Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#9543984 - 04/08/19 09:05 AM Advice Regarding Brake Troubles
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
So I had the rotors and pads replaced on my Odyssey over a year ago with Akebonos at a mechanic (reputable BMW indy). About 6 months in the van would vibrate when braking at anything above 80 km/h. I went back to the mechanic and he told me it was due to the heavy weight of the Odyssey causing the rotors to warp He replaced the rotors and all was well but again the issue surfaced after a few months. I tried going back but the mechanic was giving me the runaround.

The pads aren't toast and still have life in them, but I'm not sure if the pads are the problem, or its the rotors or something else. I tried taking everything apart, re-seating and re-greasing but it doesn't seem to have made a difference.

I figured I'd buy OEM pads and rotors and do it myself but don't want the problem to resurface again in a few months (ie were the new parts just compensating for a few months against what the real problem is?)

Any ideas?

#9544276 - 04/08/19 02:29 PM Re: Advice Regarding Brake Troubles [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto,Ontario
i'm no expert but i think it's the pads leaving deposits on the rotors.

#9544354 - 04/08/19 03:54 PM Re: Advice Regarding Brake Troubles [Re: titty sprinkles]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto, ON
 Originally Posted By: titty sprinkles
i'm no expert but i think it's the pads leaving deposits on the rotors.

This. Rotors don't "warp" under street driving. Bed the brakes every so often to get rid of the pad deposits.

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d
'02 Rota Grid - 195-55-16FR (RIP)
'04 Volk GTC - 245-35-19F/275-35-19R (Sold to a farm boi)
I thought Spark was a robot from the old movie and I kind of remember seeing him telling some engineer showing the equation for a clear metal that the guy would event years later - porschetr

#9544376 - 04/08/19 05:07 PM Re: Advice Regarding Brake Troubles [Re: Hatorade]
Lafora Offline
Post Master Sr

how does the wheel feel under cornering loads. (ramps esp)
#9544469 - 04/08/19 08:04 PM Re: Advice Regarding Brake Troubles [Re: Lafora]
phoenixrage Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: People's Republic of Ontario
probably didn't bed them properly. I have the same problem with my current set of brakes, probably going to try to machine the rotors when I do my tire swap and see if it helps.

#9544647 - 04/09/19 06:51 AM Re: Advice Regarding Brake Troubles [Re: phoenixrage]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

I've had this come up as an issue on both of my Toyotas and both times the rotors were warped.

Both times new rotors, both times I had them machined after 12 months and they weren't true. The guy who machined them said that it's pretty common with off brand rotors or rotors in general, they are such shit quality, sometimes they aren't 100% true from the store. Again I have no way to verify this, but that's what he said.

My matrix has OEM brembo blanks, it seems this car develops the warped rotor syndrome the most. I will get 6 months of good driving, once winter hits with the constant puddles and wet roads on hot rotors i think this is what causes the most issues and how they get warped.

This is the conclusion i've come up with, it can't be that so many people aren't bedding in the brakes correctly that we all have vibrations. On my S4 and Audi I don't have these issues, I can only assume it's quality of rotor at this point and nothing else.

#9544672 - 04/09/19 08:04 AM Re: Advice Regarding Brake Troubles [Re: Risky Business]
Screamin Type ARGH! Offline
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T.O. - Canaduh
op, still happening eh? lol damn.
and it's not the 'weight' of the car.

the simple fix SHOULD be changing the pad material. i know honda OEM stuff we'll push the factory / supplier to make a harder pad compound, thus it cleans the rotor better as you brake, leaving very little residue and the vibration/judder disappears. the down side of course is decreased rotor life since the pad material is harder. there has to be a tradeoff...but judder (esp rear) is an issue for so many companies from what i see.

it helps a lot if you have a good quality rotors that has been ecoated so it holds up to corrosion WAY better than plain iron shit. so that with a good, slightly harsher pad compound should solve it.

i dunno if honda rear pads have been improved for your make/model (i assume yes) or maybe better to see if you can find a slightly harsher aftermarket pad (does Hawk make HPS pads for ody's? LOL - hey, it just may help).

but if the above isn't the issue you may have something more involved, like the calipers/pins are sliding properly anymore and it's not pressing 'hard' enough pad to rotor, or it's pressing unevenly. we see soooo many issues caused by corroded/improperly working rear calipers.

i say go all oem (ensure you're buying the latest most superseeded part# for pad/rotor from honda). grease the hell out of the rear calipers/parts and see how it goes. if you STILL get issues then reface the rear rotors and buy a slightly more aggressive rear pad.

vas, my '13 S4 same shit, squealing front pads fucking annoying. cold/hot doesn't matter lol.

"Ban low performance drivers, not high performance cars"

#9544676 - 04/09/19 08:09 AM Re: Advice Regarding Brake Troubles [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

I agree on going all OEM, I thought brembo blanks would be good, but they aren't. On my german cars i've gone with zimmerman and they are great, but I can't find rotors by them for Japanese cars (at least back in the day).

Who makes the Honda OEM rotors and pads?

#9544756 - 04/09/19 09:22 AM Re: Advice Regarding Brake Troubles [Re: Risky Business]
zc911 Offline
Ferrari4Sale 😎
Post Master Supreme

Loc: toronto
I agree on going with new rotors and pads, just go OEM like others have said. Honda actually has decent prices on pads

#9544783 - 04/09/19 09:41 AM Re: Advice Regarding Brake Troubles [Re: Risky Business]
Screamin Type ARGH! Offline
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T.O. - Canaduh
 Originally Posted By: Risky Business
I agree on going all OEM, I thought brembo blanks would be good, but they aren't. On my german cars i've gone with zimmerman and they are great, but I can't find rotors by them for Japanese cars (at least back in the day).

Who makes the Honda OEM rotors and pads?

yup, brembo blanks over rated, the new honda rotors that are treated are great. zimmerman also very good. i know the new '19 RDX has specially treated rotors where you can't even reface them, can only be replaced lol.

i think honda uses a few suppliers, they switch it up from time to time. wish we'd make more in-huose lol. the factory knows best, so long as they don't cheap out.

i know there's akebono and pbr (i dont think they use pbr). nissin does calipers and i think some pads too. showa makes brake parts too but i think for our motorcycles only.

"Ban low performance drivers, not high performance cars"

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads