Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#9129227 - 09/11/17 02:39 PM The Star - Undercover in Temp Nation
c2k Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Wiesloch-Walldorf, Germany
Incredible read and incredible journalism.

http://projects.thestar.com/temp-employment-agencies/index.html

Quote:

“We don’t provide pay stubs,” she tells me. “You get paid $11.50 cash per hour. You don’t have any deductions.”

I call once more when I leave the factory, this time to ask for my record of employment. “We don’t do that,” says the woman who answers. “We don’t do records of employment, no job letters, and no pay stubs.”

Quote:

When I walk into the factory, I see mostly people of colour. Many are new Canadians. Many told me they have taken this job for one reason: to survive.

Over the past decade, the number of temp agency offices opening across Ontario has increased by 20%, with some 1,700 operating in the GTA alone

Statistics from the WSIB show the majority of temps are now being placed in other sectors — including non-clerical, construction, restaurant and driving jobs.

Because of the lack of Statistics Canada data, it is hard to calculate the true number of temp agency workers in Ontario. The WSIB quantifies the number of “full-time equivalent” employees, which has crept up steadily since 2008, and now sits at around 120,000.

But that figure does not reflect the actual number of people who cycle through temp agencies. Overall in Ontario, temporary jobs — which include but are not limited to temp agency jobs — have grown at more than four times the rate of permanent jobs since the 2008 recession, according to Statistics Canada. In food manufacturing work, temp jobs have skyrocketed by 110% in Toronto in the past 10 years. Permanent ones have increased by less than 3%

With the exception of some mechanics who appear to be Russian and some supervisors, the overwhelming majority of workers I see are people of colour, with home countries across Africa, the Middle East, and the Caribbean.

The company was lauded by Premier Kathleen Wynne for providing “good jobs” to Torontonians.

#9129521 - 09/11/17 07:05 PM Re: The Star - Undercover in Temp Nation [Re: c2k]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

A long time ago i worked as a temp and went to a rice krispies factory somewhere in the west end (IIRC i was 16, as i had just passed my G2 license to drive, but i signed a waiver that i was 18, ID wasn't checked).

The way it work(ed) I'd line up on the north side of Carlton, just west of Parliament. 3 school buses would pull up at around 5:30am. A white trash dude (Oshawa native FOR SURE) came out, nascar hat, long hair, cigarette and would start picking out people from a long line of immigrants (i was in the line). If you get picked you get on the bus and off you go to a factory.

Anyway a few days of this i didn't get picked, the day i did get picked i ended up at rice krispies. It was pretty much as the article described, my job was to stand at the end of a conveyor belt and use this long edgeless tray to take a huge huge rice krispy piece load it on a moving rack and take it to a cutting machine that made the individual squares.

The floor was covered in oil and was slippery and humid af, the whole experience was fucking terrible.

My buddy got it worse, ended up at a place where chickens would come on pulley system and he would have to pluck the feathers off dead birds.

As far as Fiera foods, i've actually dealt with the owners at a prior company during an industry event. I really don't know them, but they are highly regarded within the business community, mostly because they are balling. What pisses me off is i don't understand how much fucking money do you really need where you can't invest a few bucks and treat your employees right. Scum.

#9129624 - 09/11/17 09:32 PM Re: The Star - Undercover in Temp Nation [Re: Risky Business]
Anonymous
Unregistered

So shaddy.
#9130593 - 09/12/17 03:39 PM Re: The Star - Undercover in Temp Nation [Re: Anonymous]
iamfob Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Out There
\:\(

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads