Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#9956893 - 11/26/20 09:30 PM ok club old let's talk garage floors......
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto,Ontario
i gotta do something. my current garage floor looks like ass. think part old concrete and part flaking garbage home depo paint floor coating. i figured if i'm going to call this shoe box i have a garage i might aswell make it look decent. also keep in mind i hide from the weather for detailing in the garage.

my car gets the garage everyday. i've researched, quoted, seen, etc all these epoxy coatings and now i'm seeing garage tiles, people who use extra TD bank porcelain tile and every one has it's pros/cons so let's break this down because i know some of you want a garage flooring done or have gotten one done.

so epoxy:

pros:
-looks the best imo.
-most durable (maybe? porcelain stronger?)
-10 year warranty

cons:
-most expensive
-been told that for it to last it should be in a temperature controlled garage not to void warranty/hot tire pickup.
-slippery when wet?

porcelain tile:

pros:
-looks good
-strong? (i've never jacked a car up or dropped a hammer etc or worked on a car on a tile garage floor)

cons:
-expensive
-install expensive
-might crack a tile?
-no warranty
-slippery

Peel and stick vynal garage floor tiles:

pros:
-cheap
-replaceable
-looks...ok
-better grip when wet

cons:
-cheap. can you even use a jack or stands without ripping through?
-may lift up
-looks cheap(er)

Race deck garage floor tiles:

pros:
-replaceable
-cheap
-looks decent enough

cons:
-looks like it would keep in dirt
-can't really wash and floor squeegee it out
-looks cheaper than epoxy or tile

feel free to add anything to this. trying to make the best decision.

#9956908 - 11/26/20 10:15 PM Re: ok club old let's talk garage floors...... [Re: titty sprinkles]
Wildout Offline
Post Master Jr

Porcelain Tile

Get rectified so that it's not slippery.
PEI 4 or 5 of that it's strong (assuming a good install)
It's easy to clean up, stronger than concrete (assuming good install)
As is the best for our climate imo.

Next that I would do is racedeck. Just clean it out once a year, but it would look the best year round as all the dust and dirt collects underneath.

Skip epoxy & paint. Not worth the time and/or money.

#9956954 - 11/27/20 05:24 AM Re: ok club old let's talk garage floors...... [Re: Wildout]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

I have porcelain tiles (TD bank commercial grade outdoor rated w/ antislip).

For longevity it can't be beat. They are stronger than exposed concrete. I dropped my 1,000lbs car hoist from 2' when I was lifting it and it made a small chip. That's the equivalent of someone taking 10 sledge hammers and smashing a single point of the garage. Point being is that if it was exposed concrete it would have a massive break, same with epoxy, etc. I also had my gym in the garage, I dropped a 45 lbs iron plate on the tiles, my plate chipped, the tile just had a scuff i had to wipe off from the black plate.

Jack stands/jacks are a non issue. I am lifting 5,000 lbs SUV on the floor with the jack, never had any problems.

Since most people don't keep their houses long and this is expensive just get those racedeck tiles. They are perfect for light duty work and will satisfy the inner ricer in you. Porcelain is for real men & real garage work ;\)

#9956965 - 11/27/20 08:02 AM Re: ok club old let's talk garage floors...... [Re: Risky Business]
loudsubz Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ontario, Canada
 Originally Posted By: Risky Business
I have porcelain tiles (TD bank commercial grade outdoor rated w/ antislip).

For longevity it can't be beat. They are stronger than exposed concrete. I dropped my 1,000lbs car hoist from 2' when I was lifting it and it made a small chip. That's the equivalent of someone taking 10 sledge hammers and smashing a single point of the garage. Point being is that if it was exposed concrete it would have a massive break, same with epoxy, etc. I also had my gym in the garage, I dropped a 45 lbs iron plate on the tiles, my plate chipped, the tile just had a scuff i had to wipe off from the black plate.

Jack stands/jacks are a non issue. I am lifting 5,000 lbs SUV on the floor with the jack, never had any problems.

Since most people don't keep their houses long and this is expensive just get those racedeck tiles. They are perfect for light duty work and will satisfy the inner ricer in you. Porcelain is for real men & real garage work ;\)

approx cost?

#9956970 - 11/27/20 08:17 AM Re: ok club old let's talk garage floors...... [Re: loudsubz]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

I don't remember exact cost, roughly 440 sq. ft. of garage space I paid $1/sq. ft for the tile from a left over job at a TD branch, I did use premium thinset, I had to level/repour part of the original floor, etc.

Well worth it imo. Whatever you do just skip the epoxy, it doesn't last in our climate.

#9957107 - 11/27/20 03:08 PM Re: ok club old let's talk garage floors...... [Re: Risky Business]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
Bare concrete that's swept all the time for this guy, lol.

#9957140 - 11/27/20 04:43 PM Re: ok club old let's talk garage floors...... [Re: LNXGUY]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

That's perfectly fine, I'd rather leave exposed concrete and blow it out with a cordless dewalt weekly than look at flaking and chipped epoxy home depot special.
#9957169 - 11/27/20 06:42 PM Re: ok club old let's talk garage floors...... [Re: Risky Business]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
Yup, agreed. I like the tile to be honest.

#9957253 - 11/28/20 07:55 AM Re: ok club old let's talk garage floors...... [Re: Risky Business]
c2k Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Wiesloch-Walldorf, Germany
 Originally Posted By: Risky Business
I don't remember exact cost, roughly 440 sq. ft. of garage space I paid $1/sq. ft for the tile from a left over job at a TD branch, I did use premium thinset, I had to level/repour part of the original floor, etc.

Well worth it imo. Whatever you do just skip the epoxy, it doesn't last in our climate.

where did you buy the tiles from?

#9958235 - 11/30/20 02:22 PM Re: ok club old let's talk garage floors...... [Re: c2k]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

hrmm, seems like the race deck is a good fit for me. if i find that i don't like them then i can sell it after too and get the tile.

#9958451 - 11/30/20 06:01 PM Re: ok club old let's talk garage floors...... [Re: titty sprinkles]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto, ON
 Originally Posted By: titty sprinkles
hrmm, seems like the race deck is a good fit for me. if i find that i don't like them then i can sell it after too and get the tile.

Or buy from Costco and return it LOL

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d
'02 Rota Grid - 195-55-16FR (RIP)
'04 Volk GTC - 245-35-19F/275-35-19R (Sold to a farm boi)
I thought Spark was a robot from the old movie and I kind of remember seeing him telling some engineer showing the equation for a clear metal that the guy would event years later - porschetr

#9958480 - 11/30/20 06:47 PM Re: ok club old let's talk garage floors...... [Re: Hatorade]
Simon_the_Pieman Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: The A
option E - sell house

#9959114 - 12/01/20 02:29 PM Re: ok club old let's talk garage floors...... [Re: Simon_the_Pieman]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Simon_the_Pieman
option E - sell house

i like this option. lol

#9959335 - 12/01/20 05:25 PM Re: ok club old let's talk garage floors...... [Re: titty sprinkles]
loudsubz Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ontario, Canada
im sure if you bought from costco, after 10 years when you sold the house you could return for full refund \:\)
Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads