Page 4 of 7 « First<23456>Last »
Topic Options
#9798465 - 04/30/20 02:59 PM Re: I started a blog (real estate) [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto, ON
Prices won’t go down unless there’s an abundance of inventory. Real estate here has always been driven by demand and the lack of supply is what’s causing prices to surge. It was never about income going inline with property prices lol

Transactions are still continuing and like Risky said prices are holding and I don’t see that changing. Only those that have been saying the bubble will burst for the past decade believe we are on an impending crash lol

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d
'02 Rota Grid - 195-55-16FR (RIP)
'04 Volk GTC - 245-35-19F/275-35-19R (Sold to a farm boi)
I thought Spark was a robot from the old movie and I kind of remember seeing him telling some engineer showing the equation for a clear metal that the guy would event years later - porschetr

#9798826 - 04/30/20 09:04 PM Re: I started a blog (real estate) [Re: Hatorade]
loudsubz Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ontario, Canada
 Originally Posted By: Hatorade
Prices won’t go down unless there’s an abundance of inventory. Real estate here has always been driven by demand and the lack of supply is what’s causing prices to surge. It was never about income going inline with property prices lol

Transactions are still continuing and like Risky said prices are holding and I don’t see that changing. Only those that have been saying the bubble will burst for the past decade believe we are on an impending crash lol

gonna quote this now so if it does I have proof :p

#9799416 - 05/01/20 02:45 PM Re: I started a blog (real estate) [Re: loudsubz]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

Some news to highlight.

Canadian Banks have deferred 15% of all residential mortgages on their books, in other words 15% of people have "defaulted" on their mortgages.

Also keep in mind you can defer on primary residence mortgages only, investment properties you can't defer on and those are real defaults (no numbers on this yet that I've seen).

#9799650 - 05/01/20 07:03 PM Re: I started a blog (real estate) [Re: Risky Business]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Here we go, negative condo assignments coming up, 30k off (BC).
#9800797 - 05/03/20 10:17 PM Re: I started a blog (real estate) [Re: Risky Business]
jackedUP_hatch Offline
Jr Member

Interesting information. I was close to buying a condo before the lockdown.

Do you foresee the highly leveraged investor/landlords get squeezed out of the game?

#9800867 - 05/04/20 04:54 AM Re: I started a blog (real estate) [Re: jackedUP_hatch]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

There are plenty of anecdotal examples right now of condo investors in default. The typical story, buy house and hold for a few years, refinance, pull equity from house, make down payment on "investment" condo, rent condo, condo appreciates, refinance condo, pull equity to spend on cars/house renovation etc.

I know of a few through my network that are in trouble now and with condos possibly to be listed, one managed to drop rent price and got someone in recently (or asking for parents to bail them out). It's happening, people are trying to hang on to dear life in some respects.

#9801052 - 05/04/20 10:47 AM Re: I started a blog (real estate) [Re: Risky Business]
jackedUP_hatch Offline
Jr Member

I used to own an income property and recently sold it to buy something in the city.

I owned the place for over 10 years. I had 'savvy' investors saying to leverage my income property and ride the growth ladder to success. Thankfully I stayed away, as these same people are now feeling the burn. They are in markets like Hamilton, and Oshawa with low-income renters who struggle to pay rent on a normal day.

I'm curious to see how the condo market plays out. Looks like units are selling at more realistic prices. Especially when banks aren't going to give any concessions for non-principal property financing.

#9801264 - 05/04/20 02:46 PM Re: I started a blog (real estate) [Re: jackedUP_hatch]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

It's a difficult industry to get transparency, hence why it seems to be very binary, you are either a real estate bull or bear.

That said the leverage model worked if you got lucky timing wise (2008 - 2016), anyone saying to leverage would've been correct in the short term, but obviously short sighted long term if you over leverage and you don't account for cashflow risk from things like covid or job losses/etc.

I still have no idea what will happen, factually condos/rents are currently the only segment hurting, everything else looks ok (potentially high end will get hit too).

The other group of people that are at risk are the ones that timed the market well (bought 5+ years ago), had massive equity gains in their homes, but have average incomes that wouldn't allow them to buy their house at current value with current income. This is the group that will generally borrow against HELOC to sustain a lifestyle or even worse go to a private lender for a second mortgage. We won't know the effects of this for at least 6-12 months, for in the mean time the market might be 'fine'. Surprisingly, this is a large portion of home owners.

#9802847 - 05/06/20 10:58 AM Re: I started a blog (real estate) [Re: Risky Business]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Added my take based on all new info released in early May by TREB/CMHC/Misc news

https://www.torfeno.com/home/gta-real-estate-post-coivd-may-edition

#9803699 - 05/07/20 07:57 AM Re: I started a blog (real estate) [Re: Risky Business]
c2k Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Wiesloch-Walldorf, Germany
FYI, just something to point out to you with regards to your long term take:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/post-secondary-enrollment-1.5554348

Quote:

the federal government reported foreign students contributed an estimated $21.6 billion to Canada's GDP in 2018 and that, between 2014 and 2018, the number of international students studying in Canada increased by 68 per cent.

I know in Mississauga area where there are lots of international students residing near UTM and my parents have mentioned that a fair amount of homes near the UTM campus are up for sale. What are your thoughts? The potential of decline of international student enrollment that will have an impact on real estate market?

#9803940 - 05/07/20 12:04 PM Re: I started a blog (real estate) [Re: c2k]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

I don't think decline in international students is the issue tbh. Canada is becoming more appealing for immigrants and international students.

The question is can student rents and their respective appreciation/flatness/decline support the asking prices of homes. I've looked at student housing in depth in KW, Guelph, and St. Catherines a couple of years back (Almost bought in Guelph - glad I didn't). They made financial sense then provided you managed them yourself. The ones by UT Mississauga I am going to assume you will not break even and you will have to bank on appreciation to make it worthwhile...that or be a slumlord which works, but has inherent risk.

If you have a specific example it's easier to talk, in general hard to comment since it's always property specific, but I am going to lean to the fact that there are better ways to park money in real esate.

Also more shitty news, google pulled the plug on the sidewalk labs project in the core \:o

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/sidewalk-labs-waterfront-toronto-quayside-vote-1.5342294

#9804049 - 05/07/20 01:23 PM Re: I started a blog (real estate) [Re: Risky Business]
Simon_the_Pieman Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: The A
 Originally Posted By: Risky Business

Also more shitty news, google pulled the plug on the sidewalk labs project in the core \:o

Isnt this a good thing for Canadian developers and innovators?

#9804111 - 05/07/20 02:16 PM Re: I started a blog (real estate) [Re: Simon_the_Pieman]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

A lot of condos in the area around sidewalk labs were touting the google tech build as the "feature" to the neighbourhood...so I'd say it's pretty negative because a bunch of jobs just disappeared and it will probably make other developers second guess what they are doing. The worst part is that google isn't short on cash, they legit don't have confidence in the project, which makes it that much worse.

That area is a solid development regardless of who develops it, so the silver lining is that someone else will pop up there regardless.

#9804380 - 05/07/20 07:23 PM Re: I started a blog (real estate) [Re: Risky Business]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Looks like it might've been a good thing after all - the cancellation (they asked for the world at the expense of the tax payers and it was in a ton of red tape with city hall). I think that was a negotiation tactic for a tech dystopia, we will see.
#9804407 - 05/07/20 07:54 PM Re: I started a blog (real estate) [Re: c2k]
JEFFOS Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto
 Originally Posted By: c2k

Quote:

the federal government reported foreign students contributed an estimated $21.6 billion to Canada's GDP in 2018 and that, between 2014 and 2018, the number of international students studying in Canada increased by 68 per cent.

I know in Mississauga area where there are lots of international students residing near UTM and my parents have mentioned that a fair amount of homes near the UTM campus are up for sale. What are your thoughts? The potential of decline of international student enrollment that will have an impact on real estate market?

Where abouts? I live pretty close to UTM, normal level of homes for sale near me. 2 new homes just sold around the corner at around 2.6 each (bought 1 and turned into 2 lots) which I thought would sit for a very long time.

Not challenging the comment I’m just curious where.

#9804570 - 05/08/20 05:45 AM Re: I started a blog (real estate) [Re: JEFFOS]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Are you saying you are looking for international roommates? How good are your water boiling skills (gotta get that meal premium)? ;\)
#9804602 - 05/08/20 07:52 AM Re: I started a blog (real estate) [Re: JEFFOS]
c2k Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: JEFFOS

Quote:

Where abouts? I live pretty close to UTM, normal level of homes for sale near me. 2 new homes just sold around the corner at around 2.6 each (bought 1 and turned into 2 lots) which I thought would sit for a very long time.

Im assuming near the collegeway and surrounding mississauga road area.

#9804841 - 05/08/20 11:22 AM Re: I started a blog (real estate) [Re: Risky Business]
JEFFOS Offline
Post Master Supreme

Are you saying you are looking for international roommates? How good are your water boiling skills (gotta get that meal premium)? ;\)

I will never rent any part of my house out haha. I’m pretty weird about having my own space. Even though lots of money to be made by doing it.

I am working on my boiling skills however....

#9804842 - 05/08/20 11:23 AM Re: I started a blog (real estate) [Re: c2k]
JEFFOS Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: JEFFOS

Quote:

Im assuming near the collegeway and surrounding mississauga road area.

Im not seeing it around Sherwood Forest and Mississauga road yet

#9807142 - 05/11/20 07:40 PM Re: I started a blog (real estate) [Re: JEFFOS]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Guy looking to buy a house right now had mortgage pre approval cancelled.

Bank: You are working full time and receiving CERB
Him: My cousins did it and said it's ok and I should do it in case I lost my job
Bank: You are eligible for CERB if you lost your job, this is fraud.

*mortgage got pulled*

shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiet

More of this to come.

#9807286 - 05/12/20 05:39 AM Re: I started a blog (real estate) [Re: c2k]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Quote:

AirBnB was first to fall, looks like student housing might be next as schools move to online study:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-universities-announce-online-fall-semesters-1.5565332

#9807329 - 05/12/20 08:21 AM Re: I started a blog (real estate) [Re: Risky Business]
Senor Eduardo_82 Offline
miataist
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ca�ada
Guy looking to buy a house right now had mortgage pre approval cancelled.

Bank: You are working full time and receiving CERB
Him: My cousins did it and said it's ok and I should do it in case I lost my job
Bank: You are eligible for CERB if you lost your job, this is fraud.

*mortgage got pulled*

shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiet

More of this to come.

https://nationalpost.com/news/do-not-imp...b-and-ei-claims

I heard this first in a podcast a few weeks ago, and now I'm reading about it again this morning. Basically the government was rubber-stamping CERB applications and planning to clawback the scammers/liars at tax time next year. Of course people are going to take advantage of an open door like that. Heck, I was tempted to go for it just because free money. My own sensibility prevailed, however I'm sure that isn't the case for many others.

#9807360 - 05/12/20 08:59 AM Re: I started a blog (real estate) [Re: Senor Eduardo_82]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

CRA will quickly learn about the small town of Brampton, Ontario and how 99% of CERB went there ;\)
#9807429 - 05/12/20 10:28 AM Re: I started a blog (real estate) [Re: Risky Business]
furball Online   willy_nilly
Post Master Sr

What $2k CERB dollars will get you across the country.

https://nationalpost.com/entertainment/weekend-post/canada-covid-19-cerb-cost-of-living

CRA will quickly learn about the small town of Brampton, Ontario and how 99% of CERB went there ;\)

#9807437 - 05/12/20 10:31 AM Re: I started a blog (real estate) [Re: furball]
Senor Eduardo_82 Offline
miataist
Post Master Supreme

It might get a month of car insurance in Brampton.
#9807523 - 05/12/20 11:11 AM Re: I started a blog (real estate) [Re: Senor Eduardo_82]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Not bad when 3 cars (1 car driveway) have 24 occasional drivers under the same address.
#9807628 - 05/12/20 12:15 PM Re: I started a blog (real estate) [Re: Risky Business]
Senor Eduardo_82 Offline
miataist
Post Master Supreme

That's 24 CERB payments under one roof.
#9807654 - 05/12/20 12:41 PM Re: I started a blog (real estate) [Re: Senor Eduardo_82]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

What about the unlicensed relatives living in the home collecting CERB?
#9807677 - 05/12/20 01:09 PM Re: I started a blog (real estate) [Re: Risky Business]
Senor Eduardo_82 Offline
miataist
Post Master Supreme

*gestures in Punjabi*
#9815166 - 05/21/20 06:00 AM Re: I started a blog (real estate) [Re: Senor Eduardo_82]
c2k Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

http://archive.is/ZJaKR

#9815167 - 05/21/20 06:11 AM Re: I started a blog (real estate) [Re: c2k]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Been following the CMHC data and writing something up now to post on the blog.

CN, wouldn't get too excited about a "crash" or massive drop just yet because the market is showing a completely different picture right now.

Kind of like the stock market right now, companies are in the gutter, but we are 7% from reaching our all time record high

Disconnect from reality is such amaze!

#9815218 - 05/21/20 08:14 AM Re: I started a blog (real estate) [Re: Risky Business]
Screamin Type ARGH! Offline
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T.O. - Canaduh
Been following the CMHC data and writing something up now to post on the blog.

CN, wouldn't get too excited about a "crash" or massive drop just yet because the market is showing a completely different picture right now.

Kind of like the stock market right now, companies are in the gutter, but we are 7% from reaching our all time record high

Disconnect from reality is such amaze!

lol dude this is what i been seeing (and sayin). housing market is full retard it is funny, but we can't complain (as home owners) lol. i still feel for those trying to 'get into' the market.

the scary thing though is the ppl who are all behind on rent and even car payments, it's nuts. this economic recovery aspect will take a year for sure, prob more.

"Ban low performance drivers, not high performance cars"

#9818391 - 05/26/20 10:23 AM Re: I started a blog (real estate) [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
furball Online   willy_nilly
Post Master Sr

Would this feed into your analysis: https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/scotiabank-earnings-1.5584621
#9819212 - 05/27/20 05:55 AM Re: I started a blog (real estate) [Re: furball]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Double form what baseline, notice how they omit context and baseline for sheer shock value. If it DOUBLED from 1% to 2% is it a big deal?

Garbage reporting.

#9819409 - 05/27/20 10:26 AM Re: I started a blog (real estate) [Re: Risky Business]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

Showings are up and registered offers are up.... bubble is bursting lol

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d
'02 Rota Grid - 195-55-16FR (RIP)
'04 Volk GTC - 245-35-19F/275-35-19R (Sold to a farm boi)
I thought Spark was a robot from the old movie and I kind of remember seeing him telling some engineer showing the equation for a clear metal that the guy would event years later - porschetr

Page 4 of 7 « First<23456>Last »

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads