Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#9495069 - 01/24/19 08:52 PM Parents..... Do you your kids play outside?
Raocorp Offline
Cougar Slayer
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto
I've lived in my area pretty well my entire life and recently (past 2-5 yrs) I've noticed that the area has changed drastically. Lots of condos going up all around the area, congestion has easily tripled since I started driving in 99. Originally the area was working Europeans like my parents. Go to work, spend as little as possible, and just work and save and nothing more. Then all these people retired and their kids moved away and the area was relatively quiet. But now those older homes are being inherited as the older generation dies and the little bungalows are now becoming much bigger 2 storey homes. The area is now getting younger families moving in. More traffic would mean more people, no? Well, I don't ever see kids outside doing shit like when I was a kid. Obviously I work later than schools let out so I'd miss seeing kids walking home from school but when I have random days off I see more cars parked all over side streets picking up their kids. Almost nobody walks home, elementary school and high school. When I went to elementary school there would be be hundreds of kids in the sidewalk walking home. It was like ants. Now I don't see basket ball nets outside on the driveway, bikes, hockey nets, literally nothing. Has all this moved to sexting @ 13yrs old, and video hockey rather than than real ball hockey? I'm not a parent but I'm old enough to have kids so is it our fault for not letting (or forcing) the younger generation to do shit other than social media and fiddle with their "smart" devices?

So the question is.... For those that are parents, do your kids play outside?

#9495114 - 01/24/19 09:57 PM Re: Parents..... Do you your kids play outside? [Re: Raocorp]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto,Ontario
nope. i bought my house with a great back yard for the kid to play in, fenced in for a dog, perfect out door space for kids.

yeah my daughter does not play outside and i can't be bothered to get a dog. even when my daughter has her two friends from across the street come over and play they are inside at either my house or their house; or on the porch behind the gate.

we do some outdoor activities like skating, tobogganing, bike riding, going to the park etc but at the house she doesn't play outside.

Edited by titty sprinkles (01/24/19 09:59 PM)

#9495201 - 01/25/19 05:13 AM Re: Parents..... Do you your kids play outside? [Re: titty sprinkles]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

All the time. I am strict about it too and make it a point to go outside every single day. In particular if I am gone all day and if my mother in law or wife don't take her out I will raise all kinds of hell. (Don't give a shit if it's -37 either).
#9495229 - 01/25/19 06:58 AM Re: Parents..... Do you your kids play outside? [Re: Risky Business]
c2k Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Wiesloch-Walldorf, Germany
Absolutely.

Last weekend was cold as hell, but I made everyone to go outside and they all hated me at first. Eventually that hate died down for a bit and we all had fun outside last weekend.

No regrats.

Sunday we will be doing the bruce trail hike.

#9495254 - 01/25/19 07:33 AM Re: Parents..... Do you your kids play outside? [Re: c2k]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
We do our best to encourage it. Of course its not as frequent now in the winter but we do take them skating and sledding. In the summer its bike riding, soccer or just goofing off with some water guns or chalk on the sidewalk.

But I hear you OP, what you are observing is definitely not isolated to your area, its everywhere. And heck, at times my kids like to play indoors over going outside. Times have changed there's no denying it, but its up to the parents to instill these things (and more) into their kids from a young age.

#9495320 - 01/25/19 08:57 AM Re: Parents..... Do you your kids play outside? [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

The encouraging part is that we are all self aware that we lack in this regard - I see a lot of the same parents outside with the same mindset (prioritizing outdoor time and being intentional with it). The developmental/health benefits of outdoor exposure (for adults too) are monumental and can't be ignored.
#9495321 - 01/25/19 08:59 AM Re: Parents..... Do you your kids play outside? [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
Big Tasty Offline
Post Master Supreme

Yes we take the kids out around the neighborhood ie biking in summer, local play parks...my youngest loves to go for walks too. Winter we go to local outdoor skating rink and they play in the backyard all year round.

I don't feel comfortable to have them out without supervision however. Backyard we are in the den watching them if not with them, front yard we will sit on the patio and watch them play. They don't go to the park on their own or bike on their own.

#9495350 - 01/25/19 09:39 AM Re: Parents..... Do you your kids play outside? [Re: Big Tasty]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

Yes parks are a good option. My kids love horsing around on playgrounds, but then again my kids are still relatively young.
#9495355 - 01/25/19 09:44 AM Re: Parents..... Do you your kids play outside? [Re: Big Tasty]
hyper-s2k Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T dot O dot, Canada
when its > 0 - will take the kids the local park to burn off some energy.

our back yard is so small that its more for sitting / bbq than play ball or tag or something.

spring time, gonna take the boy out to learn to ride his bike (no trainers)

this is a good wale up post. my girl is spending a bit too much electronic time — gotta drag her ass outdoors.
'03 s2k - now @ 80,xxx km - a2a car
'08 535i - sold @ 149,421 km - cashed out just in time!
'08 impreza 2.5i - sold @ - 64,147 km - smh POS
'01 rav4 - killed @ 155,879 km - RIP old friend

"Driving in the snow is like sex. If you want to avoid accidents, abstinence is the best policy. If you're gonna take her for a spin, use protection." - Rick Mercer

#9495396 - 01/25/19 10:17 AM Re: Parents..... Do you your kids play outside? [Re: hyper-s2k]
zc911 Offline
Ferrari4Sale 😎
Post Master Supreme

Loc: toronto
One of the reasons we moved was to have a bigger yard so the kids can spend more time outside.
I wasn't too picky when it was -37, we went to the indoor play ground for a few hours, and only spent a little time outside

#9495478 - 01/25/19 11:32 AM Re: Parents..... Do you your kids play outside? [Re: zc911]
Screamin Type ARGH! Offline
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T.O. - Canaduh
yup, outside as much as possible when possible. even the little 2yr old loves the cold so that's cool. the 5.5yr old is always up for playing outside. they spend enough time indoors as it is.

but given what OP's saying, i understand what he means re. no kids just around/in the streets walking/playing ... like in the 80's like us, or even 90's. i'm sure in summer it'll pick up. but you're right, it seems much quieter for kids just being 'out'.

"Ban low performance drivers, not high performance cars"

#9495661 - 01/25/19 02:14 PM Re: Parents..... Do you your kids play outside? [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
Big Tasty Offline
Post Master Supreme

I have to say though, we were far less scheduled and were freer to be out before.

Just sports alone, our kids have (rep & house league soccer), gymnastics, swimming, skating, dance. They have friends who have that plus hockey and baseball multiple nights out of the week too. It's almost like they have no time for free time.

It's also sign of the times too. I actually find it odd to see a younger kid out on their own without parents/older kids around.

#9495755 - 01/25/19 05:22 PM Re: Parents..... Do you your kids play outside? [Re: Big Tasty]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
Dress for the weather all will be fine.

#9495759 - 01/25/19 05:51 PM Re: Parents..... Do you your kids play outside? [Re: LNXGUY]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Out and about today, ended up at Toys R Us like pussies tho.

#9495970 - 01/26/19 10:10 AM Re: Parents..... Do you your kids play outside? [Re: Risky Business]
A2B-Lexus Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Raptors Land
Wow....she is growing up real quick!!

My daughter is 8 months. Probably do parks. Backyard is a postage stamp. Too small for anything.

#9495991 - 01/26/19 11:16 AM Re: Parents..... Do you your kids play outside? [Re: A2B-Lexus]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto, ON
 Originally Posted By: A2B-Lexus
Wow....she is growing up real quick!!

My daughter is 8 months. Probably do parks. Backyard is a postage stamp. Too small for anything.

Postage stamp checking in!

My kid hates the cold. But during the warmer months we take her to the park, bike and try to do after dinner walks. In winter we hit the mall lol

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d
'02 Rota Grid - 195-55-16FR (RIP)
'04 Volk GTC - 245-35-19F/275-35-19R (Sold to a farm boi)
I thought Spark was a robot from the old movie and I kind of remember seeing him telling some engineer showing the equation for a clear metal that the guy would event years later - porschetr

#9495996 - 01/26/19 11:49 AM Re: Parents..... Do you your kids play outside? [Re: Hatorade]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

I hope you pheggits are going outside today, great day.

#9496009 - 01/26/19 12:38 PM Re: Parents..... Do you your kids play outside? [Re: Risky Business]
Big Tasty Offline
Post Master Supreme

You know you're in scarbs when 99% of the people at an ice rink are minorities.

#9496021 - 01/26/19 01:58 PM Re: Parents..... Do you your kids play outside? [Re: Big Tasty]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
So many sore feet \:\)

#9496035 - 01/26/19 02:52 PM Re: Parents..... Do you your kids play outside? [Re: Risky Business]
A2B-Lexus Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Risky Business
I hope you pheggits are going outside today, great day.

Does chipping ice off my stairs count??

Happy Markham has lots of parks. There are a few in Cornell. Once my daughter gets older, we'll make sure to get my tax $$$ worth.

#9496053 - 01/26/19 04:03 PM Re: Parents..... Do you your kids play outside? [Re: A2B-Lexus]
The Postman Offline
A-List Member also The Man
Post Master Sr

As a non-parent, I have so many questions. Im guessing most of your kids are very small, so Id expect most to the answers to be age related.

Why cant they play outside? Why do they have to be supervised? Why cant they walk to and from school alone? Thats the one that baffles me the most. The amount of parents walking their kids to school or driving them around here is baffling.

Looking back, I think after grade 5 I was left to my own devices. Come home for meals and when it gets dark.

#9496332 - 01/27/19 10:04 AM Re: Parents..... Do you your kids play outside? [Re: The Postman]
A2B-Lexus Offline
Post Master Supreme

Different times? I grew up with minimal supervision.

My kid is young so not sure how much supervision/ freedom my child gets. But one thing that is different is when I was young, there were not a bunch of idiots using their phones while driving. I don't want to bike on the side of the road anymore, let along let my kid cross the street. Last thing I need is someone hitting my kid because of a distracted driver.

#9506299 - 02/10/19 10:11 PM Re: Parents..... Do you your kids play outside? [Re: A2B-Lexus]
Raocorp Offline
Cougar Slayer
Post Master Sr

I'm going to add a little irony to my original post. As I said there are no kids outside. But yet the city has put in those traffic calming speed bump things on what seems to be 90% of the roads that surround my home/area. Same with those digital speed signs.... The ones telling you how fast you are going. But imo the point of these things is lost completely. I can honestly say that there is zero scare of a kid running out into the street on foot, or on a bike. So to me the value of these devices is lost completely. Why am I doing 40kph on a side street if there's no one else on the street except for other cars?

On a side note I always wanted one of those snow racer things but my mom always said no because they were too "dangerous."

#9506458 - 02/11/19 08:59 AM Re: Parents..... Do you your kids play outside? [Re: Raocorp]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: Raocorp
On a side note I always wanted one of those snow racer things but my mom always said no because they were too "dangerous."

Same. Growing up friends had them but my folks thought they were too dangerous.

My boys got some as gifts for Christmas. We've had a blast on them.

#9507115 - 02/11/19 06:45 PM Re: Parents..... Do you your kids play outside? [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Stan Wadlow?

#9507191 - 02/11/19 09:04 PM Re: Parents..... Do you your kids play outside? [Re: Risky Business]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto,Ontario
i should reiterate, my daughter isn't a complete shut in. we do try to get her outside to do stuff but if she's just chilling at home she won't go outside to play by herself.

after looking for a decent hill in maple and finding nothing, went to scarbs at warden & 401, they have a big ass hill there that's great for tobogganing

yep i tossed her down the biggest part of the hill off a jump. she's a speed demon like her dad \:D i also went down and almost broke my ass

Edited by titty sprinkles (02/11/19 09:05 PM)

#9507357 - 02/12/19 08:16 AM Re: Parents..... Do you your kids play outside? [Re: titty sprinkles]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: Risky Business
Stan Wadlow?
Yea they've got a decent hill around the back.

Originally Posted By: titty sprinkles
after looking for a decent hill in maple and finding nothing, went to scarbs at warden & 401, they have a big ass hill there that's great for tobogganing
Yea Scarden Park. I grew up in that area, that's a good hill for tobogganing.

#9530320 - 03/16/19 06:59 AM Re: Parents..... Do you your kids play outside? [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
BroKe Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Markham, Ontario
Lol when parents say too dangerous they mean too expensive. Aka I'm not spending money on something you are only going to use once a year.
#9531649 - 03/18/19 10:19 PM Re: Parents..... Do you your kids play outside? [Re: BroKe]
Balhar Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Gee Tee Ay
my kids play outside all the damn time. summer, winter, doesnt matter, they are outside playing in the street any chance they get
Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads