Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#7055216 - 05/07/13 02:15 PM Re: Tips for first triathlon? [Re: gamby]
MonkeyStillAlive Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Sunny FL
Yeah, I won't be upgrading anytime soon. It costs enough to do these damn races. I won't have any money left to buy a new bike If I do all the races I want. The half Iron I want to do next is $300, plus whatever the hotel ends up costing.
#7055492 - 05/07/13 03:44 PM Re: Tips for first triathlon? [Re: MonkeyStillAlive]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
Yup...it aint cheap!

#7594446 - 03/09/14 11:32 PM Re: Tips for first triathlon? [Re: Sir Ironpool]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Nor Cal, Hella hurr durr
Epic bump. I figure ill do a tri or 2 this year. Not expecting much just to not die I guess. Haven't done one since college lol and I'm only in swimming shape heh. Anybody else doing one this year?
The Alcatraz duaathlon I'm looking at right now, 1.5 mile swim from the island to Chrissy field then a 7 mile run out and back over the golden gate to Sausalito . No bike heh.

#7594532 - 03/10/14 01:16 AM Re: Tips for first triathlon? [Re: stickaz_old]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

The Santa Cruz Olympic is a fantastic race....it was my first and I loved it. Great swim, nice rolling bike, and a beautiful run along the cliffs. Donner Lake in July is really nice too.

No tris on the schedule this year (yet) because Leadville 100 in August.

Edited by Mrs. Ironmom (03/10/14 01:17 AM)

#7599939 - 03/12/14 06:29 PM Re: Tips for first triathlon? [Re: Sir Ironpool]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

found one lol!
http://www.usaproductions.org/events/Silicon-Valley-Sprint-Triathlon#about

.35 miles in pillar point harbor [Half Moon Bay]
ride down the coast [9.x miles] and finish with a 5k to another beach

april 20, I'll probably do it.
I sorta want to speedo the swim since it's that short, but standing out in my awesomeness would be lame
Cooldown with some surfing say at HMB beach or Pacifica further up

Yes a sprint because badass-in

#7600057 - 03/12/14 07:57 PM Re: Tips for first triathlon? [Re: stickaz_old]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Looks like a great race....but fuck that swim. Swimming around the SC pier gave me the heebie jeebies enough!

#7601389 - 03/13/14 02:22 PM Re: Tips for first triathlon? [Re: Sir Ironpool]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

heh I know that feels. Sea lions will chase you out there. A couple years back I put my windsurfer in at Cowells [the beginner spot by the SC pier], and was just doing some slow tacks up and down and riding the mushburgers out there in the slop. The windshadow along the cliff was crimping my style so I decided to shoot out past the pier and say up to steamer lane and all and was flying on a nice reach. I wanted to run over the inner kelp forest thing to get into some clean water but completely went over the handlebars when my fin [duh] hit the kelp at full planing speed. Landed like 20 feet from the board and had a very "it feels sharky" moment. A sea lion had been following me of course [those fucks].

I scrambled onto my board and yanked the sail out of the water pretty quickly. I believe this exact scene is in Jaws 1 lol. I am definitely not used to being that far out.

I do like the #'s better though when theres say a few hundred people flailing all around with you out there at the same time.

#7601498 - 03/13/14 03:05 PM Re: Tips for first triathlon? [Re: stickaz_old]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: stickaz
heh I know that feels. Sea lions will chase you out there. A couple years back I put my windsurfer in at Cowells [the beginner spot by the SC pier], and was just doing some slow tacks up and down and riding the mushburgers out there in the slop. The windshadow along the cliff was crimping my style so I decided to shoot out past the pier and say up to steamer lane and all and was flying on a nice reach. I wanted to run over the inner kelp forest thing to get into some clean water but completely went over the handlebars when my fin [duh] hit the kelp at full planing speed. Landed like 20 feet from the board and had a very "it feels sharky" moment. A sea lion had been following me of course [those fucks].

I scrambled onto my board and yanked the sail out of the water pretty quickly. I believe this exact scene is in Jaws 1 lol. I am definitely not used to being that far out.

I do like the #'s better though when theres say a few hundred people flailing all around with you out there at the same time.

As long as you aint first, or last, your odds are much better, lol.

#7605667 - 03/17/14 11:23 AM Re: Tips for first triathlon? [Re: Sir Ironpool]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

Wewt, alright I am officially doing the beginner sprint triathlon in April lol. Might change my mind after my first bike/run workout lol. Swam a 500 in under 7 minutes today--distance has never been my thing doe but should get me up near the front based on what I see in past results. Not much room to improve there as my personal best in college (when I was forced to do the 500 as punishment, or heck the 800) was only 5:30, time is much better spent jogging I'd imagine as I'm slow as fuck (8 min+ miles even at this distance)
A recent 100y free sprint is 50 flat from the blocks :flex: lol
I wish they'd take a 100y free sprint, scale it to 1/3 the total time, add a bike time trial (like 10 miles lol) and say a mid distance run like a 1 or 2 miler and equal weight them

#7605953 - 03/17/14 02:13 PM Re: Tips for first triathlon? [Re: stickaz_old]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: The OC
Anybody else doing one this year?

I'm doing the Solana Beach Tri in July. It will be my first as well. I haven't spend much time swimming or biking but plan to do so after May. Thinking 10 weeks should be enough time to prep for a Sprint. But it's an ocean swim.
89 Camaro - Sold
CSI. What's your diversion?

#7609030 - 03/19/14 01:54 PM Re: Tips for first triathlon? [Re: Design]
Roxanne Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ask me about bio-currency
Congrats OP. I'll be doing another triathlon sometime soon myself, it can get addictive.
#7609115 - 03/19/14 02:32 PM Re: Tips for first triathlon? [Re: Design]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Design
Anybody else doing one this year?

I'm doing the Solana Beach Tri in July. It will be my first as well. I haven't spend much time swimming or biking but plan to do so after May. Thinking 10 weeks should be enough time to prep for a Sprint. But it's an ocean swim.

Let me know if you want to do some open water training Kent. We have a great spot in the bay here that is perfect for getting used to it.

#7609275 - 03/19/14 03:58 PM Re: Tips for first triathlon? [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Thanks Chris. Might also look to you for some advice on renting the right equipment too.
89 Camaro - Sold

#7610827 - 03/20/14 02:50 PM Re: Tips for first triathlon? [Re: Design]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

how do they release the swimmers in the tris these days? like in bunches every 2 mins based on group or what? just wondering what level of thrashing/elbows/aeration/heads up waterpolo swimming I'll have to be doing. Hope to find somebody on a good pace and just draft just like swim practice lol

I'm going to do my first 'brick' workout today [scared], just a bike/jog. my normal commute is 9.x miles, then I'll just quickly swap shoes and drop backback and do a 5k. I suspect it will suck, greatly

#7610872 - 03/20/14 03:06 PM Re: Tips for first triathlon? [Re: stickaz_old]
lessthanmike Offline
Major Member

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Most of the starts for smaller races are on the beach and go off in waves based on age groups.

Some of Ironman starts are in the water every male goes at once then the females go.

There's a lot of thrashing and elbows at all the races. Just remember to put your goggles on first then the swim cap. I learned the hard way, got kicked in the head and lost my goggles in a race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3S0wu4Zbfk

NOHC--D, Because she knows I couldn't get laid in a women's prison with a handful of pardons.

#7611400 - 03/20/14 09:51 PM Re: Tips for first triathlon? [Re: lessthanmike]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

K thks!
Did my first brick lol
9.3m commute/bike in 31:30 or so, avg 17.8 mph for the whole thing. The segments away from traffic/lights/pedestrians I avgd over 20
Had about a 2 minute t2 lol
Then did a 8:47 pace 5k, 27:23. I was working hard and cramped a little around mile 2 but touched it out.thought about giving up lol wuss. HR at the end was around 150 so I was working hard

Turns out I am not fast lol shocker.

#7611538 - 03/20/14 11:44 PM Re: Tips for first triathlon? [Re: stickaz_old]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

The cap over goggles is great advice. I've done it in every race and have never lost my goggles.

Stickaz....you've got the speed/technique to go out hard to get away from the washing machine. Like Mike said, you'll likely go off with your age group, so I'd just lay on the speed for the first 50 or so, then cruise at whatever pace is comfortable. Dont discount the benefit of a good draft too. If you can stay on the feet of someone going your speed...you can just get pulled along.

Dont hammer the bike too hard...it will be hard to resist when you see all the uber-bikers you crushed in the swim go flying by...but you'll have a better overall race if you can have some gas in the tank for a good run.

#7614818 - 03/23/14 10:38 PM Re: Tips for first triathlon? [Re: Sir Ironpool]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

Wonder if ~2 hrs a day of surfing fri/sat/sun counts as any yardage
Got a bunch of time in the water tho lol! I didn't even feel like getting any actual swimming in
Good jog just now. I'm not sure I've run this far in 20 years.decided to run for an hour

I call this a decent tri weekend workout \:\) [i get mostly biking in during the week]
Strava thinks the 10k was 56:16

#7614898 - 03/24/14 12:50 AM Re: Tips for first triathlon? [Re: stickaz_old]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Nice!

#7619265 - 03/26/14 01:52 PM Re: Tips for first triathlon? [Re: Sir Ironpool]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

I'm also thinking about doing the Santa Cruz tri late in the year. Based on last years times I'm a solid shot at a top-3 in my age group in the swim [21-22m for 1500m for anyone keeping track, aka holding 1m24s 100m pace--believe me I'm no distance swimmer] but everything else solid bottom third in my age group \:\)
sounds like super torture tho [olympic distance]
not only am I a slow jogger but apparently I'm an equally slow biker compared to these guys lol cry and lol shocker not

#7619330 - 03/26/14 02:28 PM Re: Tips for first triathlon? [Re: stickaz_old]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

That's a great race! It was my first Oly race in 2010. I swam a 26:44 and was top 10 in my AG I think. Oh, and keep in mind that the swim time includes the run up the beach as well as a long run up a big hill to T1. Lots of uber bikers at that race though, so be prepared to have your dreams crushed. The run is pretty much flat and a nice out and back on the bluffs.

Good times for sure though.

#7619654 - 03/26/14 05:15 PM Re: Tips for first triathlon? [Re: Sir Ironpool]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

oh that sucks then lol
yea for me it would be a big accomplishment to simply not pull a DNF somewhere on the bike ride

I see my tri career coming to an abrupt end rather soon I knew there was a reason I've only kept up with swimming for the last couple decades \:o

tried to run a 'quick' 5k just now lol sad
depressing headwind the entire way lol doesntmatteratthisspeed

#7622818 - 03/28/14 02:13 PM Re: Tips for first triathlon? [Re: stickaz_old]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

I have arbitrarily decided to shoot for the median time in my age group at the upcoming santa cruz tri [olympic distance]. My "find the median guy" methodology was 4-fold.
I looked for the median overall ET, then I looked for the median overall time in each discipline.

So I have a 30:00 or so 1.5km swim to shoot for [say running up/down the beach is 2 mins] that leaves a 1m50s or so 100m pace to shoot for.

The bike the median ET was 1:13:00 or thereabouts for 25 miles, or a 20.55 mph avg to shoot for.

The run the median ET was ~49:00 or thereabouts for the 10k, or a 7m54s avg pace.

The overall ET to shoot for including transitions is then around 2:36

Needless to say these are all fairly aggressive goals except for the swim which I can already do pretty easily. Well I've got about 6 months so we'll see :scared:

#7622930 - 03/28/14 03:08 PM Re: Tips for first triathlon? [Re: stickaz_old]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

I ended up exactly midway in the 35-39 AG when I did it in 2010:

http://raceresults.eternaltiming.com/ind...Results&Bib=187

I should go back and do it again. Pretty sure I could shave 25 minutes off that time.

#7622939 - 03/28/14 03:14 PM Re: Tips for first triathlon? [Re: Sir Ironpool]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

notbadobama, I'd be stoked with that result! not a bad swim either!

#7622984 - 03/28/14 03:48 PM Re: Tips for first triathlon? [Re: stickaz_old]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Its funny to think back. It was may 1st of that year that I decided I was going to become a triathlete and I signed up for that race that very same day. I weighed 210 (Im 5'7) and wasn't doing anything active. I did two sprints leading up to the race, and lost about 25 pounds of the eventual 60 I'd lose. Finishing that race was a huge thing for me.

#7626896 - 03/31/14 01:50 PM Re: Tips for first triathlon? [Re: Sir Ironpool]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

how does this sound for a training program?

bike: 4x a week or so [commuting heh, (2x) 9.x miles
jog : 3x a week or so [wed 5k/30 minutes, fri brick w/bike/5k or 30 mins, sun long slow jog [1 hr or 10k or so right now]
swim: sat/sun surf 2-3 hrs or pool workout (2-4k yards)
lift: 2x/week

doesnt really leave a 'rest' day but my bike commute doesnt seem to tire me unless I push it.
adding up the hours thats like:
bike: 5 hrs
jog : 2-2.5 hrs
swim: 4-6 hrs
lift: 1 hr heh

curious to see how my first sprint tri goes and I figure I should remain a bike commuter but I'm not doing any bike training outside of that. I found a way to extend my return bike-commute to 14.x miles on a nice flat smooth trail also which I had been throwing in when I had the time to do it.

Otherwise slow and steady? As a reminder: I am a brand new jogger. No idea what I am doing there other than trying to build some endurance. I'm not sure I could add much more mileage/time/week at this point even if I wanted to. I believe it was about 6 weeks ago or so the first time I had run further than a 5k in like 20 years hehe.

I think I'm being aggressive w/jogging when I look at the hours but maybe not. Also surfing is not equivalent to pool workouts but it's probably like putting in a solid 1500-2k yards/session especially like if it's a day like yesterday [3 ft overhead, choppy, howling wind, big current, non stop paddling]

also I should mention I don't have any crazy goals or desire to be faster than everybody or any of that just to gain fitness and be more well rounded [and less obese heh]

#7627042 - 03/31/14 02:47 PM Re: Tips for first triathlon? [Re: stickaz_old]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

My thinking is to always train hardest on your weakest leg. You are very similar to where I was when I started...I could hold my own in the water without much effort (I rarely ever swam more than 2 days a week, even when training for Ironmans) and I found that I could comfortably cruise at a pace I was happy with on the bike with just doing workouts on the trainer. Running was where I saw the most improvement and overall results. No better way to train the cardio engine than by running...and that fitness transfers pretty well over to the bike and really well over to swimming if you have your technique dialed in (like we do.)

I'd definitely try and fit in at least one or two bike rides that aren't part of your commute. Even throw your bike on a cheap mag trainer and do a solid effort hour of intervals and I think that would go a long way.

Just take the run stuff easy to start. While it is the best way to improve cardio-wise, its also the easiest to screw up and injure yourself.

#7627049 - 03/31/14 02:50 PM Re: Tips for first triathlon? [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Oh, and if you can, get in some open water swims too. Work on sighting and breathing. Even now...in the pool I breathe every 4 strokes, but in the water, every other stroke.

I believe there are group swims around the pier leading up to the SC Olympic.

#7627250 - 03/31/14 04:58 PM Re: Tips for first triathlon? [Re: Sir Ironpool]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

cool, I'm not to worried about that as I've done a bit of ocean swimming but yea, I'm sure it's important to be used to it. I'm still going to do one of the alcatraz swims this summer that's going to be a riot I bet

like first 100y.... fuck all of the things! let's sprint. 200y in. OK, I am breathing every stroke. Fuck. All right, what did they say about the current again...
1 mile in or whatever. Is the golden gate getting closer? That can't be good...

#7656999 - 04/20/14 09:04 PM Re: Tips for first triathlon? [Re: stickaz_old]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

Update: Silicon Valley sprint tri results (half moon bay, ca)

1:18:14

Swim: 12:10 age rank: 1, est pace 1:25 100y (swim includes a 2 block jog) #18 overall weee
T1: 6:23 lol
Bike: 29:30 age rank: 7, 19.9x mph avg
T2: 2:35 dude where's my shoes
Run: 27:27 age rank: 7, 8m 50s pace
Overall age rank :7/16
Missed a podium spot by 3m9s ugh heh (#3)

Overall rank (male+ female): 50/246

My random notes: swim was the best part, I snuck to the front of my wave and just cruised, hugged the first 2 buoys and was leading the entire way. I only had to swim over 1 dude who passed me heh. I was really surprised that I probably only had to go out on a 1:15 or so 100y pace to hit the clear water in front of my wave and keep everybody behind me. I was a little surprised that I was feeling rather quick/buoyant in the calm harbor water as most of my open water swims in various famous surf spots in santa cruz [I always stay basically inside the break because terrified of slapping around by myself out there past the surfers nom nom nom] was always some kind of a failboat effort. Say in 4-5' waves theres a ton of water moving around inside the break and it's pretty hard to measure progress. Feels like I'm going nowhere half the time which is certainly true based on current and wave motion heh. I had a feeling similar to a pool workout but my body position was a bit higher naturally and I felt the 'planing' effort occured easier. I'm sure that can be optimized but I'll be honest: if I'm in my wetsuit in the ocean I'm going to be surfing.

I was figuring some other swimmer would challenge for the 'pole' shot/shortest distance to the first buoy. I know I wanted it but apparently the wave I was in they were pretty chill or just stoked to follow my feet heh. I was sort of hoping to find somebody that would race me to the first buoy and beat me there, then just follow his feet. Hmm maybe I should try that next time. It was sort of my plan then I decided at the last minute to say "nah, fuck it, lets just see what it takes to stay in front...". Apparently not all that much. Had I not really opened it up the last 200y or so when I noticed I was well of course it would have been pretty relaxing.

Had my surfing 4/3 on which probably didn't do me any favors. Casually trotted up to the t1 for 2 blocks which counts as your swim time. Spent an eternity in t1 , 6:23, and managed to drown my cell phone is with my wetsuit, it's still dead. Oops.
On to the bike.
Cruised down by the HMB airport, at the first hard turn I lost my water bottle lol. Managed to drink most of the second one and I was having trouble drinking but I forced myself to do it. I wasn't sure if I was pushing it hard or what but I only got passed by a couple people and I did a bunch of passing.
Really crazy crossing highway 1 but whatever. Almost blew the transition as the Olympic distance was just past my transition so slammed the brakes and came back, lost a little time. I pushed it but didn't want to kill myself. The swim had left me strangely tired as I don't think my body appreciated the effort I put in after I noticed I was about 100 yards wide of the swim exit and just wandering in nowhere ville. But whatever.
The run
T2 was kind of a clusterfkuc. I couldnt find my area. First thing that happened was a dude called out my bib number and said "hey your stuff is over here. So i go look. Duh, it's not there. I had dropped it off in the morning at like 6:30a when I was still half asleep. Got confused on which end my stuff was at as when I entered the transition area to drop off my shoes it was backwards from where the bike-in was. I never did quite figure out that that was my issue and ended up doing a full battleship-style up/down left/right search with (4) full sweeps of the transition area. Oops.

Just a 5k. For some reason real early my body was telling me I was tired, plus I was afraid of my right knee which I had injured Monday of last week-- I was scared to push it so I just settled into my 10k jog pace and hoped for the best. I passed nobody and yet I was hanging in there, a huge improvement I'm sure from where I was just 2 months ago when I decided for no reason really to start jogging again. I'm sure more than a few people were pumped to easily pass me on the jog, and a few that passed me offered encouragement which was cool--I kinda needed it ;\) including the bunch of chicks that passed me AND the 74 year old dude that passed me heh. I looked him up: he ran a 26:24 [63 seconds under me heh]. I was thinking when he passed me that I could easily hold that pace but I was just doing my own thing which was probably a good idea.
Was pretty pumped to see my wife at the bike/run crossing three times, also had no idea where my brother was on the course and wasn't sure if he was in front or behind me. Turns out he had a shitty swim as he was only wearing a wetsuit top (56* water) so he was pretty much cooked for the rest of the day. My theory was if he was able to hang on to his age-wave gap over me (4 mins), I'm sure he had a better transition [he did], I know for certain he's a faster biker [he beat my time by like 4 mins heh and was just barely 2nd in his age group], that there was a beyond solid chance I was only going to see him on the 'run-back' coming back my way. Never did see him there which means either he won the whole race by like 10 mins [I saw the winner of the sprint coming back my way on the 5k out, and a few people called out thats who it was] that he had to be behind me unfortunately. I was kinda hoping to try and catch up to my bro on the jog because I'm a marginally better jogger than he his [well, really probably because he goes too hard on the bike... but he has similar reasoning to me on the swim leg for why he pushes it there... I'm cool with that]. He was saying something kinda funny regarding the 'pass line' and the 'die line'... I pretty much hung the 'die' line the whole time and he was non-stop passing people. I told him 'dont swim so slow and that wont be a problem lol!' ;\)

The end. Now on to the Alcatraz swim/run (the tri always fills up, it's already sold out)
I'm on the left/left. 6'1/190# of epic fatness ;\)

edit:
so my conclusion is I'm probably wasting my time @ masters swim weekly if the goal was to improve the swim leg [thats not why I do it tho fortunately], and I guess I'm a mix between the bike or the run being my weakest leg. Based not so much on the ranking(s) but where people were smoking by me I still have the furthest to go on the run. If anything I just sat in the drops and was conservative on the bike leg if I remember correctly. I didn't pass anyone unless they were sub 20mph and I had been on their tail for a bit. I was abundantly fearful of both bonking and cramping on the run which had happened to me many times recently.

FWIW my pre-race plan was to:
a) hold 1:30s 100y pace in the swim [which is a decent mid-workout pace for me], so I slightly exceeded this
b) hold 20mph which is pretty arbitrary I know [winds/terrain], but came up just a hair short. good enough
c) was guessing 28:30 5k would be about where I'd end up after these 2 efforts. Beat this by a little over a minute.
so other than blowing the transitions, a solid effort based on my estimations from my workouts.
I calculated my 5k speed from some kind of moving avg/trend from my recent bike/run bricks and looking only at the run part. my PR 5k is like 24:50 or something so I just added a minute/mile to that pace which also seemed to agree with the end result.

So perhaps I was properly pushing/pacing myself and I'm just not that fast ;\)
perhaps if I can get my 5k PR down around 22: something [dreaming?] I could do a 25:00 or something and pretty much keep up with everybody on the run at least not get passed every 30s or so ;\)

Standing around looking sexy in my oneill-52

More sexiness, 19.9 mph of pure slowness ;\)

#7657172 - 04/21/14 04:20 AM Re: Tips for first triathlon? [Re: stickaz_old]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Congrats! Sounds like you killed it out there.
89 Camaro - Sold

#7657187 - 04/21/14 05:51 AM Re: Tips for first triathlon? [Re: Design]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Nice job dude...that's a super solid first outing...and eerily similar to my first sprint. : laugh1:

I bet if you ditched the surf suit and bought a $149 XTerra wetsuit, you'd shave some time off the swim and have some extra stuff in the tank on the bike. I know from experience.

Either way....excellent job. Post up the pics when you get them.

#7657381 - 04/21/14 09:22 AM Re: Tips for first triathlon? [Re: stickaz_old]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: RI

still have an EM1--go figure

#7663632 - 04/24/14 04:20 PM Re: Tips for first triathlon? [Re: gamby]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

ok next sprint is signed-up-for woot
pleasanton sprint tri
1/2 mile swim [reservoir]
13m bike [some hills, tight turns, a turn w/vehicle traffic]
5k run [trail, some elevation, not much]
---

14:30 swim [1:30 100y pace aka workout/cruise stuff] #8/35 pace from last year
2:00 T1 [no wetsuit woo, it's warm]
34:00 bike [hilly I guess, tight turns, and traffic xing] #9/35 pace from last year
1:00 T2 [running shoes]
26:00 5k got a little work to do here, my recent PR isn't much more than a minute under this ;\) #14/35 pace from last year hehehe

so shooting for around 1:17:30--->#8/35 if equivalent to last year
a 'podium' spot or #3 required 1:10:xx last year. Kinda far from this. Although I have a minute to play with on the swim and possibly a couple(?) on the bike..

*oh who am I kidding, I'll go too fast on the swim, too fast on the bike, my transitions will suck and I'll probably mail it in on the run ;\)

edit 2: so basically I'm just hoping to slow down a hair on the swim leg, improve transitions tremendously [no wetsuit should make this super simple], basically have the same bike performance although that hill should make it a bit higher effort, and the run I need to drop about a minute and a half from last time. I get all competitive on the swim and I have to relax a bit. Worst case is I run into somebody pushing it [1:15 100y or better] and I nuke myself to stay in front of him. Hopefully I can find somebody around my pace to draft that would be awesome. Also supposedly you can do the same thing on the bike [just 3 lengths back--the draft still works a little they say]. That way I can save a bunch of energy for the run I guess.

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads