Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#9609815 - 07/18/19 08:57 AM Firefighters refuse to do a 'washdown' ... Thoughts?
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto, ON
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2019/07...-400-chaos.html

"Allegedly" ...

<Backstory: Woman suicided onto the highway.>

Quote:
Pattenden said he was advised that Vaughan Fire — which had been at the scene and provided CPR following the initial incident but had since left — wouldn’t return to avoid exposing its firefighters to the traumatic scene.

According to a source who used to work for York Region police, Vaughan Fire refused to attend the scene when called at 4:35 p.m. for a “washdown” — a first-responder term for removing blood, vehicle fluids and other remnants from the roadway.

Const. Andy Pattenden said the highway was closed an extra hour because of the denial of service. It left police scrambling to find a solution. Eventually, Miller Paving was called in at 5:29 p.m. to carry out the cleanup.

That sounds fucked... Also the comments from perspective of (anonymous firefighter) are interesting...

#9609837 - 07/18/19 09:25 AM Re: Firefighters refuse to do a 'washdown' ... Thoughts? [Re: furball]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

This is what it has come to? No wonder all first responders hate fire fighters.
#9609874 - 07/18/19 10:06 AM Re: Firefighters refuse to do a 'washdown' ... Thoughts? [Re: Risky Business]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

WTF, I thought that was part of what a fire fighter does. Always see them cleaning up accidents.

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d
'02 Rota Grid - 195-55-16FR (RIP)
'04 Volk GTC - 245-35-19F/275-35-19R (Sold to a farm boi)
I thought Spark was a robot from the old movie and I kind of remember seeing him telling some engineer showing the equation for a clear metal that the guy would event years later - porschetr

#9609882 - 07/18/19 10:12 AM Re: Firefighters refuse to do a 'washdown' ... Thoughts? [Re: Risky Business]
porschetr Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: WBridge
That's one of the things you sign up for.
When I saw a large blood stain in a minivan at a junk yard, I knew I wouldn't wanna become one of the respondents.

But I am sure you get used to it.
First time is the hardest, then it becomes a routine.

It's a little thing compare to human corpse but the first time I caught a mouse in the basement, I stared at it for 10 min before cleaned it up. Now, I just get pissed and go right at it.

#9609972 - 07/18/19 12:20 PM Re: Firefighters refuse to do a 'washdown' ... Thoughts? [Re: porschetr]
4Three Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Markham, ON, Canada
I understand that PTSD is a genuine concern, but it's part of the job you signed up for. If you can't handle it, it's ok, but step aside for the next guy who's willing to do the job.

#9610046 - 07/18/19 01:46 PM Re: Firefighters refuse to do a 'washdown' ... Thoughts? [Re: 4Three]
Screamin Type ARGH! Offline
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T.O. - Canaduh
had i been stuck in that traffic, i would have taken my kids supersoaker and went to town on that shit with a jug of washer fluid from the trunk of my car.

"Ban low performance drivers, not high performance cars"

#9610060 - 07/18/19 02:16 PM Re: Firefighters refuse to do a 'washdown' ... Thoughts? [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto,Ontario
nope that's dumb. part of the job. that's like me saying that i don't want to see blood/pee/shit/vomit in the ER.

#9610065 - 07/18/19 02:23 PM Re: Firefighters refuse to do a 'washdown' ... Thoughts? [Re: titty sprinkles]
Senor Eduardo_82 Offline
miataist
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ca�ada
 Originally Posted By: titty sprinkles
nope that's dumb. part of the job. that's like me saying that i don't want to see blood/pee/shit/vomit in the ER.

Maybe if you changed your underwear more often it wouldn't be an issue....

#9610148 - 07/18/19 03:49 PM Re: Firefighters refuse to do a 'washdown' ... Thoughts? [Re: Senor Eduardo_82]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

^LOL

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d
'02 Rota Grid - 195-55-16FR (RIP)
'04 Volk GTC - 245-35-19F/275-35-19R (Sold to a farm boi)
I thought Spark was a robot from the old movie and I kind of remember seeing him telling some engineer showing the equation for a clear metal that the guy would event years later - porschetr

#9610992 - 07/19/19 02:41 PM Re: Firefighters refuse to do a 'washdown' ... Thoughts? [Re: Senor Eduardo_82]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto,Ontario
 Originally Posted By: 28_eidde
 Originally Posted By: titty sprinkles

Maybe if you changed your underwear more often it wouldn't be an issue....

if thats what you got going on in your underwear then maybe you need to come to the ER

#9611493 - 07/20/19 02:16 PM Re: Firefighters refuse to do a 'washdown' ... Thoughts? [Re: titty sprinkles]
Wildout Offline
Post Master Jr

Sorry guys just couldn't stomach it
#9611500 - 07/20/19 02:33 PM Re: Firefighters refuse to do a 'washdown' ... Thoughts? [Re: Wildout]
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

(snippit) quotes from same article, from 33-yr FF vet:

Quote:
... he’s never heard of a fire department refusing washdowns, especially in circumstances where motorists are trapped on a highway.

“I have been to accidents where I had to pick up someone’s arm,”

I would tell my guys, suck it up, I know it’s ugly, but that’s what we’re paid to do. You can’t expect a third party to come in and do it. The only time I’d entertain a third party is hazardous materials, because we’re not very well trained for that.”

Despite his feelings, he admitted he’s “old school” in his thinking and conceded how “sensitive” the issue of PTSD has become today.

“PTSD has become really prevalent in the last few years,” he added. “My only problem is we get paid good money and we all knew what it was before we got into (firefighting). Now people are saying after the fact that, ‘Oh, now I’m not OK with it.’ There aren’t fires like there used to be, so we have to play a big role to justify what they get paid and all that equipment.”

He said, at the end of the day, he feels for the Miller Paving employees who had to do the cleanup.

“They’re not trained emergency responders, they are truck drivers,” he said. “I can’t image what they were saying about the firefighters.”

Edited by furball (07/20/19 02:33 PM)

#9619411 - 08/02/19 06:52 AM Re: Firefighters refuse to do a 'washdown' ... Thoughts? [Re: furball]
355-Si Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
All they have to do, is go out of service.
Once that is activated, they wouldn't even be asked to go to the scene again to wash it down... they'd send the next closest truck. Done.
But having said that, they don't have a role in caring for the patients... just in extricating.
Shitty deal for Miller Paving.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads