#9078534 - 07/13/17 11:17 AM Re: It's happening v. real estate [Re: JEFFOS]
xza8 Offline
Sr Member

Originally Posted By: JEFFOS
 Originally Posted By: xza8
One person just took their house off the market and another cranked their price up 175k. Both have been sitting for multiple months lol. Not going to go well. Both not living in the home and already are in the new house. Similar house just sold for 150k under the asking price of the home that jacked the price and the house was nicer.

Are you better off now than say last year, when you were participating in crazy bidding wars?

Still to be seen but all signs are pointing to yes it should be better now.

I happened to just run into a few idiots which I'll just watch until they come back an realize their houses wont sell for what they want. Seeing more houses come up as people are trying to make money before it falls any more I assume.

2017 summer prices less than 2016 summer prices?

Yup

Sounds like a good deal, hopefully you find something soon!

#9078890 - 07/13/17 05:26 PM Re: It's happening v. real estate [Re: Just A Troll]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Just A Troll
 Originally Posted By: Risky Business
Imagine how shitty the person who bought for 750 is feeling right now.

750k for a townhouse, probably 600k mortgage for 30 years for a fucking townhouse. I am not sure what's worse, jail or that?

People getting HOSED!

Depends on the townhouse. Some are better than antique bungalows.

Last week I went to see a friend of mine just bought a 60 year old $1.4 M bungalow. Single car detached garage, 1400 sq ft. Not close to anything. Some suburb in Etobicoke. It looks like crap and they've budgeted over $100k for renovations. Basically ripping apart the whole interior.

On the way home my "wife" commented that our brand new $760k, now worth close to a Mil, double car attached garage, 2000 sqft "executive" end-unit townhouse is a much better deal. It's much more liveable that's for sure.

So your wife said that a property bought 2-3 years ago at much lower prices is a better deal than a property bought today? She must be very analytical.

I want to live in a townhouse instead of a detached home...is something no one ever said in the history of humans.

Nothing wrong with townhouses or living in one, but gtfo out with this executive townhome is better than an old detached home. How executive do you feel when you hear your neighbours parties through the wall? /in before executive not a straight street sound insulation.

#9078962 - 07/13/17 06:52 PM Re: It's happening v. real estate [Re: Risky Business]
xza8 Offline
Sr Member

I'll take an executive townhouse over an old house, no lies.

I prefer 10' ceilings, open concept and large windows over privacy.

I would actually swap my 40 year old house for my old town manor if it wasn't temporary.

I was looking to lease a townhouse for $3,500 and rent out my own house $2,500, yes... take a hit, but the wife didn't want to re-pack/un-pack after 2 months of settling in (and the landlord didn't care to discount and being Chinese, I need a discount to seal the deal).

On the topic of rent, the cashflow of a condo investment property >>> of a detached... did anyone buy one of the cool Nobu units?

#9078990 - 07/13/17 07:18 PM Re: It's happening v. real estate [Re: Risky Business]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto, ON
Imagine how shitty the person who bought for 750 is feeling right now.

750k for a townhouse, probably 600k mortgage for 30 years for a fucking townhouse. I am not sure what's worse, jail or that?

People getting HOSED!

Depends on the townhouse. Some are better than antique bungalows.

Last week I went to see a friend of mine just bought a 60 year old $1.4 M bungalow. Single car detached garage, 1400 sq ft. Not close to anything. Some suburb in Etobicoke. It looks like crap and they've budgeted over $100k for renovations. Basically ripping apart the whole interior.

On the way home my "wife" commented that our brand new $760k, now worth close to a Mil, double car attached garage, 2000 sqft "executive" end-unit townhouse is a much better deal. It's much more liveable that's for sure.

So your wife said that a property bought 2-3 years ago at much lower prices is a better deal than a property bought today? She must be very analytical.

I want to live in a townhouse instead of a detached home...is something no one ever said in the history of humans.

Nothing wrong with townhouses or living in one, but gtfo out with this executive townhome is better than an old detached home. How executive do you feel when you hear your neighbours parties through the wall? /in before executive not a straight street sound insulation.

lol anyone that thinks living in a linked home is better than a detach is on crack.

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d
'02 Rota Grid - 195-55-16FR (RIP)
'04 Volk GTC - 245-35-19F/275-35-19R (Sold to a farm boi)
I thought Spark was a robot from the old movie and I kind of remember seeing him telling some engineer showing the equation for a clear metal that the guy would event years later - porschetr

#9079411 - 07/14/17 08:31 AM Re: It's happening v. real estate [Re: xza8]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

I would actually swap my 40 year old house for my old town manor if it wasn't temporary.

I was looking to lease a townhouse for $3,500 and rent out my own house $2,500, yes... take a hit, but the wife didn't want to re-pack/un-pack after 2 months of settling in (and the landlord didn't care to discount and being Chinese, I need a discount to seal the deal).

On the topic of rent, the cashflow of a condo investment property >>> of a detached... did anyone buy one of the cool Nobu units?

No you wouldn't, you are only saying that because of your current situation.

Long term, almost no one would do that.

Secondly, have you lived in a townhome before?

I don't want to turn this into a pissing match because facts are facts, nothing wrong with townhouse living, but let's not make into something that it's not.

#9079446 - 07/14/17 08:46 AM Re: It's happening v. real estate [Re: Risky Business]
phoenixrage Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: People's Republic of Ontario
linked townhomes are ok these days, half of them aren't even occupied.. #foreignowners.

#9079461 - 07/14/17 08:59 AM Re: It's happening v. real estate [Re: Risky Business]
xza8 Offline
Sr Member

No you wouldn't, you are only saying that because of your current situation.

Long term, almost no one would do that.

Secondly, have you lived in a townhome before?

I don't want to turn this into a pissing match because facts are facts, nothing wrong with townhouse living, but let's not make into something that it's not.

Yes, my first house was an inline townhouse

- a detached at this price point would not have 2 car garage

- love the combined kitchen/living room

- right now the family shares a tiny 3 piece bath

#9079463 - 07/14/17 09:02 AM Re: It's happening v. real estate [Re: phoenixrage]
Big Tasty Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto
My Townhouse was great for what it was but definitely prefer my detach. All bedrooms on same level, less stairs/levels, more privacy, bigger property/backyard...etc.

From a daily maintenance standpoint, the townhouse had less to manage so if you want condo manageability with more room then that is the way to go for you.

#9079466 - 07/14/17 09:04 AM Re: It's happening v. real estate [Re: xza8]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

I agree with xza8. Now if it was some old traditional TH that's a different story. My place is open concept with a 18ft ceiling in the family room that opens to the third floor. I ain't getting that in a 40 year old bungalow.

Big tasty, I would never live in a strata TH. freehold all the way.

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d
I thought Spark was a robot from the old movie and I kind of remember seeing him telling some engineer showing the equation for a clear metal that the guy would event years later - porschetr

#9079484 - 07/14/17 09:18 AM Re: It's happening v. real estate [Re: Hatorade]
Big Tasty Offline
Post Master Supreme

Oh my last two townhomes were freehold. I mean less maintenance simply because the front lawn was small and shared so my neighbour cut the grass, one tiny tree to deal with, walkway was short so shovelling was minimal, backyard was barely anything so nothing much to do there. When we replaced the roof and furnace, most of the units had to be done at the same time so we band together and got a group rate for each.

For what it was,it was great. Just not what I wanted in a final home.

#9079503 - 07/14/17 09:31 AM Re: It's happening v. real estate [Re: Big Tasty]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

Gotcha. Not gonna lie I have a total of 4 floors now with the basement finished and damn that's a lot of fricken stairs.

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d

#9079536 - 07/14/17 09:47 AM Re: It's happening v. real estate [Re: Hatorade]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
Townhouses definitely aren't like that up here

#9079564 - 07/14/17 10:00 AM Re: It's happening v. real estate [Re: LNXGUY]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

So we are picking TH over old detached because layout? I guess there is your difference, I never consider layout of a home as a critical buying criteria. I only look at a single criteria: is it the shittiest home in the nicest neighbourhood I can afford to buy in? If yes, then buy, if no, then pass. Layout doesn't even cross my mind. I can tear down a home and rebuilt/change anything I want however I want, whenever I want. Can't do that with a TH. Also with a TH, it's transition living, so you are with neighbours with high turnover since everyone is chasing that "dream home" and no one plans to stay there long term. With that you get less upkeep/care from most people, etc. Doesn't apply to all TH's but that's the gist of the mentality anyway.

I will take a tent/camper van on a detached lot in a good neighbourhood before a townhouse if prices were similar \:D

TIL: TH living is awesome, the more you know.gif

#9079574 - 07/14/17 10:06 AM Re: It's happening v. real estate [Re: Hatorade]
Big Tasty Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Hatorade
Gotcha. Not gonna lie I have a total of 4 floors now with the basement finished and damn that's a lot of fricken stairs.

Yup, this happened a lot for us \:D

Put kids down for bed then went to basement to watch tv.
-Did you bring the baby monitor down with you?
-No, fuck it's in our room (3rd floor)
-You going to get it?
-No just got here.
-Ok, just turn the volume down on the tv and listen out for them.

#9079621 - 07/14/17 10:53 AM Re: It's happening v. real estate [Re: Big Tasty]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Big Tasty
 Originally Posted By: Hatorade

Yup, this happened a lot for us \:D

Put kids down for bed then went to basement to watch tv.
-Did you bring the baby monitor down with you?
-No, fuck it's in our room (3rd floor)
-You going to get it?
-No just got here.
-Ok, just turn the volume down on the tv and listen out for them.

Fuck lol. I can relate 100%

That said we love this place and my neighbours are here for the long haul. One is a widow and the other is a single professional (has spent a shitload of $$$ upgrading her place).

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d

#9079820 - 07/14/17 01:13 PM Re: It's happening v. real estate [Re: Hatorade]
Just A Troll Offline
Curved Street Thug Life
Post Master

I'd take any of these townhomes over a 40 year old detached any day:

3500 sq ft, 2+4 car garage, and ... elevator!

The garage is weird. You have 4 parking spots in the common area garage which you park in front of your 2 car garage. A garage within a garage.

I have a friend who lives there. Puts many detached homes to shame.

Edited by Just A Troll (07/14/17 01:14 PM)

#9079824 - 07/14/17 01:19 PM Re: It's happening v. real estate [Re: Just A Troll]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

I'd take any of these townhomes over a 40 year old detached any day:

3500 sq ft, 2+4 car garage, and ... elevator!

The garage is weird. You have 4 parking spots in the common area garage which you park in front of your 2 car garage. A garage within a garage.

I have a friend who lives there. Puts many detached homes to shame.

I'd much rather have this detached than a townhouse:

https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Singl...dale-Moore-Park

or this one everything is the same as everything

https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Singl...4L8Z1-Kleinburg

#9079834 - 07/14/17 01:24 PM Re: It's happening v. real estate [Re: Risky Business]
Just A Troll Offline
Curved Street Thug Life
Post Master

Sure... I'd like to have a MANSION too. You're just being silly now.

Those Shipp place townhomes are actually affordable without being a multi-millionaire. Prices are in-line with many shithole detached homes.

Rather than spend $1.4Mil on that Etobicoke bungalow my friend has, I'd rather spend the same $$$ on the Shipp Place townhome my other friend has (he got it in the 800s a few years ago).

#9079839 - 07/14/17 01:30 PM Re: It's happening v. real estate [Re: Just A Troll]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Ok cool, I stand corrected: some people would prefer townhouse living over detached living. I don't know of any such people in real life, but that's the beauty of the internet.

I am ok with it.

#9079895 - 07/14/17 02:35 PM Re: It's happening v. real estate [Re: Risky Business]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

^bullshit. You know me irl and I'm perfectly happy where I am. Hope that triggers you lol

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d

#9079973 - 07/14/17 03:47 PM Re: It's happening v. real estate [Re: Hatorade]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

I think there are some inherent flaws in the way we are "discussing" this topic, which will always lead to some bias.

I guess the simplest way to look at this is if you sample detached home owners and th owners.

Poll every single one and ask if detached home owners would move to a townhouse, same square footage, same area, same price, but it would be newly renovated, then ask townhouse owners if they would move to a detached home with the same square footage, but not updated (10 year old reno for example).

If i had to guess all th owners would move and no detached home owner would, enough said.

#9079979 - 07/14/17 03:55 PM Re: It's happening v. real estate [Re: Risky Business]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

Oh yeah no doubt if that was the case.

Now if were talking what TH use to be back in the early 90's/80's fuck that shit. TH during those times was for those that couldn't afford a house and was affordable housing and they looked the part too.

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d

#9080252 - 07/14/17 10:19 PM Re: It's happening v. real estate [Re: Hatorade]
Wildout Offline
Post Master Jr

Here's the thing to think about as well, buying older homes, but have higher monthly expenses for heating, ac, water etc vs getting a newer home that's more efficient & easier on the wallet monthly. Not to mention building code has changed so much so sometimes renovating to be more modern runs into certain obstacles while trying to stay within budget.

Everyones situation is so different right, it's hard to make blanket statements in either direction.

#9082213 - 07/18/17 08:05 AM Re: It's happening v. real estate [Re: Wildout]
Just A Troll Offline
Curved Street Thug Life
Post Master

Well, if a detached home were up to the standards of my townhome, yes... I would get the detached.

But compared to those tiny, badly laid out, one garage detached shitholes built back in the '50s? Nah! I'll take my modern Townhouse!

It just seems to me that for $1.4M, you're not getting good value in a 50 year old detached.

#9082266 - 07/18/17 09:18 AM Re: It's happening v. real estate [Re: Just A Troll]
SW20_MR2 Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Markham, Ontario, Canada
Unless you are picky about a specific school district or something, there has to be more options than just old 50s detached and modern townhouses. Aren't there newer-ish detached houses in the same area?

#9082277 - 07/18/17 09:29 AM Re: It's happening v. real estate [Re: Just A Troll]
iamfob Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Out There
Well, if a detached home were up to the standards of my townhome, yes... I would get the detached.

But compared to those tiny, badly laid out, one garage detached shitholes built back in the '50s? Nah! I'll take my modern Townhouse!

It just seems to me that for $1.4M, you're not getting good value in a 50 year old detached.

Don't forget the build quality on older homes are a lot more solid than the current built homes. I was helping my friend to demolish his 1960s built bungalow in Halton Hills area. The materials were legit the real deal, solid wood, thicker drywall, etc.

As for the room layout, you realize it can be knockdown and re-model right?

If your neighbour is quiet type then it's not too bad. I have heard my next door neighbour partying on occasional weekends, loud music here and there, and their kids crying, and I can hear my neighbours running up and down the stairs. If you say you can't hear your neighbours living in a townhouse/semi-detached, you are lying to yourself.

#9082797 - 07/18/17 04:46 PM Re: It's happening v. real estate [Re: iamfob]
xza8 Offline
Sr Member

You know new homes don't fall apart right?
#9082830 - 07/18/17 05:10 PM Re: It's happening v. real estate [Re: iamfob]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: iamsnob

Don't forget the build quality on older homes are a lot more solid than the current built homes. I was helping my friend to demolish his 1960s built bungalow in Halton Hills area. The materials were legit the real deal, solid wood, thicker drywall, etc.

As for the room layout, you realize it can be knockdown and re-model right?

If your neighbour is quiet type then it's not too bad. I have heard my next door neighbour partying on occasional weekends, loud music here and there, and their kids crying, and I can hear my neighbours running up and down the stairs. If you say you can't hear your neighbours living in a townhouse/semi-detached, you are lying to yourself.

It's extremely rare for me to hear my neighbour. The widow next door looks after her grandson (6) during the day and I don't hear shit. She has asked me if he's being too noisy and I had no idea lol The stupid shit that I have heard was my other neighbor vacuuming at 5am, my wife had a word with her lol.

We spent a lot of time in this unit before putting an offer on it. We've been pretty lucky with shared living. We didn't hear shit in our old condo and my neighbours never complained about me, so the walls were pretty damn good. When I had people over and certain individuals are LOUD, you can hear it from the hallway just to give you an idea how loud we were.

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d

#9082921 - 07/18/17 06:57 PM Re: It's happening v. real estate [Re: Just A Troll]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

I also think getting a townhouse that comes with a postage sized piece of land that you can't do anything with is a fucking trap...so i don't see value in that.

Fuck i hate having these conversations with you, it's impossible to actually talk about something with a tiny bit of self awareness on your end. I've got nothing against townhomes and would live in one if it fit my lifestyle, it seems only way to get a point across with you is use stupid extremes and you still don't get it.

For somebody that puts so much emphasis on value, you should know that having options in life = value. A detached home = options, townhouse = no options.

...but i will wait here for the next value point.

#9083076 - 07/18/17 11:32 PM Re: It's happening v. real estate [Re: Risky Business]
Wildout Offline
Post Master Jr

Would anyone downsize to keep their mortgage similar if the rates continue to rise? I know this is CSI where everyone's house is paid off, but is everyone happy with their current home & have no plans to move in the next 10 years? Does current house need a major renovation to keep you? Would people rather throw that extra money into the cottage or investments. Or do people not really watch the market that hard and as long as mortgage & bills are paid life's good?
#9083166 - 07/19/17 07:15 AM Re: It's happening v. real estate [Re: Risky Business]
4Three Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Markham, ON, Canada
Risky, those town home lovers are probably the same people who would hate to have to maintain a yard of any size. They'd rather have a solid concrete patio and a couple planters. The things you like about a detached are things they don't care for. They prefer turn-key simplicity over 'potential', and the hassle associated with it. Personally, I'm with you, but hey, different folks, different strokes.

#9083170 - 07/19/17 07:29 AM Re: It's happening v. real estate [Re: Wildout]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Wildout
Would anyone downsize to keep their mortgage similar if the rates continue to rise? I know this is CSI where everyone's house is paid off, but is everyone happy with their current home & have no plans to move in the next 10 years? Does current house need a major renovation to keep you? Would people rather throw that extra money into the cottage or investments. Or do people not really watch the market that hard and as long as mortgage & bills are paid life's good?

I can't really downsize much from what I have so I am staying put unless I can't afford the home.

Only way I can see myself moving is if I end up building a custom home, even then I'd keep the current house as a spare.

#9083171 - 07/19/17 07:33 AM Re: It's happening v. real estate [Re: 4Three]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: 4Three
Risky, those town home lovers are probably the same people who would hate to have to maintain a yard of any size. They'd rather have a solid concrete patio and a couple planters. The things you like about a detached are things they don't care for. They prefer turn-key simplicity over 'potential', and the hassle associated with it. Personally, I'm with you, but hey, different folks, different strokes.

I agree with all of that, the troll introduced "value" in his argument favouring him which is ridiculous. Personal preference regarding lifestyle choices =! Value generated by property

I suppose we should now define value as well

#9083211 - 07/19/17 08:19 AM Re: It's happening v. real estate [Re: 4Three]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Wildout

Nope, no plans to move ever. It's hard to say never but we won't be getting rid of this place that's for sure. Just did a major reno this past winter so staying put. Downsizing? We have more room than we need currently (total living space 2800 sq/ft) but couldn't imagine going smaller.

This is exactly why we love living where we are now. Basically don't need to worry about the outside. Both of us aren't green thumbs so we could give 2 shits about maint. A lawn and all that shit.

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d

#9083216 - 07/19/17 08:24 AM Re: It's happening v. real estate [Re: 4Three]
Just A Troll Offline
Curved Street Thug Life
Post Master

We have a winner. Coming from a condo lifestyle, I'm used to not maintaining a lawn. Quite frankly I don't give a shit about grass.

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads