Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#3735105 - 05/14/09 10:48 PM Re: I don't drink milk but... [Re: GB]
DanTSiAWD Offline
Poster

Loc: Bay Area, CA
We have been busy lately, but I had a little time to work on the 912 which required immediate attention.

First, the turn signals stopped working. They were pretty rough in the first place. They didn't shut off automatically when finishing a turn, and the right signal was becoming hard to engage. Finally last night, right stopped working altogether. Then left this morning. I also broke my driver-side window roller this week, so I couldn't easily roll down my window to perform those cool hand signals.

So I took off the steering wheel and disassembled the column slightly. Luckily it's all easy to move, just requiring a few screws. While I was in there I cleaned everything nice and pretty. I couldn't find anything damaged in the signals, but it was definitely stuck. James suggested contact cleaner, and after a few sprays (and dirty paper towels later) the signal started working. I continued to clean up the little cluster of complex gears and finally sprayed a dry lubricant on when I was finished. Now they work like new!

I reassembled the wheel but somehow lost the horn in the process. I will have to fix that this weekend.

I also mentioned before that the lack of mirrors was making the car pretty dangerous to drive. The car came from the factory with only the driver's side, and I plan to keep it this way. Here's some ugly plastic aftermarket mirrors the previous driver had installed:

They looked tacky and actually were really bad mirrors, constantly moved around etc. Shown also is the stock mirror. But I realized this was from a 66-67 model, so I swapped out for this larger one:

I purchased the small one on Craigslist for $30, the bigger for $45.

One of the most unappealing things about the car was the rear deck lid grille. This piece is notorious for being warped or damaged (look at 68 and 69 911s, 912s and you'll see what I mean). Mine was missing a couple bars and many others were bent (this is after I tried straightening them out):

I popped into Parts Heaven in Hayward and saw this one on a 911E, so I quickly purchased and installed it:

Big improvement eh?

SOLD AP1 S2000 GPW/red, 1992 Talon TSI AWD (12.9@105), 1984/1986/1999 Mustang 5/5/4.6

Videos
#3735239 - 05/14/09 11:34 PM Re: I don't drink milk but... [Re: DanTSiAWD]
silentfurymm Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: SoCal....again
Good stuff. What are you going to do about the rust in the floorpan?
#3735260 - 05/14/09 11:41 PM Re: I don't drink milk but... [Re: silentfurymm]
NOT spotch... Offline
Post Master Supreme

huge improvement

#3735368 - 05/15/09 12:30 AM Re: I don't drink milk but... [Re: silentfurymm]
DanTSiAWD Offline
Poster

Originally Posted By: silentfurymm
Good stuff. What are you going to do about the rust in the floorpan?

I'm trying to score some newer galvanized floor pans to replace the rusty section of mine (rather than replace the whole thing). I also have some Eastwood rust converter and encapsulator that I'll get around to one of these weekends.

SOLD AP1 S2000 GPW/red, 1992 Talon TSI AWD (12.9@105), 1984/1986/1999 Mustang 5/5/4.6

#3739413 - 05/16/09 06:12 PM Re: I don't drink milk but... [Re: DanTSiAWD]
SiOfRelief
Unregistered

Nice project
#3760617 - 05/23/09 07:11 PM Re: I don't drink milk but... [Re: ]
DanTSiAWD Offline
Poster

Thanks guys.
Another week down and a couple new additions to the 912. I'm driving it every day now, and the car's loosening up nicely. It's a lot of fun and gets plenty of stares (maybe because it -looks- so old with this paint being flat, beat-up etc.)

The whole time, I've been driving it with the interior gutted to bare metal except the dash and driver's seat. Since all the rust scraping and brushing was now complete, I finally had the time to apply the Eastwood 2-part rust converter.

You take 4 parts of one solution (resembles slimy, thick kool-aid) and mix it with 1 part of the wetting solution (resembles alcohol) and stir. It looks like thick purple paint when you're done mixing. I used a spray can cap for the measuring tool.

I used a tiny foam roller and tray ($3 at Walmart) to apply. I went over every bit of rust and most of the painted stuff too just for good measure, applying a really thick, wet coat. After an hour or so I applied another. Within minutes, the rust begins to turn black.

I did about 1/4 of the interior at a time, and it took ~3 hours to do the whole interior.

The "before" pictures from earlier:

Half-way done:

A couple hours later, the rust was now all completely black, as black as death. No rust dust comes off it, etc.

It's pretty neat stuff because it starts out gooey and sticky, then over time it dries up and it only affects the rust. The areas with some leftover factory paint don't change colors.

It's been days now and the interior finally has no more rust smell. The next step is the Eastwood rust encapsulator, which will coat everything in a rust-sealed paint with a heavy top-coat, then I'll worry about any leftover small holes or areas that need patching, such as the back seat cushion area.

Today I had a few hours at the shop, so I applied the Eastwood Rust Encapsulator (Eastwood Co. - Rust Encapsulator). It's basically paint, but really thick good paint that's meant to prevent/cover rust.

Lesson learned: cheap wal-mart foam rollers don't hold up well to this stuff! I used 6 rollers and 3 trays, and a whole quart of encapsulator on the interior only using two coats on the floor pans (and the rest was coated once).

I spent about an hour on each floor pan just rolling it in thickly, another hour or so on the top decklid area, and maybe an hour under the dash (repainted it all black), quarter panels, sides and pedals. I also re-coated the e-brake handle and shifter base.

It's still got a few hours before it's completely dry, but overall I'm very happy with the results.

Keep in mind there's still going to be carpet, floor mats, seats etc. ;\)

Driver quarter panel interior:

There's also a vinyl cover for this (and seat bottoms, carpet, etc).

Through the dirty back window you can see the deck area (it's covered in a large vinyl pad that I need to clean up still):

The pedals are a nice improvement, but the pic didn't come out so well...

I am going to have the seat adjuster rails sand blasted and powdercoated next. With it being a weekend and Monday a holiday, it looks like I'll have to install/remove the seat once again in a few days. I think I've done that about a dozen times already. \:D

Edited by DanTSiAWD (05/25/09 12:57 AM)
Edit Reason: Added "Before" Pictures

#3760854 - 05/23/09 10:39 PM Re: I don't drink milk but... [Re: DanTSiAWD]
silentfurymm Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: SoCal....again
Wow, never heard of that stuff. Nice job, that rust would have scared me away, but this project just keeps more awesome.
#3760989 - 05/24/09 12:15 AM Re: I don't drink milk but... [Re: silentfurymm]
GrizzleHorn Offline
Jr Member

I love this thread.
#3761374 - 05/24/09 11:02 AM Re: I don't drink milk but... [Re: GrizzleHorn]
NOT spotch... Offline
Post Master Supreme

Wow that turned out fucking awesome. I assume that stuff works on interiors and exteriors?

#3762202 - 05/24/09 07:04 PM Re: I don't drink milk but... [Re: NOT spotch...]
DanTSiAWD Offline
Poster

Thanks guys \:\)

Hey Spotch,
Yes it does work on any metal. If it was exterior I'd probably take additional steps to protect it (like rubberized truck coating stuff) but since it'll be covered in carpet, it's not too important.

#3762958 - 05/24/09 11:29 PM Re: I don't drink milk but... [Re: DanTSiAWD]
sarge Offline
Sr Member

Loc: Okinawa, Japan
That floor pan looks amazing.

#3763478 - 05/25/09 10:28 AM Re: I don't drink milk but... [Re: sarge]
Impulsive Online   nohc
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Edmonton
Keep up the good work!

#3830281 - 06/17/09 06:10 PM Re: Dan's Porsche 912 Project [Re: DanTSiAWD]
DanTSiAWD Offline
Poster

I posted this thread up on a bunch of Porsche forums, and recently finally posted it on the big one (912bbs.org). The replies I got were all different than the other forums.. I don't know why I waited so long to post it there.

Anyway, one of the replies said,
 Quote:
Dan

Have you looked under your steering wheel cover? That sure looks like a wood wheel, correct me if I am wrong...

I had not thought too much about the steering wheel, but assumed since it was covered with this ugly $1 wheel wrap that it was probably worn out. I also assumed it was rubber like most of the 912s and older Porsches I see, and from glancing through the wrap when I first bought the car, it looked like the rubber had worn out and was down to the inner metal wire. I assumed it was much worse UNDER the wrap than the wrap itself.

Curiosity got the best of me, so I went outside and removed the wheel wrap. As I began untying the nylon, I felt like an archeologist unveiling some great artifact. I peeled back a little bit and I was shocked: it was indeed wood! As I carefully untied the rest over the next few minutes, I unveiled more and more of the wheel. By the time I removed the whole thing, it was clear that the wheel was not only wood as the guy had suggested, but nearly in perfect shape. The cover preserved it very well over the years! It even has cool grooves for your fingers that I couldn't feel before.

I looked it up and sure enough, a wooden steering wheel was a factory option back in 1968.

This car is just full of surprises!

before:

Edited by DanTSiAWD (06/17/09 06:18 PM)

#3830369 - 06/17/09 06:55 PM Re: I don't drink milk but... [Re: Euphoricuck]
Adam G Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Arrr-Kansas
 Originally Posted By: Euphoric
love the dash too actually!

First thing I thought...damn that dash looks nice lol

Good kill and good luck Dan.

#3830372 - 06/17/09 06:55 PM Re: Dan's Porsche 912 Project [Re: DanTSiAWD]
ElectronVTEC2 Offline
Post Master Sr

That is awesome man, nice project!!

#3831125 - 06/17/09 11:30 PM Re: Dan's Porsche 912 Project [Re: ElectronVTEC2]
madmatt Offline
Post Master Supreme

Nice! Like finding buried treasure!
#3832052 - 06/18/09 11:00 AM Re: Dan's Porsche 912 Project [Re: madmatt]
scootergeek Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: East of St. Louis
This whole thread makes me \:\(

All my surprises have been negative ones.

cheers,
scott

#3865649 - 06/30/09 04:25 PM Re: Dan's Porsche 912 Project [Re: DanTSiAWD]
DanTSiAWD Offline
Poster

It's been pretty hot here and we were very busy on our new Project Gallery, but I did manage to make a few changes over the last couple of weeks.

The most obvious problem when driving my 912 now was that its tires were very old and cracked. They were so hard, that I'm not sure they were made of rubber anymore. I think they were more like biscuits. \:D I would lock them up driving into my driveway even. There was simply no traction.

I ordered five Good Year Eagle GT tires. I ordered the 5th for a spare. The tires were 195/60/15s, about the biggest you want to run on stock wheels from my understanding. I did a bit of research and read that these tires offer good performance for the price and I liked the tread pattern versus the other brands such as Michelin or Yokohama.

I also reached a point in the project where I would take a turn -- and I know some people won't like this. I looked at 911s and 912s for months to decide how I'd want mine to look, and something about the Fuchs wasn't doing it for me. Maybe it's because they're common, or maybe I just don't think they "fit" on the car, especially with this color. I am not a big fan of chrome/polish, so I couldn't do the hubcap. I took a slightly different direction.

I bought 5 steel wheels. I had no spare before, so I figured I may as well have a matching one. These are actually spares from the later 911s, so usually they're in pretty good shape. They're also cheap - the cost of these wheels plus tires is about what my Fuchs will sell for, so I'll basically trade my Fuchs without tires for steel wheels with brand new tires and gain a spare. They are quite a bit heavier (6.5 lbs per corner!), but since I intend to make this car a cruiser, I don't mind the extra rolling mass for now.

Most of them looked decent, but had OEM stickers on them:

I removed the sticker with Brake cleaner first, and cleaned and degreased all the wheels.

The roughest wheel had some surface rust:

The stack of the tiny wheels next to Cayenne TT tires (:lol:):

After brake parts cleaner and wire brushing...

Here's the paint I opted to use. It's the Rustoleum "Hammered Finish" silver. This is the same durable paint I used on my homemade gaming seat.

I love this paint because of the finish it leaves, but it's also very strong for "cheap" spray paint.

It started raining minutes after my first ultra-light coat was applied to each wheel, so I had to wait 2-days to apply more paint.

Picking up where I left off, the final coats turned out exactly how I wanted them. I applied 2 very thin coats and 2 heavier coats.

The biggest problem was that they're now -too- clean and shiny, and the rest of the car isn't. As I am putting on some miles they are getting brake dust and road grime, completing the look I was going for. ;\)

Most recent pictures with the steelies, now with steel blackish lugnuts instead of chrome/aluminum caps. I still need to paint or clean up the centers though, which I'll do soon when I work on the brakes:

The car's running awesome. It seemed pretty fast on the way to work today with nice cool weather. Starts right up and idles fine, and now with these tires I've really been chucking it around some corners!

#3865877 - 06/30/09 06:17 PM Re: Dan's Porsche 912 Project [Re: DanTSiAWD]
YodaGTS Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Chesapeake, VA
Nice!! That car is awesome as is and looks to have quite a bit of potential.

One thing I never understood was why the version of the 911 with a smaller engine gets a higher number. I would have called it the 910.

#3866250 - 06/30/09 08:50 PM Re: Dan's Porsche 912 Project [Re: YodaGTS]
SiOfRelief
Unregistered

Looking great
#3866272 - 06/30/09 08:57 PM Re: Dan's Porsche 912 Project [Re: ]
madmatt Offline
Post Master Supreme

To be honest, I actually like steel wheels, so I approve of the change \:\)
#3866406 - 06/30/09 10:01 PM Re: Dan's Porsche 912 Project [Re: madmatt]
NOHC Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Lebanon, Virginia
Nice. The steelies really give it character.

This is one of the coolest project cars in SvA, in a LONG damn time.

Keep up the work.

#3866476 - 06/30/09 10:30 PM Re: Dan's Porsche 912 Project [Re: NOHC]
scootergeek Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: NOHC
This is the coolest project car in SvA

Fixed (the Pantera is a complete runner, so it's not really a project is it?)

cheers,
scott

#3866775 - 07/01/09 02:45 AM Re: Dan's Porsche 912 Project [Re: scootergeek]
pumpkin escobar Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: 603
Such an awesome build!

#3992172 - 08/16/09 10:09 PM Re: Dan's Porsche 912 Project [Re: pumpkin escobar]
DanTSiAWD Offline
Poster

I had a longer post written but I lost it by accident, so here's take 2.

One thing that bothered me about the car was its pretty new white license plate. It just didn't match.

As of July 1, 2009, Californians can put the original color of plates back on the car if they have an unregistered front and rear set, and pay a small fee. My friend just happened to have a set, and he gave them to me for my car.

I found a more suitable license plate frame on Ebay for $35. It looked too busy for the back so I put it on the front.

I used my cheap art kit's paints to carefully retouch the plate. I wanted it to look old still, but the numbers and black were a little rusty and it was a mess.

Finally, I put a $5 chrome frame on the rear plate:

The brakes were starting to make lots of noise, and one side had been pulling for weeks. I bought replacement calipers with pads for $50. Removing old calipers:

The rears seemed fine. Fronts were well ready.

I like how you can change the pads in seconds if you want to. But since I was replacing the calipers, too it's a bit bigger job.

This is not how a brake pad is supposed to look:

The new calipers were much nicer and cleaner. The rotor had a little wear, but they were pretty good still and we saw no need to replace.

Then we bled the fronts, and threw the wheels back on.

We left the shop and agreed to meet about 15 miles south at a restaurant for lunch. Since my 912 has one seat still, I drove solo. I was scared of the freeway, since I had only taken the car on it once and that was over a month ago. It had been sitting since then with a few new parts. But I figured it'd be okay. I merged onto the freeway at 70 and about 2 miles later the car started losing speed, it seemed really down on power. I noticed it was getting worse, so I pulled over.

A highway patrol officer was out back before I was out of the car. Amazing. He was really young and asked if everything was okay, to which I replied and told him my friend was coming. He didn't want to stick around so he told me to sit in the seat with the lapbelt on until my friend arrived. \:\)

A couple minutes later after baking in 80+ without a moving car or AC, I popped the back. I couldn't find anything immediately wrong. The fuel looked a little low in the filter, but it was clean. Still, the low fuel seemed to be an indication that somewhere from the gas tank to the fuel pump, we had a problem. Maybe the fuel pump itself, but it's hard to say this soon.

The car wouldn't idle very well, but I was able to bring it back to the shop without trouble. I think some loose crap from the tank has dislodged finally and I should probably replace both filters from just a few months ago, as sediment made its way from the tank. I guess I should really clean that up next. \:\)

#3992244 - 08/16/09 10:48 PM Re: Dan's Porsche 912 Project [Re: DanTSiAWD]
scootergeek Offline
Post Master Supreme

Keep updating us.

cheers,
scott

#3992353 - 08/17/09 12:11 AM Re: Dan's Porsche 912 Project [Re: scootergeek]
hustler Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Seattle, WA
Yeah this is very cool to follow, and enjoy following your posts and updates. I know it takes work to essentially blog this on the net with pictures. I will tell you though that I found some surface rust on the floorpans as well and found this thread incredibly useful. I will try the exact same method. Old cars like to hide their problems, but you just have to find them out. Keep it up and look forward to the next update!
#3992883 - 08/17/09 09:43 AM Re: Dan's Porsche 912 Project [Re: hustler]
Benelliwang Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Vegas
I hate your milks, wish I have your milks lol jealousy

Both insight and 912 are uber cool

#3992945 - 08/17/09 10:01 AM Re: Dan's Porsche 912 Project [Re: DanTSiAWD]
ForeheadSMASH Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Denver, CO - USA
Wewt! Awesome updates man, the floor pan turned out awesome. Definitely checking in to this thread often.

HMPH! HMPH! "You what to do to the tree" - stickaz

#3993431 - 08/17/09 12:25 PM Re: Dan's Porsche 912 Project [Re: Benelliwang]
DanTSiAWD Offline
Poster

Originally Posted By: benelliwang
I hate your milks, wish I have your milks lol jealousy

Both insight and 912 are uber cool

Thanks mate! Really cool to read that considering the cars in your sig. ;\)
I was a DSM / Mustang guy in the past. These are quite a change from the old stuff. \:D

#3993450 - 08/17/09 12:28 PM Re: Dan's Porsche 912 Project [Re: hustler]
DanTSiAWD Offline
Poster

Originally Posted By: JCL_96Stang_GT
Wewt! Awesome updates man, the floor pan turned out awesome. Definitely checking in to this thread often.

Thanks! I'll be sure to post more as I complete work. I'll be out of the US for a couple weeks here, but I have boxes of parts for this thing piling up now. \:\)

Originally Posted By: hustler
Yeah this is very cool to follow, and enjoy following your posts and updates. I know it takes work to essentially blog this on the net with pictures. I will tell you though that I found some surface rust on the floorpans as well and found this thread incredibly useful. I will try the exact same method. Old cars like to hide their problems, but you just have to find them out. Keep it up and look forward to the next update!

Thanks much for the reply. Yes it is a bit of work, but I've done similar stuff online since the late 90s so I now have the process down to a science. It's pretty fast at this point. I should try to take better photos, but snapping with my phone then emailing when I get home is so easy. ;\)

#3998046 - 08/18/09 06:13 PM Re: Dan's Porsche 912 Project [Re: DanTSiAWD]
_vti Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Yurp
Wow man, im really really impressed!

i absolutely love those cars! major props

"within .001 second, it will be burned off in seconds" - Fastfed

#3999089 - 08/18/09 11:46 PM Re: Dan's Porsche 912 Project [Re: _vti]
SiOfRelief
Unregistered

Reminds me of Edd China in Wheeler Dealer
#4474620 - 01/30/10 03:15 PM Re: Dan's Porsche 912 Project [Re: ]
SiOfRelief
Unregistered

I just received the latest issue of Excellence magazine - were you involed in the article on the two modified Porsches? The green "kermit" car looks great.
#4478862 - 02/01/10 01:34 PM Re: Dan's Porsche 912 Project [Re: ]
DanTSiAWD Offline
Poster

Originally Posted By: SiOfRelief
I just received the latest issue of Excellence magazine - were you involed in the article on the two modified Porsches? The green "kermit" car looks great.

Yessir! All the rolling photos were shot from my Honda Insight. \:\)

We drove some ~400 miles that day through some of the best roads in northern CA. My little hybrid got one hell of a workout. \:D We recently went back and I drove the green car the whole time (another 300 miles or so). It's pretty intense driving that RR/500 HP car on those roads. I was shaking and sweating for hours afterward.

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  auxilary, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads