Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#809494 - 12/15/06 12:03 AM Carbon Fiber Care. How to Rid your CF of Cloudiness
MC_Flan Offline
Jr Poster

Loc: Ohio
Some of us like the visual look of the carbon fiber. It creates a unique look for your car that seperates it from some of the competition, so whats not to love about it? Well there is one thing, and that is when it starts to get cloudy (Oxidized). YOUR Carbon Fiber gets oxidation due to a poor wash/wax job and then when you park it outside; say on a warm sunny day the UV rays penetrate your hood and create a cloudy layer of Oxidized particles. For the most part, cloudiness is NOT a perminant. But some of us don't know how to care for carbon fiber when it gets cloudy. However, I hope that with this 101 I can help you take that
cloudiness out of your Carbon Fiber.

I have an extra Carbon Fiber hood laying around and I decided to try some products on it to see what would work and what wouldn't. Of these products I found a 3 step system at my local Autozone that seemed to work very well and what seemed to take all the Oxidation, swirls, and streaks in my hood. Its a 3 step system from Meguiars:

ALSO, while you're at Autozone, or wherever you can pick these products up be sure to get the Meguiars Car Wash, Microfiber Towels, and Wax/Polish Pads:

Alright with that said, here comes a step by step procedure for cleaning your Carbon Fiber(Hood in this instance).

Step 1: Wash your car, making sure to get all the bugs and road funk off of the front of your car. Make sure to get all the grit and grime off. I can't fathom that enough. ALSO, NEVER under any circumstances, use debugging spray on your Carbon Fiber. It has Chemicals in it that react with your Carbon Fiber resin in the Sun. SO NEVER USE DEBUGGING STUFF ON CARBON FIBER.

Step 2: Shammy your car completely dry, making sure to get all the water off your car.

Step 3: Park your car in a cool shady area where you know sun won't hit the car in a 2 hour time frame. Also, make sure you haven't been driving around. The hood needs to be cool when you do this 3 step system.

Step 4: Now that you have parked your car in the shade, and gotten all the water off of your car, you're ready to start with the 3 step system. First off, use the First Step in Maguiars system, which is the "Paint Cleaner." But sure to read the instructions on the back as it tells you to work in small area's at a time. This is because once you apply it, you promptly wipe it off. You don't let it set. Like I said, work in a small area...

What I have found to work is that when you apply the "Paint Cleaner" you want to apply it like you would a wax, using Circular motion. Then when you get the "Paint Cleaner" off you just want to rub it straight off. When you apply the "Paint Cleaner" ( OR any step for that matter you MUST apply some bit of pressure, so the Products can penetrate the Oxidized Area) it should look how it did in the image right above...Small area, directly on the Carbon Fiber. NOW, this is what the Carbon Fiber looked like before hand:

And this is what it looked like AFTER the first step:

Hopefully, you can see a major difference just after the first step. If not, then move onto the second step in the system.

Step 5: Use the next step in the system, which should be the "Polish." Repeat the exact same motions as you did in Step 4, only using the Second Step of Maguiars now. Being sure to work in a small area and applying and wiping off immediately. Remember to apply a good amount of pressure in this step as well. Applying good pressure will make it easier for the Products to penetrate the surface.

Step 6: Use the last step in the system, which should be the "Wax." All of you I HOPE now how to wax. This step is just like any other wax where you let it glaze over and then you wipe it off.

You should be done by this point and the oxidation should be off of your Carbon Fiber product. However, not all Carbon Fiber's are the same and no two clear coats are the same. So you may have to apply the first and second step ( IN the Maguiars 3 Step System) a couple times BEFORE you put on the last part of the system which is the Wax.

This is what my car looked like after I had gotten all of the Oxidation off...

Hehe, putting in a k24 this Winter...

I hope that you all get the same results that I did. Remember, take your time when you do this. If you try to hurry through this it will look half assed and your car will look the same as it did before you applied the Products. You get out, what you put in. So make it count. I would do this 3 step system EVERY time you wash and wax your car. So it provides thorough protection for your Carbon Fiber. Thats just me though. I like my whole car to be shinny all the time.

Again, I hope that this was all coherent and I hope that you all can rid your Carbon Fiber of Oxidation. If you have any questions or comments feel free to PM me.

Edited by MC_Flan (12/15/06 01:16 AM)

Visit Sponsors! Help CSi !
#809495 - 12/15/06 12:49 AM Re: Carbon Fiber Care. How to Rid your CF of Cloudiness
FBP EM1 Offline
Soon to have boost
Post Master

Loc: Yay Areeeeaaaa
Image shack doesn't work here can you use photobucket please!?!?! i'd like to see the pics!

#809496 - 12/21/06 11:29 AM Re: Carbon Fiber Care. How to Rid your CF of Cloudiness
FBP EM1 Offline
Soon to have boost
Post Master

Loc: Yay Areeeeaaaa
Pics finally work now...Nice write up!
Im gonna do this to my hood this weekend!

#809497 - 12/22/06 09:09 AM Re: Carbon Fiber Care. How to Rid your CF of Cloudiness
teal_dx Offline
Post Master

Nice how-to! I need to do this to my hood. I bought it used and it has stains from tree sap Any thoughts on removing these? I think I might need to do some 2000 grit wetsanding & polish.

#809498 - 12/29/06 01:05 PM Re: Carbon Fiber Care. How to Rid your CF of Cloudiness
MC_Flan Offline
Jr Poster

Tree sap is rough...I wouldn't use any degreasers or anything of that kind. Mainly because those are harsh on the Clear coat of the carbon fiber. If I were you...I would do what you were thinking with 2000 grit and wetsanding and polish. If that doesnt work just take it to the local body shop and have them sand and put new clear coat on it.

*It's the fastest who get paid and it's the fastest who get laid.*

#2393393 - 03/03/08 02:54 PM Re: Carbon Fiber Care. How to Rid your CF of Cloudiness [Re: MC_Flan]
sohchx Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: maryland,USA
can I do this with an orbital electric buffer?
#3389595 - 01/14/09 04:00 PM Re: Carbon Fiber Care. How to Rid your CF of Cloudiness [Re: sohchx]
Japanman2009 Offline

Nice write up. i'm definitely gonna do this
#3834315 - 06/19/09 12:02 AM Re: Carbon Fiber Care. How to Rid your CF of Cloudiness [Re: Japanman2009]
bb2prelude Offline

Maybe something that blocks UV rays would help keep it nice long-term?
#4359452 - 12/21/09 03:47 AM Re: Carbon Fiber Care. How to Rid your CF of Cloudiness [Re: bb2prelude]
DiGBiC Offline
Post Master Sr

good write up. I'll give it a try.

#4939081 - 08/03/10 06:25 PM Re: Carbon Fiber Care. How to Rid your CF of Cloudiness [Re: DiGBiC]
yookehjohn Offline

3 steps is two steps too many! jk. nice
#7173953 - 07/12/13 02:11 AM Re: Carbon Fiber Care. How to Rid your CF of Cloudiness [Re: yookehjohn]
mariasam Offline

I like it very much thanks for sharing this information with us….:)
pass4sure 000-377 pass4sure 000-377

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Dr. BrokenLimits, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads