Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3040378 - 09/22/08 12:14 PM thinking about painting my stock si rims
elam215 Offline

hey clubsi, i'm thinking about painting my stock si rims flat black with a red lip and the honda logo to be red as well. any tips and ideas on how to make this come out as clean as possible? also recommendations on what paint to use and technique i guess haha. thanks!
Videos
#3040845 - 09/22/08 02:02 PM Re: thinking about painting my stock si rims [Re: elam215]
Design Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: The OC
PM Zachys. Otherwise he may post in a few days about how he had his done.
89 Camaro - Sold
CSI. What's your diversion?

#3041220 - 09/22/08 03:25 PM Re: thinking about painting my stock si rims [Re: Design]
elam215 Offline

yeah i tried to pm zachys but for some reason it said that he didnt accept pm's. but zachys, if you happen to see this, i hope you can help me out :), i like the work you did on ur stock rims. i wanted to do the same for my fa5's
#3041956 - 09/22/08 06:53 PM Re: thinking about painting my stock si rims [Re: elam215]
zachys Offline
Post Master Jr

Loc: 191whp 139wtq
real quick
1. Sanded the finish off the wheels with 800 grit sandpaper
2. Since my tires were mounted, Ed and Mike told me about letting the air out and sticking cards between the rim and tire for overspray. I used construction paper
3.Painted 3 coats of primer
4. Using Rallye Red I sprayed the outer lip (in TypeX's pics)
5. let dry for one hour then use a hairdryer to completely dry
6. Got some 6mm tape from the body shop supply store and masked just the flat part of the lip all the way around and adding 1/2'' tape to keep the edge of the rim red as well
7. 3 coats of NBP
8. After drying remove the tape covering the red
9. 3 coats clearcoat

For the center caps, I bought some vinyl red H's from the flea market and put them on after the NBP then clearcoat

Very easy but also very time consuming....usually anything pretty nice looking is

One good thing about painting rims is you can fix any curb rash or chips like I had

Primer was just a sandable spot filler. I chose black primer to make sure I had adequate coverage for my top coats
Black paint code is 5331
Red is 9094
Clear is Clear

Tape is like a masking tape. Don't know what kind, I went to the body shop supply store and asked for 6mm tape that wouldn't peel fresh paint. The blue is just painters tape from home depot but I only used that to tape the thin one to the over spray paper. With 800 grit sandpaper my total cost was around $75 for 8 cans of black (almost 2 full cans left over) 3 cans primer, 2 cans clear, 1 can red (almost didn't make it...used every bit in the can) and 2 rolls of tape

Mods I have = 209whp

#3044313 - 09/23/08 11:26 AM Re: thinking about painting my stock si rims [Re: zachys]
GasonlineDreams Offline
Jr Member

Loc: Schofield
Those look nice Zachys, but honestly if I wanted to change the color of my wheels, I would just get them powder coated. Super durable, and the cost up here from a local guy doing them is 100$ per set of wheels.
#3045769 - 09/23/08 05:10 PM Re: thinking about painting my stock si rims [Re: GasonlineDreams]
zachys Offline
Post Master Jr

Loc: 191whp 139wtq
 Originally Posted By: GasonlineDreams
Those look nice Zachys, but honestly if I wanted to change the color of my wheels, I would just get them powder coated. Super durable, and the cost up here from a local guy doing them is 100$ per set of wheels.

well you cant powdercoat 2 colors, only one so that was out plus thats a hell of a deal for you, theyre charging 75 per wheel to powdercoat here in NY

Mods I have = 209whp

#3045901 - 09/23/08 05:44 PM Re: thinking about painting my stock si rims [Re: zachys]
GasonlineDreams Offline
Jr Member

Loc: Schofield
 Originally Posted By: zachys
theyre charging 75 per wheel to powdercoat here in NY

Damn dude, that is highway robbery. Well compared to here.

#3049923 - 09/24/08 06:56 PM Re: thinking about painting my stock si rims [Re: GasonlineDreams]
Lost^
Unregistered

hmm those don't look bad at all painted
#3054067 - 09/25/08 09:44 PM Re: thinking about painting my stock si rims [Re: ]
#lodestar Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Not in Kansas anymore
hey zach what have you heard about the durablity of fixing curb rash. Will it take a mounting and not break the repair? I have only seen using bondo or body filler to do it, any other methods?

I take no joy in owning you people like this anymore. Now I just feel like I'm teaching a retarded class & doing God's work."
-Napoleon complex things

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Design, A_Mantis, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts