Page all of 2 12>
Topic Options
#8996725 - 04/06/17 04:41 PM Finances with the Wife (OT Spin off)
OracerO Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: GTA
I know there is no "standard" in managing your finances with the SO.

But what do you guys all do?
Currently:
We have our personal accounts and also have a joint account, CC, Savings, Chequings and we pay a monthly % into it.
But our personal accounts is where our employment income goes into.
I obviously make a lot more so my % is a lot higher. That being said, we have never been cheap towards each other.

I know some couples open everything to each other. I know some dont.

What's your formula?

#8996765 - 04/06/17 05:24 PM Re: Finances with the Wife (OT Spin off) [Re: OracerO]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

1 joint account, all pay goes into it.
1 joint CC (2 cards linked to it), all expenses paid out of that.

/end

*we both have other CC's that just exist, but aren't used. 1 bank account, this way no fees, no confusion, 1 CC, rack up points faster/more efficient, etc.

I have no idea how people do separate accounts and then pro rate expenses based on income and then "top up" or split renovations or whatever the fuck. It makes absolutely no sense to me, but then again i don't understand half the shit most people do to begin with so there is that. Do whatever works for you, there is no *right* way so to speak. Some are better than others from efficiency/finance point of view, but may not be better emotionally (person dependent).

#8996770 - 04/06/17 05:26 PM Re: Finances with the Wife (OT Spin off) [Re: OracerO]
Big Tasty Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto
Joint chequing and savings, individual CC cards and RRSP. She has kids RESP accounts, joint mortgage/LOC.
#8996773 - 04/06/17 05:28 PM Re: Finances with the Wife (OT Spin off) [Re: Risky Business]
The Postman Offline
A-List Member also The Man
Post Master Sr

I have my own banks accounts and savings and CC.

Every 2 weeks I give her $1500 and she puts it towards our various bills.

If I need cash, I use either her or my debit card.

My wife, much like all of your's probably has a slush fund or other accounts that we have no idea about lol.

#8996776 - 04/06/17 05:29 PM Re: Finances with the Wife (OT Spin off) [Re: The Postman]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: The Postman

My wife, much like all of your's probably has a slush fund or other accounts that we have no idea about lol.

no

#8996805 - 04/06/17 05:43 PM Re: Finances with the Wife (OT Spin off) [Re: Risky Business]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto,Ontario
single

#8996826 - 04/06/17 06:00 PM Re: Finances with the Wife (OT Spin off) [Re: titty sprinkles]
4age Offline
XD XD XD XD
Post Master Sr

Loc: North York, Ontario, Canada
JOINT? (Referring to the Russian).
Nope nope nope.

Separate savings, separate chequing, separate everything. Nothing joint.
I pay for house, she pays for food and utilities.
Each pays for own car, gas, phone etc. She mkes about 45k and I make 39k annually.

XD XD XD XD

#8996832 - 04/06/17 06:05 PM Re: Finances with the Wife (OT Spin off) [Re: 4age]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

#8996859 - 04/06/17 06:37 PM Re: Finances with the Wife (OT Spin off) [Re: Risky Business]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto, ON
Nope. Joint everything.

We use to have separate accounts when we were still at the condo and then decided to consolidate the accounts when we moved.

Only CC is separate.

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d
'02 Rota Grid - 195-55-16FR (RIP)
'04 Volk GTC - 245-35-19F/275-35-19R (Sold to a farm boi)
I thought Spark was a robot from the old movie and I kind of remember seeing him telling some engineer showing the equation for a clear metal that the guy would event years later - porschetr

#8996913 - 04/06/17 07:11 PM Re: Finances with the Wife (OT Spin off) [Re: 4age]
loudsubz Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ontario, Canada
 Originally Posted By: 4age
JOINT? (Referring to the Russian).
Nope nope nope.

Separate savings, separate chequing, separate everything. Nothing joint.
I pay for house, she pays for food and utilities.
Each pays for own car, gas, phone etc. She mkes about 45k and I make 39k annually.

same here

we live more like roommates \:\)

#8996964 - 04/06/17 07:47 PM Re: Finances with the Wife (OT Spin off) [Re: Risky Business]
zc911 Offline
Ferrari4Sale 😎
Post Master Supreme

Loc: toronto
 Originally Posted By: Risky Business

/end

*we both have other CC's that just exist, but aren't used. 1 bank account, this way no fees, no confusion, 1 CC, rack up points faster/more efficient, etc.

I have no idea how people do separate accounts and then pro rate expenses based on income and then "top up" or split renovations or whatever the fuck. It makes absolutely no sense to me, but then again i don't understand half the shit most people do to begin with so there is that. Do whatever works for you, there is no *right* way so to speak. Some are better than others from efficiency/finance point of view, but may not be better emotionally (person dependent).

This

#8997035 - 04/06/17 08:36 PM Re: Finances with the Wife (OT Spin off) [Re: Risky Business]
SiRice Offline
Post Master Jr

Loc: Markham

/end

Pretty close to this except we each have a credit card and we both have a secondary card for each credit card.

#8997273 - 04/07/17 07:19 AM Re: Finances with the Wife (OT Spin off) [Re: SiRice]
b16_eh Offline
Post Master Sr

One joint account a PC, we each contribute to it evenly on our pay days.

We have one credit card that we put all of our expenses on. On a monthly basis I audit it and we pay it off according to whos expense it was. Me, wife and family expense.

We pay car insurance, life insurance, cell phones and gas expenses from our joint account. Even though they are different amounts we consider these family expenses.

Keeps the cash flow nice and even, whatever we do with our separate cash goes unquestioned. Of course not much is left over once we put our cut into the joint account anyway.

#8997315 - 04/07/17 08:40 AM Re: Finances with the Wife (OT Spin off) [Re: b16_eh]
SW20_MR2 Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Markham, Ontario, Canada
We have 2 chequing accounts that are joint in name, but our incomes go separately into 1 for me and the other for her. We pay all expenses out of mine, regardless of who's expense, who's credit card, etc. The reason to do this is for investment attribution. I am the higher income earner, so my marginal tax rate is higher. It makes sense to invest "her" money because any interest or capital gains taxes can be paid under her name because she earned the income that was used for the investments.

It seems stupid, but this is what you need to do in case CRA wants to audit you. If you're not doing this, you're leaving money on the table and handing it to the government.

#8997317 - 04/07/17 08:47 AM Re: Finances with the Wife (OT Spin off) [Re: titty sprinkles]
Senor Eduardo_82 Offline
miataist
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ca�ada
 Originally Posted By: titty sprinkles
single

#8997327 - 04/07/17 08:57 AM Re: Finances with the Wife (OT Spin off) [Re: Hatorade]
xza8 Offline
Sr Member

Originally Posted By: Hatorade
Nope. Joint everything.

We use to have separate accounts when we were still at the condo and then decided to consolidate the accounts when we moved.

Only CC is separate.

Why do you need separate CC?

Separate CCs: $400 annual fees * 2 = $800
Consolidated CCs: $400 + $100 annual fee = $500

#8997329 - 04/07/17 09:00 AM Re: Finances with the Wife (OT Spin off) [Re: xza8]
Senor Eduardo_82 Offline
miataist
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: xza8
Why do you need separate CC? Got expenses to hide from each other?

How do you buy gifts for her without her knowing where you've shopped?

#8997337 - 04/07/17 09:06 AM Re: Finances with the Wife (OT Spin off) [Re: Senor Eduardo_82]
xza8 Offline
Sr Member

Originally Posted By: eddie_82

You are going to get a separate credit card just to buy gifts?

I don't buy gifts except for my son.

Replace "kids" with "wife"

#8997340 - 04/07/17 09:07 AM Re: Finances with the Wife (OT Spin off) [Re: Risky Business]
Screamin Type ARGH! Offline
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T.O. - Canaduh

/end

we're similar to this, still have my own cc's though. also half our chq's go into the shared, rest into our own accts

"Ban low performance drivers, not high performance cars"

#8997414 - 04/07/17 09:57 AM Re: Finances with the Wife (OT Spin off) [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

Separate everything for now. Her CC thing is a mess... Various cards, store CCs, USD CC, etc.

Multiply that by 2 corporations as well (CC, and debit), and ... yeah, we need a better strategy.

Don't forget that SPC card.

#8997474 - 04/07/17 10:26 AM Re: Finances with the Wife (OT Spin off) [Re: furball]
Just A Troll Offline
Curved Street Thug Life
Post Master

Separate. Mostly because we're not married, just common law.

We each have our cars which are handle separately except for insurance which is bundled with the house.
CCs are separate but we're open to each other about our spending so there's no surprises.
We have separate portfolios for investments. Again, we openly shared the details.
I usually transfer about $4K a month to her to cover my share of the mortgage, insurance, food and various other things she buys for the both of us.

She usually handles the common money as she's more patient than I am with these things. I can look at code all day long, no problem, but looking at a bunch of numbers bores the hell out of me.

#8997774 - 04/07/17 02:23 PM Re: Finances with the Wife (OT Spin off) [Re: Risky Business]
OracerO Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: GTA

/end

This is new to me. I don't know anyone who is 100% joint. This is pretty cool.

Edited by OracerO (04/07/17 02:25 PM)

#8997830 - 04/07/17 03:34 PM Re: Finances with the Wife (OT Spin off) [Re: Senor Eduardo_82]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

so like there is this thing called cash...

#8997844 - 04/07/17 03:44 PM Re: Finances with the Wife (OT Spin off) [Re: OracerO]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: OracerO

/end

This is new to me. I don't know anyone who is 100% joint. This is pretty cool.

Maybe it's a cultural thing, a lot of people i know have it this way (older people, not my age). A lot are also from families with stay at home mothers so there is one income to go around anyway.

#8997866 - 04/07/17 04:19 PM Re: Finances with the Wife (OT Spin off) [Re: Risky Business]
Senor Eduardo_82 Offline
miataist
Post Master Supreme

She'll still see that you took $5k out of the joint account

#8997878 - 04/07/17 04:35 PM Re: Finances with the Wife (OT Spin off) [Re: Senor Eduardo_82]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

She'll still see that you took $5k out of the joint account

eddie82, the type of guy to surprise his gf with presents every month. awwwww

#8997920 - 04/07/17 05:17 PM Re: Finances with the Wife (OT Spin off) [Re: Risky Business]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto,Ontario
hey girl i got a present for you

#8997926 - 04/07/17 05:24 PM Re: Finances with the Wife (OT Spin off) [Re: titty sprinkles]
Lafora Offline
Post Master Sr

joint and separate.

the joint takes care of the house and utils, which really is another of my account.

i've been thinking about it lately, why do I even have another account, because I pay for almost everything.

I think i'm only keeping it because it's linked to my paypal.

#8998140 - 04/08/17 01:38 AM Re: Finances with the Wife (OT Spin off) [Re: Lafora]
hyper-s2k Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T dot O dot, Canada
She has 1 personal.
I have 2 personal (1 for pay cheque, 1 for pay bills -- different FI - the pay bill account was created long before my current pay cheque account -- too lazy to move stuff over).

1 joint account -
- all my pay goes into it, then move money to my pay bill account as required.
- she would throw whatever left over after paying daycare and some to her folks (offset their household expenses cuz we eat there daily and they pick up 1 of our kids from school)

She pays our monthly life insurance premiums, day care, groceries
I got utilities, property tax, gas for both cars, home and car insurance

Too much work to calculate / pro rate shit based on pay. I fork out more cuz I make more - eye balling the bill split that looks proportion enough.

We do gifts based on telling the other what we want (wish list). So no need to "hide" what we spent; element of surprise is when the gift is least expected.
'03 s2k - now @ 80,xxx km - a2a car
'08 535i - sold @ 149,421 km - cashed out just in time!
'08 impreza 2.5i - sold @ - 64,147 km - smh POS
'01 rav4 - killed @ 155,879 km - RIP old friend

"Driving in the snow is like sex. If you want to avoid accidents, abstinence is the best policy. If you're gonna take her for a spin, use protection." - Rick Mercer

#8998249 - 04/08/17 11:21 AM Re: Finances with the Wife (OT Spin off) [Re: hyper-s2k]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

^ good example of having separate accounts where it works because of transparency.

Only part i don't get with separate accounts is when people think it's ok to not have to be accountable to their spouse for [insert dollar amount here] because it's their fun money.

Does no one else see an issue here?

edit: forgot to add we actually have 3 CC's linked to one CC account, third one is for my MIL when she is out grocery shopping for us and whatever else she buys us that we ask for.

#8998387 - 04/08/17 06:14 PM Re: Finances with the Wife (OT Spin off) [Re: Risky Business]
JEFFOS Offline
Post Master Supreme

I'm all for separate accounts - have full trust to the gf unit but why not control your own account. Have a shared account for what's needed but I would still keep my account and she hers

Edit and definitely seperate CCs - why need a shared one unless you're sharing points and even then I like cash back cards so it doesn't matter.

Edited by JEFFOS (04/08/17 06:16 PM)

#8998431 - 04/08/17 08:36 PM Re: Finances with the Wife (OT Spin off) [Re: JEFFOS]
Wildout Offline
Post Master Jr

1 joint, 2 personal.
#8998433 - 04/08/17 08:46 PM Re: Finances with the Wife (OT Spin off) [Re: Wildout]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

I have everything joint just incase something happens to one of us.

Don't really understand the whole trust thing with having separate accounts. For me it's not about trust, just makes it easier by consolidating.

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d
'02 Rota Grid - 195-55-16FR (RIP)
'04 Volk GTC - 245-35-19F/275-35-19R (Sold to a farm boi)
I thought Spark was a robot from the old movie and I kind of remember seeing him telling some engineer showing the equation for a clear metal that the guy would event years later - porschetr

#8998542 - 04/09/17 08:26 AM Re: Finances with the Wife (OT Spin off) [Re: JEFFOS]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTmg4bfhBsk
#8998569 - 04/09/17 10:08 AM Re: Finances with the Wife (OT Spin off) [Re: Risky Business]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
Everything is in my name (House, etc). All separate accounts, etc. Sorry but I need to cover my ass if this doesn't work out.

#8998604 - 04/09/17 11:45 AM Re: Finances with the Wife (OT Spin off) [Re: LNXGUY]
Big Tasty Offline
Post Master Supreme

https://youtu.be/6-lqz-Fp0r4
Page all of 2 12>

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads