Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#9491638 - 01/21/19 09:35 AM Refinishing/Painting Cabinets
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
So I think this is a reflection of how bored my father is. He's looking for projects to start up in the Spring and he wants to tackle refinishing the kitchen cabinets. I'm trying to talk him out of it. He has watched a bunch of how-tos online and thinks apart from time, it's pretty straight forward. I think the prep (sanding, taping etc) is going to be a bitch and it's possible the end result will look worse than the original.

Anyone ever try this themselves or know anyone that has? How was the finished product? I'm sure many look good from a few feet away, but how do they look up close?

Additionally, I know there are a number of companies that offer this service but even with those I told my dad unless he is able to view a finished job, he should assume any pics they have have were found online.

#9491651 - 01/21/19 09:51 AM Re: Refinishing/Painting Cabinets [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
c2k Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Wiesloch-Walldorf, Germany
Talk to Tasty, he had his kitchen done recently by a professional.

#9491655 - 01/21/19 09:56 AM Re: Refinishing/Painting Cabinets [Re: c2k]
Screamin Type ARGH! Offline
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T.O. - Canaduh
my wife recently found a company online for this, waiting on quote for spring or summer. no way doing it myself in garage lol

"Ban low performance drivers, not high performance cars"

#9491697 - 01/21/19 10:43 AM Re: Refinishing/Painting Cabinets [Re: c2k]
Big Tasty Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto
 Originally Posted By: c2k

Got the house in 2016, OG Cabinets and backsplash:

After refinish, same cabinets/doors (done by a contractor though, not me). Held up well in the 3 years except for where the kids smash the dishwasher door onto the open cabinet door.

#9491746 - 01/21/19 11:31 AM Re: Refinishing/Painting Cabinets [Re: Big Tasty]
Mr.Bozack Offline
Sr Member

Loc: Ontario
Looks great!

You sure those doors are the same? Or did the guy glue on border edges. I'm looking to update my kitchen...but no time soon

#9491766 - 01/21/19 12:02 PM Re: Refinishing/Painting Cabinets [Re: Mr.Bozack]
Big Tasty Offline
Post Master Supreme

Correct, he removed the 70s style handle in the cabinet and cutout/added boarder edges and added new hardware.

here is the original thread. http://forums.clubsi.com/ubbthreads.php?...rue#Post8574977

#9491826 - 01/21/19 12:55 PM Re: Refinishing/Painting Cabinets [Re: Big Tasty]
Mr.Bozack Offline
Sr Member

Turned out really good, and sounds more affordable to buying new doors. Nice job and your backyard from the original post looks huge...gotta plant some Cannabis in there to exercise your rights lol.

#9491831 - 01/21/19 01:04 PM Re: Refinishing/Painting Cabinets [Re: Mr.Bozack]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

I think Tasty was lucky with his original cabinets and the fact that they were flat. Not sure how feasible it is to pull something like that off on a cabinet door with a bevel/insert/etc. Unless I'm missing what was actually done to the existing cabinets. Either it looks great.
#9491871 - 01/21/19 02:22 PM Re: Refinishing/Painting Cabinets [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

Is your dad looking to repaint only? If so it's not that bad if you have the right tools.

Meaning most of the labour is in removing the doors/hardware and then setting up a paint booth in the house or garage. To get a nice finish you will need to buy a paint gun from Home Depot, they are a couple hundred bucks for a good one. That way you will get it done much faster and you will get a smooth finish unlike painting with a brush/roller (takes forever, finish isn't clean for cabinets).

#9491894 - 01/21/19 02:56 PM Re: Refinishing/Painting Cabinets [Re: Big Tasty]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto,Ontario
 Originally Posted By: Big Tasty
 Originally Posted By: c2k

Got the house in 2016, OG Cabinets and backsplash:

After refinish, same cabinets/doors (done by a contractor though, not me). Held up well in the 3 years except for where the kids smash the dishwasher door onto the open cabinet door.

that's funny. those doors turned out almost identical to the new "higher end" doors I paid out my ass for.

#9491949 - 01/21/19 04:08 PM Re: Refinishing/Painting Cabinets [Re: titty sprinkles]
Big Tasty Offline
Post Master Supreme

I first thought I could replace the doors with Ikea doors and drawer faces but of course none of the measurements fit. That was still going to be pricey with the # of draws and doors there.

Remodelling the whole thing was going to be a whole lotta coin according to the cabinet guy (but probably would have been a much more functional set up in the end.) But I ain't got no time cash for dat!

#9491954 - 01/21/19 04:18 PM Re: Refinishing/Painting Cabinets [Re: Big Tasty]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

I'm sure it cost much much less that what I paid but I basically tore out everything and started fresh because I moved the sink/drain and everything.

#9491957 - 01/21/19 04:23 PM Re: Refinishing/Painting Cabinets [Re: Risky Business]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: Risky Business
Is your dad looking to repaint only? If so it's not that bad if you have the right tools.

Meaning most of the labour is in removing the doors/hardware and then setting up a paint booth in the house or garage. To get a nice finish you will need to buy a paint gun from Home Depot, they are a couple hundred bucks for a good one. That way you will get it done much faster and you will get a smooth finish unlike painting with a brush/roller (takes forever, finish isn't clean for cabinets).

Yea he's looking to paint. I believe he said he has a paint gun but its electrical. Its not going to be as good as a compressed air setup but not sure how it compares. I think the bitch is going to be with the sanding.

I'm guessing a good paint job by a "professional" (definition to be determined) would cost $5k? Or am I out to lunch? My dad said it can be done for $2k-$3k, to which I questioned why he was willing to do it himself and go through the hassle and headache to save $2k. Heck, I'll pay it for them to get it done but it comes back to my original question, how do you know what quality you're getting with the end result?

#9492011 - 01/21/19 05:21 PM Re: Refinishing/Painting Cabinets [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

ok so before I decided to reno I thought about doing this.

from what I researched, you can end up saving a lot of money over buying new. the bitch part is in the sanding. typically old cabinets will have oil and grease saturated into them, so you need to fully de grease them and then sand the shit out of them. if you don't do this then obviously the paint will lay down like shit. compressed air is better with a quality paint gun not a princess auto $30 special gun.

then you'll have to mask and tape off the bases of the cabinets if you choose not to take them down, sand those out and paint, which can be a bitch since you're now spraying in the house and I think you need to use a oil based paint if they are wood. putty the hardware holes and re install new ones.

if it comes out looking like shit then that's a lot of work for shitty looking cabinet doors. have your dad pull 1 door off and perfect that then he can start doing 1,2 or 3 at a time. I suggest going lighter, I recently saw someone who re-painted their cabinets a dark grey and it looked like re-painted cabinets.

#9492109 - 01/21/19 07:07 PM Re: Refinishing/Painting Cabinets [Re: titty sprinkles]
loudsubz Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Being a DIY guy this is something I tackled myself. Mind you the finish isn't anything like factory with a spray booth etc but using Benjamin Moore paint and their Stix ultra primer the results are more than adequate for our needs.

I tackled new door and drawer fronts too after our old ikea fronts started delaminating (V1) kitchen.

#9492133 - 01/21/19 07:29 PM Re: Refinishing/Painting Cabinets [Re: loudsubz]
loudsubz Offline
Post Master Supreme

https://imgur.com/a/xpJuAzq
#9492345 - 01/22/19 08:54 AM Re: Refinishing/Painting Cabinets [Re: loudsubz]
Mr.Bozack Offline
Sr Member

Looks nice. I'm imagining that you added another coat or two after the dry fit?

#9492353 - 01/22/19 09:03 AM Re: Refinishing/Painting Cabinets [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: SuPeR-MaRiO

Yea he's looking to paint. I believe he said he has a paint gun but its electrical. Its not going to be as good as a compressed air setup but not sure how it compares. I think the bitch is going to be with the sanding.

I'm guessing a good paint job by a "professional" (definition to be determined) would cost $5k? Or am I out to lunch? My dad said it can be done for $2k-$3k, to which I questioned why he was willing to do it himself and go through the hassle and headache to save $2k. Heck, I'll pay it for them to get it done but it comes back to my original question, how do you know what quality you're getting with the end result?

Another option is to find a cabinet maker and bring all doors to them and have them refinish it. At least you will get a decent end product and save yourself the aggravation. Total cost is priced out on a sq. ft. basis of cabinets that need to be done, a standard kitchen I'd guess it should be less than 2k for prep and paint if you bring them everything and it's in decent shape.

#9492370 - 01/22/19 09:16 AM Re: Refinishing/Painting Cabinets [Re: Mr.Bozack]
loudsubz Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Mr.Bozack

Yes sorry those pics only had the stix primer
Here’s some I took last night

Just used a foam roller

https://imgur.com/a/OwQwA2c

#9492590 - 01/22/19 11:16 AM Re: Refinishing/Painting Cabinets [Re: loudsubz]
Mr.Bozack Offline
Sr Member

No need to apologize, it turned out sharp and that's a nice improvement over stock \:\)

#9492591 - 01/22/19 11:16 AM Re: Refinishing/Painting Cabinets [Re: Risky Business]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: SuPeR-MaRiO

Another option is to find a cabinet maker and bring all doors to them and have them refinish it. At least you will get a decent end product and save yourself the aggravation. Total cost is priced out on a sq. ft. basis of cabinets that need to be done, a standard kitchen I'd guess it should be less than 2k for prep and paint if you bring them everything and it's in decent shape.

Not sure how easy it is to find a cabinet maker but it sounds like a good alternative. From what I gather, the "pro painters" will paint the doors and drawers separately and then mask off everything in the kitchen to paint the cabinets. I told my dad if he does go that route to at least have them do bathroom cabinets first before he takes the plunge with the kitchen.

#9492593 - 01/22/19 11:17 AM Re: Refinishing/Painting Cabinets [Re: Mr.Bozack]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: loudsubz

Just used a foam roller

No need to apologize, it turned out sharp and that's a nice improvement over stock \:\)

Yea I think that turned out quite nicely

#9492851 - 01/22/19 02:24 PM Re: Refinishing/Painting Cabinets [Re: loudsubz]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: loudsubz

Just used a foam roller

proper.

#9492865 - 01/22/19 02:40 PM Re: Refinishing/Painting Cabinets [Re: titty sprinkles]
Simon_the_Pieman Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: The A
loudsubz is the man. he needs an hgtv show!

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads