Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3127637 - 10/19/08 06:46 PM Selling car/scooter long distances... how to spot a scammer?
NOT spotch... Offline
Post Master Supreme

So I put the scooter up on craigslist because the first buyer flaked on me and the first time I listed it I got this shortly after::

Him::
 Quote:
hello,

I saw your ads on the site, I will like to know if still avaliable, If yes kindly get back to me.

Thanks.

I told him it was still available and explained the times that I would be available for him to come check it out, and he responded with:

Quote:

Hello thanks for your fast update about my enquires, so like you know about my interest of purchasing the item from you with no delay, i will like you to get back to me with the details below since i,m quite ok with its present state, and my payment will be will be check,

The Name you want on check
The address where check is to reach you
Your contact phone number Mobile and home
And your final asking price

So kindly get back to me with this details so that i can proceed with the payment as more question related to this item furthetmores thank you

Regards.

Mind you, this guy's never seen it in its 'present state'. I told him my name, and that I would only take a cashiers check, and that they shouldn't need all the information he's asking for in order to process one. That was the last I heard from him. Well today (day after original posting) I get this (from someone else?)::

Quote:
Hi, how are you doing today? i hope fine. I saw your advert online and i would like to let you know am interested, kindly get back to me if its still available for sale i will be looking forward to hear back from you.
Best regards,
Kim.

I tell her it's still available, tell her when I'd be free to meet for her to look at it, and this is the next reply I get.

Quote:

Hello
How are you doing, i hope fine and thanks for the reply. so i want to let you know am interested in buying it, i would want to know if it is in a good condition and no accidents history,also i would like to know your finial offer.I hope you accept a bank certified check as mode of payment,i have a shipper that will handle with the shipment.let me know if you are down with this. hope to hear back from you soon.take care and bye for now.
Kim.

So now I'm like 'wtf'. Not that someone buying from far away ALWAYS means a scam, but I'm leery. I remember hearing a consumer advocate warn of a scam where people send you a check, you deposit it, you ship the item out, and then 3-4 weeks later your bank sends you a letter 'oh btw, that check was a really good fraudulent check, we just caught it, now you don't have that money in your account and you're severely overdrawn'.

So wtf. How can you tell if it's a scammer, and what forms of payment should you accept and which should you refuse. I haven't replied back to this last email yet, I'm still trying to figure out if there's any chance that it's legit.

Edited by spotch (10/19/08 06:48 PM)

Videos
#3127657 - 10/19/08 06:59 PM Re: Selling car/scooter long distances... how to spot a scammer? [Re: NOT spotch...]
AMGSiR Offline
Post Master Sr

Yes, they are both scammers..
#3127673 - 10/19/08 07:15 PM Re: Selling car/scooter long distances... how to spot a scammer? [Re: AMGSiR]
NOT spotch... Offline
Post Master Supreme

Yeah, I mean i figured as much, but these two aside, say I get a more legitimate sounding offer from someone not in Nigeria. Other than cash what's most-safe for these kinds of things. Are cashiers checks even dangerous like personal checks can be?
#3127720 - 10/19/08 07:40 PM Re: Selling car/scooter long distances... how to spot a scammer? [Re: NOT spotch...]
allan r Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: the land of cheese
my first clue is how "she" said both the phrases "kindly" and "let me know if you are down with this". what kind of person would have both of those in their vocabulary, lol.

anyway a cashiers check (from a real, actual bank) is about as legitimate as you can get. they have to go right to the bank to get it.

#3127737 - 10/19/08 07:47 PM Re: Selling car/scooter long distances... how to spot a scammer? [Re: allan r]
LNXGUY Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
One thing about the scammers is that they never ask specifically about the item, it's just "the item" or something stupid like that.

#3127771 - 10/19/08 08:09 PM Re: Selling car/scooter long distances... how to spot a scammer? [Re: LNXGUY]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canadistan
yup. bullshit.

#3127817 - 10/19/08 08:27 PM Re: Selling car/scooter long distances... how to spot a scammer? [Re: Euphoricuck]
skierd Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
How much are you selling it for? I'm looking for two wheeled transport. Sent you a pm...

#3127906 - 10/19/08 08:59 PM Re: Selling car/scooter long distances... how to spot a scammer? [Re: skierd]
scootergeek Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: East of St. Louis
If it feels wrong, it is. I'd make a note in your ad (can you update the ad?) that you won't ship, they need to pick up in person.

cheers,
scott

#3127908 - 10/19/08 09:00 PM Re: Selling car/scooter long distances... how to spot a scammer? [Re: scootergeek]
scootergeek Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: East of St. Louis
If skierd doesn't buy it, I'd also put it up on scoot.net classifieds and the for sale board on the international scooterist BBS.

cheers,
scott

#3128231 - 10/19/08 10:36 PM Re: Selling car/scooter long distances... how to spot a scammer? [Re: scootergeek]
theLoon Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: MN
Seriously? Put down the crack pipe saspotch. If you can't tell that those are scammers, you need to unplug your internets.

#3128395 - 10/19/08 11:12 PM Re: Selling car/scooter long distances... how to spot a scammer? [Re: scootergeek]
NOT spotch... Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: scootergeek
If skierd doesn't buy it, I'd also put it up on scoot.net classifieds and the for sale board on the international scooterist BBS.

cheers,
scott

Yeah I put it on scoot.net, I haven't done the other one yet. We shall see. I sent skierd some info and a guy up the street mentioned buying it a couple months ago but I got a lowball vibe from him so I've been trying to avoid that.

#3128402 - 10/19/08 11:14 PM Re: Selling car/scooter long distances... how to spot a scammer? [Re: theLoon]
NOT spotch... Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: theLoon
Seriously? Put down the crack pipe saspotch. If you can't tell that those are scammers, you need to unplug your internets.

HEY I SAID I HAD A FEELING DIDN'T I!? I knew the first guy was, I think the 2nd one was just wishful thinking. When I re-read my post here I was like "Motherfuck, there isn't a chance in hell she's legit". Who the fuck gets scammed twice in 24 hours or less on a goddamn scooter for sale!? Why don't they go find someone selling an r6 or something valuable lol. What's next, scamming people out of used toasters and disks 1, 2, 4 and 7 of the full house season 17 boxed set?

Edited by spotch (10/19/08 11:14 PM)

#3128415 - 10/19/08 11:17 PM Re: Selling car/scooter long distances... how to spot a scammer? [Re: theLoon]
Nealoc187 Offline
<3
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Lisle, IL formerly Kalamazoo, ...
Both of those emails are so fucking scammalicious it's retarded. No one from this country types like that. Sell the shit on a forum, forget craigslist.

#3128537 - 10/19/08 11:54 PM Re: Selling car/scooter long distances... how to spot a scammer? [Re: Nealoc187]
Submission Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Houston, TX
real buyers on craigslist usually communicate w/ grunts and clicks, never full sentences.

or if they do speak english you get this:

Quote:
I know you are looking to sell the Coupe before the end of the week. My boyfriend is very interested in purchasing it from you but at the most so soon we may be able to give you up to half up front and the other half in 2 weeks or so.

Would you be interested in this kind of negotiation? We can sign payment term agreement and have it notarized or we can pay you the half and when we have the remainder we can go pick up the vehicle.

#3128635 - 10/20/08 12:46 AM Re: Selling car/scooter long distances... how to spot a scammer? [Re: Submission]
fellfrosch7 Offline
Post Master

Loc: Las Vegas
Also, cashiers checks are a potential scam too. Sad but true. You deposit it, it clears immediately, you send off the item, and 6 weeks later you get a letter from your bank saying you cashed a bad cashier's check and YOU'RE responsible for the money.

Don't do it unless you can call the bank that issued the check and verify the check number/account number on it.

#3128842 - 10/20/08 07:29 AM Re: Selling car/scooter long distances... how to spot a scammer? [Re: fellfrosch7]
NOT spotch... Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: fellfrosch7
Also, cashiers checks are a potential scam too. Sad but true. You deposit it, it clears immediately, you send off the item, and 6 weeks later you get a letter from your bank saying you cashed a bad cashier's check and YOU'RE responsible for the money.

Don't do it unless you can call the bank that issued the check and verify the check number/account number on it.

Awesome, good idea. You too chuck.

#3128999 - 10/20/08 09:15 AM Re: Selling car/scooter long distances... how to spot a scam [Re: fellfrosch7]
Vandemar Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Seattle
 Originally Posted By: fellfrosch7
When doing this, don't use the phone number on the check- google the institution either by name or routing number, and call them at a number listed somewhere else.

#3129103 - 10/20/08 09:56 AM Re: Selling car/scooter long distances... how to spot a scammer? [Re: NOT spotch...]
CommonGutterTrash Offline
This user is more useless than a half-baked compost pile.
Post Master Sr

Loc: Boston MA
to add to THAT.
do NOT call the number embossed in the check.
google the bank, and call a different branch than what's listed on the cashiers check.

I know with BofA, our branch numbers are put on the check, as well as a #.
Some of the thorough scammers will list a phone #, or set up fake sites for the banks listed. when you call the #, someone, part of the scam) is sitting
there, and introduces themself as an employee of the bank, and they're glad to verify the funds on the check; sometimes with VERY little info.

It had happened to me a couple times, actually. customers would have called the number and been told the check was good, but when I googled the bank and called the actual customer service #, they'd almost-immediately be able to tell me that checks had been stolen, or duplicated.

There was a while where someone had gotten something like 1000 corporate checks from Staples, and was scamming people with scholarships/business grants.
1996 Galant

AIM = gclipse96

#3129164 - 10/20/08 10:18 AM Re: Selling car/scooter long distances... how to spot a scammer? [Re: NOT spotch...]
pete5332000 Offline

Loc: 7426 Hubbard Avenue, Middleton...
 Originally Posted By: spotch
 Originally Posted By: theLoon

HEY I SAID I HAD A FEELING DIDN'T I!? I knew the first guy was, I think the 2nd one was just wishful thinking. When I re-read my post here I was like "Motherfuck, there isn't a chance in hell she's legit". Who the fuck gets scammed twice in 24 hours or less on a goddamn scooter for sale!? Why don't they go find someone selling an r6 or something valuable lol. What's next, scamming people out of used toasters and disks 1, 2, 4 and 7 of the full house season 17 boxed set?

I listed one of my beatup trucks for $500 on craigslist, got 2 scammers in the first 4 hours. Seriously, who wants to ship a 20 year old $500 truck? It still had deer hair in the grill. Personally I wouldn't take a check for anything I list on craigslist unless the person is local. I live outside of a town of ~1800 where it seems like everyone is related so I'm damn sure I can track them down if necessary lol in-breeding.
'00 Civic Si '90 GMC Sierra (broken) '88 Chevy 1/2 ton (fixed) Oh, this is the new, kinder, gentler SvA. None of that sarcastic, hateful, flaming for the sake of flaming crap. We're just gonna discuss tech stuff & get along with everyone. If you like, later on we're gonna toast marshmallows & make smores around a burning barrel of diesel while the diabetics & Atkins freaks sing kumbaya & braid each others' hair. - NOHC

#3129836 - 10/20/08 01:36 PM Re: Selling car/scooter long distances... how to spot a scammer? [Re: pete5332000]
fellfrosch7 Offline
Post Master

Loc: Las Vegas
Solid info all around here, guys. \:\)

Personally I would just hold out for a local cash deal. Might take a little longer but you're 100% covered.

Although... for cash deals larger than $100 or so, I like to meet during the day in well lit and camera monitored areas if possible - banks, grocery stores, etc. I've heard stories of people trying to buy or sell big ticket items that are physically small like cameras, laptops, or game systems and getting mugged for either the item or their cash.

#3129903 - 10/20/08 01:59 PM Re: Selling car/scooter long distances... how to spot a scammer? [Re: fellfrosch7]
NOT spotch... Offline
Post Master Supreme

Yeah good point, My plan was to meet whoever the buyer was a couple miles from my house at a popular shopping center (almost everyone knows where it is). Then I can just hop the bus home.
#3131589 - 10/20/08 10:58 PM Re: Selling car/scooter long distances... how to spot a scam [Re: NOT spotch...]
theLoon Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: MN
I've actually had pretty good success on Craigslist in the past couple of years, but it might be because I'm dealing in low-scam probability items. All the following were negotiated on Craigslist:

I met a guy at a restaurant parking lot to buy a set of used tires.

Went to a guys house to buy another set of used tires.

Went to another guy's house to buy a Burley bike trailer.

Went to another guy's house for a set of M3 wheels/tires.

Had a guy come to my house to buy a car.

Had a guy come to my house to buy a set of BMW wheels/tires.

Had a guy come to my house to buy a set of used tires.

Met a guy at a local mall to sell an Xbox 360.

The only sketchy one was the Xbox. In all cases, I spoke to the buyer/seller on the phone and felt good about the setup, and I've turned down plenty of deals that were questionable. When people come to my house, I always have the stuff on the lawn or alley, they barely come on the property. All deals were cash. And in all cases, am constantly on the alert to signs of ze ol scamorama. In the past five years, the only person I've been scammed by was a relative

#3134403 - 10/21/08 08:16 PM Re: Selling car/scooter long distances... how to spot a scam [Re: theLoon]
89GT50 Online   content
Post Master Sr

I've had great luck with Craigslist, too, but I always get those messages when I list something. The more you follow them up the more they'll flat out turn into one of those Nigerian prince emails. It's funny.
#3135891 - 10/22/08 10:12 AM Re: Selling car/scooter long distances... how to spot a scam [Re: 89GT50]
normaspirated Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Nevada
 Originally Posted By: 89GT50
The more you follow them up the more they'll flat out turn into one of those Nigerian prince emails. It's funny.

BUT HE IS THE HEIR TO THE THRONE OF ZAMUNDA!

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  auxilary, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads