I'm guessing you have never driven a race car before. IN some cars the clutch, brake and gas pedals are about 6-10" apart. I drove a B-mod car last year. I actually had to squeeze into the seat and once I was in there I didn't get out at all \:\) I probably didn't need to wear a harness cause I wasn't going anywhere. The pedals were about 2" apart from each other. Turn the steering wheel 2 degrees (about 1-2") and the whole car made a u-turn.

Edited by CivicRacerExR (04/25/07 11:39 PM)
Buy my Civic parts!

#1295265 - 04/25/07 10:46 AM Re: why not to let someone else drive your car [Re: CivicRacerExR]
TJ213 Offline
Major Member

ummm, sounds like the perfect car for a friend who couldn't stop their corvette to drive on the course
#1295381 - 04/25/07 11:10 AM Re: why not to let someone else drive your car [Re: TJ213]
TinmanEM1 Offline
Jr Member

The whole situation is just poor decision on top of poor decision...with a dash of poor driving on top.

#1706247 - 08/01/07 12:37 AM Re: why not to let someone else drive your car [Re: TinmanEM1]
SRT2Si? Offline

Loc: Parma, Ohio
Judging by the impact i would say the porsche hit the celica, but who knows. That sucks for a lot of people.

-Brad

#2331466 - 02/15/08 02:14 PM Re: why not to let someone else drive your car [Re: SRT2Si?]
Mr. Knowitall. Offline
**banned**
Post Master Sr

Vortex post said the corvette driver was one of the fastest. Considering the cars, they are probably all very experienced.

#2331477 - 02/15/08 02:16 PM Re: why not to let someone else drive your car [Re: Mr. Knowitall.]
Mr. Knowitall. Offline
**banned**
Post Master Sr

This pic shows the rubber on the ground where the celica was hit by the Porsche. The celica is in front of the WRX, out of the shot past it's own front bumper.

#2383607 - 02/29/08 01:50 PM Re: why not to let someone else drive your car [Re: Mr. Knowitall.]
samkarp Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Milwaukee WI
Sorry to bring this back up again.....

This is what I know from this incident (which was nearly a year ago):

1. It was during post-event runs.

2. The driver in the Porsche normally drove an automatic Corvette that he left-foot-braked. He was also near the top of PAX that day, certainly not a newb.

3. The driver crossed the finish lights, went to left-foot brake to stop (as he was use too) and hit the clutch instead. Anyone who has driven a Porsche can tell you the pedal box is very small/narrow and this can happen quite easily.

4. The car was repaired as was present at the Solo Nationals in late September.

Our insurance rates did go up for 2008, but not because of this incident. Apparently it goes back to the event in Arizona (in 2006 I think) when a entrant lost his legs. That entrant then opted to take legal action and SCCA's insurance company increased the prices slightly. The increase was not huge and we are use to insurance increases year-to-year anyway.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Runnin@Redline Jr, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads