Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#6216647 - 03/17/12 07:49 PM Re: It's March 10th, turbo Neon done by May 10th?! [Re: Damnit, Laverty]
ScottStaypuff Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ohio
\:\) http://www.crank-scrapers.com \:\) I have that too.

I helped the owner adapt his later 2.4 block scraper to the early 2.4 oil pan and got a couple freebies out of it. I finally bought the full meal deal like you have. It's a nice piece.

Just waiting to get the kid to bed so I can assemble my tranny. Seems like a next logical step.

Videos
#6216678 - 03/17/12 08:07 PM Re: It's March 10th, turbo Neon done by May 10th?! [Re: Damnit, Laverty]
ScottStaypuff Offline
Post Master Supreme

What turbo are you running Matt? I have an Hy35, seems like a decent turbo for my goals.

#6216687 - 03/17/12 08:16 PM Re: It's March 10th, turbo Neon done by May 10th?! [Re: ScottStaypuff]
Damnit, Laverty Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Bellevue, WA
T3/T4 60 trim iirc. Hand me down Turbonetics piece.

Have you fitted your crankscraper yet? I couldn't get the teflon piece to work, the steel sits at the 1mm clearance he required. Stupid bigass T2 rods. \:\)

Bonus Productivity, just fitted the intermediate shaft for the T850. Bought the custom bracket like... 3 years ago. Finally fitted. Alt in place, intermediate shaft mounted. This unblocks axles.
"Ha... yeah if neon ownership teaches you one thing it's how to turn lemons into Country Time." -Spotch
"If the market demand for snarky comments is below my current supply of sassy wit I can only assume the market will adjust itself accordingly. Any minute now. Dick." -2000SiRacer

#6216696 - 03/17/12 08:26 PM Re: It's March 10th, turbo Neon done by May 10th?! [Re: Damnit, Laverty]
ScottStaypuff Offline
Post Master Supreme

I got the teflon in there but I am stock SRT rods (and pistons). It's built to handle (and hopefully make) 400whp with the occasional 100 shot. At least I hear the tale of stock internal SRT4s making 500whp.

I'm starting out at like 3 or 5psi though. lol I need to put 3 or 5psi spring on my shopping list...

What are you using for a clutch? I have a Clutchnet SRT4 clutch cut down to fit. Should work nicely.

#6216708 - 03/17/12 08:34 PM Re: It's March 10th, turbo Neon done by May 10th?! [Re: ScottStaypuff]
Damnit, Laverty Offline
Post Master Supreme

Stock SRT4 clutch for now. uncut. Targeting just over 300hp, should hold fine.
"Ha... yeah if neon ownership teaches you one thing it's how to turn lemons into Country Time." -Spotch
"If the market demand for snarky comments is below my current supply of sassy wit I can only assume the market will adjust itself accordingly. Any minute now. Dick." -2000SiRacer

#6216712 - 03/17/12 08:35 PM Re: It's March 10th, turbo Neon done by May 10th?! [Re: Damnit, Laverty]
ScottStaypuff Offline
Post Master Supreme

In such a light car, should be great.

#6217217 - 03/18/12 04:48 AM Re: It's March 10th, turbo Neon done by May 10th?! [Re: ScottStaypuff]
Damnit, Laverty Offline
Post Master Supreme

Yep.

Got a little more done tonight. My motor has a weird piece that bolts onto the oil pump and curves around back behind the oil pan to hold the filter. Think SRT4 oiling, but external to the steel pan.

Well, now I have an intermediate shaft back there, and wanted the clearance... so I went up to a buddy's house with the neck since he's got a bandsaw. Plan was cut the flange off, tap it to NPT, and run remote oil filter.

...well he got creative, and built a tool to hold the bandsawed flange off the neck, chucked it in the lathe, and made a smooth area for O rings to sit on. Gonna order AN fittings tomorrow once I figure out how big I need (looks like 8AN but gotta check), and run the remote oil filter. Should prevent ANY chance of cracking the cast AL with an NPT fitting... just in case.

#6218069 - 03/18/12 07:33 PM Re: It's March 10th, turbo Neon done by May 10th?! [Re: Damnit, Laverty]
ScottStaypuff Offline
Post Master Supreme

I dogged it last night but got the tranny together tonight Quaife and all. \:\)

#6218077 - 03/18/12 07:40 PM Re: It's March 10th, turbo Neon done by May 10th?! [Re: ScottStaypuff]
ScottStaypuff Offline
Post Master Supreme

Hey Matt, the dipstick in the new block is broken. How do they come out?

#6218121 - 03/18/12 08:03 PM Re: It's March 10th, turbo Neon done by May 10th?! [Re: ScottStaypuff]
Damnit, Laverty Offline
Post Master Supreme

Pressfit. Twist and pull. Had to glue mine back in with RTV. Hope it holds.

#6218258 - 03/18/12 09:15 PM Re: It's March 10th, turbo Neon done by May 10th?! [Re: LNXGUY]
endo Offline
Major Member

Loc: Seattle
 Originally Posted By: LNXGUY
Matt, you're car is being attacked by boxes!

Hahaha, I said the same thing when I was over there last

#6218287 - 03/18/12 09:34 PM Re: It's March 10th, turbo Neon done by May 10th?! [Re: endo]
Damnit, Laverty Offline
Post Master Supreme

yeah, it's not so buried anymore. You wouldn't recognize my garage if you saw it these days!

Speaking of which, we're all long overdue for a night over here. Lemme get the kegerator over here and i think i'll declare barbeque night... or better yet, Kiley keeps saying she wants to cook, maybe i'll just be lazy. \:\)

Edited by ACR Racer (03/18/12 09:38 PM)
Edit Reason: edited for the better lazy plan

#6218607 - 03/19/12 02:20 AM Re: It's March 10th, turbo Neon done by May 10th?! [Re: Damnit, Laverty]
Damnit, Laverty Offline
Post Master Supreme

There's now an oil pan and a front motor mount... now i can mock up the rear mount I need to fab.

Need to redrill the FMM bracket, too... but not tonight.

It almost resembles an engine.

#6218758 - 03/19/12 08:41 AM Re: It's March 10th, turbo Neon done by May 10th?! [Re: Damnit, Laverty]
scootergeek Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: East of St. Louis
Why did you choose to go with the steel pan rather than the cast aluminum one?

#6219130 - 03/19/12 10:53 AM Re: It's March 10th, turbo Neon done by May 10th?! [Re: scootergeek]
Damnit, Laverty Offline
Post Master Supreme

Didn't want to convert to SRT oil pump, pickup,etc plus originally built this motor before SRT came out, and crankscraper was fitted to this pan.

#6220658 - 03/19/12 07:02 PM Re: It's March 10th, turbo Neon done by May 10th?! [Re: Damnit, Laverty]
ScottStaypuff Offline
Post Master Supreme

Got my dipstick installed. I was a little worried since I had one broken off in the new block. Pounded it out through the bottom. \:\)

My list of things to do is down to twenty but kind of reads like a Haynes manual. "install engine", "install intercooler"... Actually its not so much the hard parts I worry about, its the wiring and Megasquirt install/tuning.

1 install bung for oil drain in oil pan - by others
2 reinstall oil pan
3 finish engine assembly
4 turbo oil lines
5 install engine/tranny
6 intercooler install
7 turbo piping/BOV
8 front prothanes/sway bar
9 front coilover install
10 reinstall axles/front brakes
11 hood install/prop rod
12 Check battery -Can be done anytime
13 fpr/finish fuel lines
14 install pyrometer/gauge
15 install nitrous pressure gauge
16 install boost gauge
17 update Megasquirt -Can be done anytime
18 install Megasquirt
19 fab downpipe - by others
20 install/weld exhaust - by others

#6220726 - 03/19/12 07:34 PM Re: It's March 10th, turbo Neon done by May 10th?! [Re: ScottStaypuff]
Damnit, Laverty Offline
Post Master Supreme

So obviously you're stuck on some of these, but what can you install tonight? Can you make headway on the gauges, etc?

#6220758 - 03/19/12 07:45 PM Re: It's March 10th, turbo Neon done by May 10th?! [Re: Damnit, Laverty]
ScottStaypuff Offline
Post Master Supreme

I'm gonna charge the battery and grab the Megasquirt to see where I left off. I was just thinking about what can be done/when... We're like a support group here man. \:\)

I estimate 46 man hours until I attempt to start the car. lol

#6220773 - 03/19/12 07:50 PM Re: It's March 10th, turbo Neon done by May 10th?! [Re: ScottStaypuff]
madmatt Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: ScottStaypuff
I'm gonna charge the battery and grab the Megasquirt to see where I left off. I was just thinking about what can be done/when... We're like a support group here man. \:\)

I estimate 46 man hours until I attempt to start the car. lol
2 day coke bender and get it finished \:D we'll check in periodically on you ;\)

#6221455 - 03/20/12 01:27 AM Re: It's March 10th, turbo Neon done by May 10th?! [Re: madmatt]
Damnit, Laverty Offline
Post Master Supreme

OK. Night of little forward progress, but a night none-the-less.

Pulled the front motor mount back out, fettled it into shape slightly. Tonight was the night of "crap, better chase that hole too". I had to run my rethreader down damned near every bolt hole for the FMM assembly; apparently the motor didn't like not having anything threaded there for like 6 years. has the assembly in and out about 6 times, had to fire up the air cutter, too. Tools are awesome.

Ordered a pizza, poured myself a beer and just got down to business. Once that was done, i got the passenger seat bolted in. Now i've got a list of parts to order a mile long.

Gotta get an M16 tap, 2 M16-8AN adapters, 48" of 3AN, a clutch fitting, and a new rear engine mount, plus go pick up 3 M6x1 bolts tomorrow to hold this damned oiler plate in place.

Edit: parts ordered. 75 at Summit, 32 for the engine mount, 20 for the tap. Bleh. I feel broke.

Edited by ACR Racer (03/20/12 02:48 AM)

#6224363 - 03/21/12 02:13 AM Re: It's March 10th, turbo Neon done by May 10th?! [Re: Damnit, Laverty]
Damnit, Laverty Offline
Post Master Supreme

Axles are in, at least temporarily. I can now say SRT4 axles fit a 1gen, with 2gen hubs, special intermediate shaft adapter and no control arms

Its nice seeing boxes end up in the recycle bin after years and years.

#6224395 - 03/21/12 03:27 AM Re: It's March 10th, turbo Neon done by May 10th?! [Re: ScottStaypuff]
Damnit, Laverty Offline
Post Master Supreme

I dogged it last night but got the tranny together tonight Quaife and all. \:\)

shit I missed this before! Nice! When you bolting it up?

#6224972 - 03/21/12 11:08 AM Re: It's March 10th, turbo Neon done by May 10th?! [Re: Damnit, Laverty]
ScottStaypuff Offline
Post Master Supreme

I get my turbo oil lines tonight. So then I can pick a spot to have the drain bung welded to the pan and take it to a shop. As soon as that and my intake manifold are back I will assemble the engine and bolt up the tranny then bolt it in the car. A week or two? \:\) Then I can really dig in and bolt the wheels on/ plumb the lines, wiring, etc.

Matt my ADD probably prevented me from seeing it. Are you Megasquirting?

#6224990 - 03/21/12 11:13 AM Re: It's March 10th, turbo Neon done by May 10th?! [Re: ScottStaypuff]
NVMYMPGZ Offline
Sr Member

Loc: White Plains, NY
I get my turbo oil lines tonight. So then I can pick a spot to have the drain bung welded to the pan and take it to a shop.

Pick a spot above the oil line while the motor is mounted!
I made the mistake of picking a spot that looked fine on the bench but with the angle the motor sits in the car its below level.

#6225741 - 03/21/12 02:57 PM Re: It's March 10th, turbo Neon done by May 10th?! [Re: ScottStaypuff]
Damnit, Laverty Offline
Post Master Supreme

I get my turbo oil lines tonight. So then I can pick a spot to have the drain bung welded to the pan and take it to a shop. As soon as that and my intake manifold are back I will assemble the engine and bolt up the tranny then bolt it in the car. A week or two? \:\) Then I can really dig in and bolt the wheels on/ plumb the lines, wiring, etc.

Matt my ADD probably prevented me from seeing it. Are you Megasquirting?

yes I am. Leaving the stock ECU for some control, but running fuel and spark through the MS.

#6227813 - 03/22/12 11:03 AM Re: It's March 10th, turbo Neon done by May 10th?! [Re: Damnit, Laverty]
ScottStaypuff Offline
Post Master Supreme

Good to hear you're making good progress! I might ping you about your MS. I built mine four years ago (maybe?). I know there are updated coil drivers and otheradvancements since then...

#6227877 - 03/22/12 11:24 AM Re: It's March 10th, turbo Neon done by May 10th?! [Re: ScottStaypuff]
Damnit, Laverty Offline
Post Master Supreme

Its been at least a year since I built mine, we'll see what i can remember, but of course i'll answer questions. One of my coworkers used to build them when he owned a fab shop, he's forgotten more than i know about 'em. We'll get it figured one way or another.

Progress last night: 0, stuck at work until 1am.

Edited by ACR Racer (03/22/12 11:25 AM)

#6229218 - 03/22/12 08:45 PM Re: It's March 10th, turbo Neon done by May 10th?! [Re: Damnit, Laverty]
ScottStaypuff Offline
Post Master Supreme

I picked a spot on the oil pan just below where it mounts to the block. I *almost* drilled the hole out but I just marked the spot with a magic marker. I don't want the welder to tell me that will warp the pan or what not. I have an alternative spot but that would require a longer return line. Taking it to the welder tomorrow, he says $150 to fix the intake manifold and weld the oil bung.

Speaking of money, I did my taxes the other night and am getting ~$1400 back. That should be plenty to finish the car. \:\) I would hope more like $500 with the aluminum welding then downpipe/exhaust welding plus miscellaneous fluids, fasteners and fittings.

#6229597 - 03/22/12 11:43 PM Re: It's March 10th, turbo Neon done by May 10th?! [Re: ScottStaypuff]
Damnit, Laverty Offline
Post Master Supreme

Oh man! So, yet another night of no progress on the car, since again i'm stuck at work overnight. (Yay deadlines.)

BUT- My Summit shipment got here, and it's almost as if they knew i'd be here, they included a free 5hr Energy in the goodie bag in one of the boxes!! So yeah, unblocked to finish and bleed clutch finally... if i ever get home. Gratuitous pic of awesome parts... stuck at work with me follows.

#6229877 - 03/23/12 05:52 AM Re: It's March 10th, turbo Neon done by May 10th?! [Re: Damnit, Laverty]
ScottStaypuff Offline
Post Master Supreme

Just like Christmas...

#6230410 - 03/23/12 11:32 AM Re: It's March 10th, turbo Neon done by May 10th?! [Re: ScottStaypuff]
Damnit, Laverty Offline
Post Master Supreme

I know, right? \:\)

Installed the clutch line this morning when I got home from work before I went to bed. Just like christmas.

#6231889 - 03/23/12 10:37 PM Re: It's March 10th, turbo Neon done by May 10th?! [Re: Damnit, Laverty]
aerosaaber Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Pittsfield, MA
If you bolt the pan down during the welding process, won't that (help) prevent warpage?

#6232298 - 03/24/12 09:06 AM Re: It's March 10th, turbo Neon done by May 10th?! [Re: aerosaaber]
ScottStaypuff Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: aerosaaber
If you bolt the pan down during the welding process, won't that (help) prevent warpage?

I hope the welder will do that. I actually was advised to move the bung over/down a little from the original location. Which requires a new 10an line, doh.

#6232689 - 03/24/12 03:28 PM Re: It's March 10th, turbo Neon done by May 10th?! [Re: ScottStaypuff]
ScottStaypuff Offline
Post Master Supreme

I'm gonna to go get me the best cut off saw money can buy at Harbor Freight to do my an lines. \:D

#6233060 - 03/24/12 08:20 PM Re: It's March 10th, turbo Neon done by May 10th?! [Re: ScottStaypuff]
aerosaaber Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Pittsfield, MA
I'm gonna to go get me the best cut off saw money can buy at Harbor Freight to do my an lines. \:D
it will last just long enough to finish the job, so WIN

Page 2 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  auxilary, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads