Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#2480476 - 03/27/08 08:16 PM The Chevy Equinox Engine is Built in China?
NOT spotch... Offline
Post Master Supreme

March 26, 2008
A Chevy With an Engine From China
By IAN AUSTEN

OSHAWA, Ontario — General Motors car engines were once the stuff of American legend. The Beach Boys sang, “nothing can touch my 409,” about a powerful Chevy V-8. Oldsmobile owners in 1981 were so angered that their cars had been fitted with Chevrolet engines instead of Oldsmobile “Rockets,” the subject of another hit song, that they successfully sued G.M. over the swap.

The company has since eliminated brand distinctions between engines, saddling them with names unlikely to inspire songwriters, like Ecotec, Vortec and Northstar. But some owners of the Chevrolet Equinox, a “compact” sport utility vehicle built in North America, might be surprised to learn the origin of the engine under their hoods — it’s made in China.

Last year, China exported more than $12 billion in auto parts, up from less than $2 billion in 2002 — the majority to North America. The increase in exports has added to the problems plaguing North American suppliers. Most famously, Delphi, which is seeking to emerge from bankruptcy, has closed dozens of plants and moved some production overseas to become more competitive, including to China.

Soon China will be exporting whole vehicles to North America. Last year, Chrysler signed a deal with China’s largest car company, Chery Automobile, to supply a Dodge subcompact.

One of the most important steps on China’s long march to becoming an auto exporter was the little-noticed arrival of the humble engine inside the 2005 Chevy Equinox.

“This is the first Chinese-made engine going into this market,” said Eric A. Fedewa, vice president for powertrain forecasts at CSM Worldwide, an automotive analysis firm. “It was an experiment to see if G.M. could use its facility in China to take costs out of a vehicle.”

G.M. neither promoted nor hid the fact that the Equinox engine (and that of its twin, the Pontiac Torrent) is made in China. The car’s sticker notes 55 percent of its content is make in the United States and Canada, 20 percent in Japan, 15 percent in China and the rest from elsewhere. But no sticker tells consumers the engine is built at Shanghai General Motors, a joint venture of G.M. and the Shanghai Automotive Industry Corporation, a Chinese company.

Originally intended to power Buick sedans built for the Chinese market, the engine is the only one available in the Equinox base model.

Starting with the 2008 model, a larger American-made motor became an option in a higher-end version of the S.U.V. The same model of engine as the one made in China is produced at a G.M. engine plant in Tonawanda, N.Y., about a two-hour drive from the Canadian factory that builds the Equinox.

G.M. does not break out internal costs, so it is not known how the Chinese engines compare in price with those from Tonawanda. Mr. Fedewa said an engine of this sort typically costs $800 to $900 to make.

Even in an era of global manufacturing, the Equinox is exceptionally international. Its engineering was largely done here in Oshawa, headquarters of General Motors of Canada. It uses a five-speed automatic transmission made in Japan by Aisin Seiki, though G.M. is a leading manufacturer of automatic transmissions. And the parts are assembled at a factory in Ingersoll, Ontario, a joint venture between G.M. and Suzuki, another Japanese firm.

Suzuki was a major driver in the decision to use the Chinese-made engine. Dick Kauling, a senior engineering manager at G.M. Canada who helped develop the Equinox, said his group had worked closely with engineers at Suzuki, as well as G.M. engineers in Germany, China and Warren, Mich.

“The Suzuki guys said, ‘We have the global logistics that can make this happen,’ ” Mr. Fedewa said.

Suzuki proposed loading a container ship in Shanghai with engines, then having it stop in Japan to pick up transmissions on its way to Canada.

A 25-year G.M. veteran, Mr. Kauling, remembers when car buyers hotly debated the differences between the engines in G.M. brands, not to mention those from other automakers. But he said the old way of organizing production was less than efficient.

Early in his career, the company was running short of engines for Chevrolets but had a surplus of Oldsmobile motors. He was assigned to find a way to modify the incompatible Oldsmobile engine — the two brands had not even been able to agree on common bolt sizes — to fit into a Chevy body.

Now, Mr. Kauling said, “I don’t think we’re concerned where the parts come from,” adding, the Chinese-made engine “has got General Motors all over it.”

The idea of using the Chinese engine did not sit well with the Canadian Auto Workers, the union that represents workers at the Equinox factory. Because of its complexity, engine assembly uses a higher proportion of skilled, well-paid workers.

And Basil E. Hargrove, the union’s president, blames what he calls unfair trading practices by Asian manufacturers for much of the North American industry’s problems.

“Today it’s South Korea and Japan, and tomorrow it’s going to be China,” he said. “It’s only a matter of time before G.M., Ford and Chrysler are going to deal with the crisis they face by going into these countries and shipping into here. Very few consumers ask: where is the engine built or where is the transmission made?”

Assessing the quality of Chinese manufacturing is difficult, partly because of the design of this particular engine.

Gabriel Shenhar, the senior engineer of Consumer Reports auto test division, said that in the Equinox the engine is coarse, noisy, uses more fuel than similar vehicles and produces relatively little horsepower for its size.

He did not blame the Chinese for those shortcomings. “This engine’s blueprint did not originate in China,” Mr. Shenhar said. “The 3.4 liter, 185 horsepower has always been a lackluster engine.”

He called flaws in the design “a reflection of G.M.’s lack of attention to detail and half-hearted effort on this car.”

A spokeswoman for Chevrolet, Carolyn Normandin, said, “Our vehicle comes with a standard six-cylinder engine, while most of our competitors only offer standard four-cylinder engines.” She added that the company will offer improved fuel economy in the next-generation Equinox. She declined to say when that will be introduced.

Some observers expect the new model will be out in about two years. Mr. Fedewa, the analyst from CSM, expects they will not be fitted with Chinese engines.

“Sourcing from halfway around the world is very challenging,” he said, referring to the difficulties of fitting huge transmissions into shipping containers and the possibility of supply-chain disruption.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/26/business/worldbusiness/26chevy.html?pagewanted=print

I wonder how much money GM lost importing those shitty ass engines from China? (I'm assuming they lost money on the deal somehow, or else they'd be building all the other engines there by now... it's not like GM is afraid to outsource lol)

btw, I like how the engine is a piece of shit and its not even China's fault, that's classic.

Edited by spotch (03/27/08 08:17 PM)

Videos
#2481000 - 03/27/08 10:33 PM Re: The Chevy Equinox Engine is Built in China? [Re: NOT spotch...]
NHRATA01 Offline
Post Master

Loc: New York
Well, I think it was almost by default. I don't believe the 3.4 is used in any other GM line at this point, but they were using it quite a bit on their Chinese line.

Though I can't imagine it would've cost much to swap to the 3.5 60 degree pushrod motor which is near identical to the shitty 3.4. At least they finally dropped in the 3.6 DOHC, so there's a decent engine available. Car needs a redesign though.

#2481077 - 03/27/08 10:55 PM Re: The Chevy Equinox Engine is Built in China? [Re: NHRATA01]
NOT spotch... Offline
Post Master Supreme

Yeah I've heard good things about the 3.6

#2481133 - 03/27/08 11:07 PM Re: The Chevy Equinox Engine is Built in China? [Re: NOT spotch...]
Gravy Train Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Plano, Texas
I got my mom an '08 Saturn Vue last weekend with my GM Supplier coupon... it didn't take much to convince her to upgrade from the 4 cyl. to the 3.6L DOHC. It scoots for weighing two tons and the 6-speed auto is well appreciated behind the torquey V6.
#2481688 - 03/28/08 06:23 AM Re: The Chevy Equinox Engine is Built in China? [Re: Gravy Train]
NHRATA01 Offline
Post Master

Loc: New York
 Originally Posted By: Lude Conduct
I got my mom an '08 Saturn Vue last weekend with my GM Supplier coupon... it didn't take much to convince her to upgrade from the 4 cyl. to the 3.6L DOHC. It scoots for weighing two tons and the 6-speed auto is well appreciated behind the torquey V6.

We're sort of looking for a replacement for my wife's '03 Rav4. And while she'd like another Rav (the new ones are pretty nice) I'm trying to get her to cross shop a Vue - as I get the retiree discount thanks to the old man. New Vue is very nice, and a big improvement. But I can't believe for a cute-ute it weighs 4200lbs (according to the recent C/D test I read), probably about as much as my Caddy, and ~300lbs more than the old body-on-frame truck Blazer that I had. There's no way that thing can move with the 4. At least the 4-cyl Rav is only around 3500.

#2481894 - 03/28/08 08:22 AM Re: The Chevy Equinox Engine is Built in China? [Re: NHRATA01]
MadKilla Offline
Post Master Jr

Loc: South FL
Equinox is a POS. But its hard to beat as a $150 a month people hauler.
2008 Buick Enclave CXL Buttery smoove mommy wagin
2012 CTS Coupe-sold
2014 FX37- traded

#2482186 - 03/28/08 09:45 AM Re: The Chevy Equinox Engine is Built in China? [Re: MadKilla]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Edmonton
I looked at the Vue, Rav-4, Edge and CX-7, both put me off based on weight (and lack of a few key options) and pricing that came very close to the RDX.

The CX7 and RDX are both in the 3900 pound range and they are roughly the same size as an Edge and bigger than a Vue. The Vue Redline is 4300 lbs in AWD trim and the Edge is in the 4600 lbs area. The Rav is 3750 or so, but again, was missing some of the options and none of the price.

#2482697 - 03/28/08 11:42 AM Re: The Chevy Equinox Engine is Built in China? [Re: Impulsive]
allan r Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: the land of cheese
this is old news actually... but it sure makes you proud to be an american, doesn't it?

#2482751 - 03/28/08 11:50 AM Re: The Chevy Equinox Engine is Built in China? [Re: allan r]
NOT spotch... Offline
Post Master Supreme

Yeah, the only thing that makes me more proud than having our shit built everywhere but here is that the shit we're fucking importing should've been given up on about 10 years ago, but our brilliant heads of industry decide to flaunt our trash around the globe before bringing it back home and selling it to us. I still can't get over how the worst thing about these Chinese built engines ISN'T the fact that they're Chinese built, but that they're American-designed (or, at best, American-designed eons ago and then continued well past whatever 'prime' the 3.4 may have had at the direction of American managers.)
#2483424 - 03/28/08 01:44 PM Re: The Chevy Equinox Engine is Built in China? [Re: NOT spotch...]
UglyValiant Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Milwaukee, WI
The prime for these engines...it's "hey-day" was probably back in the late mid 80's...in the caviler z24. Mad-tyte 135hp, rip-roaring mid-16's in the quarter. Trust me, you felt the earth move when these things started.
1989 Shelby CSX (#500/500)
The most powerful production minivan money can buy.

#2483503 - 03/28/08 01:59 PM Re: The Chevy Equinox Engine is Built in China? [Re: UglyValiant]
NOT spotch... Offline
Post Master Supreme

They're based off the 1980 2.8, right?

#2483636 - 03/28/08 02:26 PM Re: The Chevy Equinox Engine is Built in China? [Re: NOT spotch...]
UglyValiant Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Milwaukee, WI
 Originally Posted By: spotch
They're based off the 1980 2.8, right?
yep....a very underwhelming engine.

I just drove a Buick Rendevous with one from WI/FL/n'back...somewhat underpowered. It's lack of power was masked by the use of aggressive throttle setting, IE, press a little, and it gives a lot. But, this was unmasked when you really needed to step on it, there was not a whole lot left. Hitting the pass at Monteagle, TN, you had to pull the car down a gear or two to hold speed...

One aspect about the vehicle that did impress somewhat was the mileage...in that it was better than I was expecting. At 75-80mph, we'd get around 22-23, and at more reasonable speeds, we got as high as 25mpg.

An engine like this, in a plat-form like that, really needed a wide ratio 6 speed or CVT type tranny.
1989 Shelby CSX (#500/500)
The most powerful production minivan money can buy.

#2483778 - 03/28/08 02:44 PM Re: The Chevy Equinox Engine is Built in China? [Re: UglyValiant]
danl Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Maryland USA
"Chevrolet a Chinese revolution"
#2483804 - 03/28/08 02:47 PM Re: The Chevy Equinox Engine is Built in China? [Re: danl]
NOT spotch... Offline
Post Master Supreme

*waits for john mellencamp to sing "This is our country" in Chinese*
#2484339 - 03/28/08 04:38 PM Re: The Chevy Equinox Engine is Built in China? [Re: NOT spotch...]
SiGuyUWP Offline
Major Member

This is old as fuck, when this Equinox came out they mentioned it in all the road tests. Where did this article even come from? I always love it when non-automotive media gets a hold of a car type story. I just read a few weeks back in USA Today about the Tesla roadster. Car mags talked about it months back, but then the d bag that wrote the article talked it about it like it was the first time anyone have ever seen it.

Back on topic, I've only been in 1 Equinox and it wasn't a bad car. The girl who owned it loved the thing. I don't remember the engine being noisy or anything but I wasn't riding in it all that long.

#2484567 - 03/28/08 05:51 PM Re: The Chevy Equinox Engine is Built in China? [Re: SiGuyUWP]
NOT spotch... Offline
Post Master Supreme

In everyone else's defense, who the FUCK actually reads road tests that include the Chevy Equinox.
;\)

Seriously though.

#2484655 - 03/28/08 06:18 PM Re: The Chevy Equinox Engine is Built in China? [Re: NOT spotch...]
danl Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Maryland USA
Spotch, who are you kidding? You've probably test driven every color option available in the Equinox but were to embarrassed to post it!
#2484744 - 03/28/08 06:52 PM Re: The Chevy Equinox Engine is Built in China? [Re: danl]
NOT spotch... Offline
Post Master Supreme

*runs outside to throw OEM Equinox car cover over brand new 2008 Chevrolet Equinox in driveway*

#2486400 - 03/29/08 12:17 PM Re: The Chevy Equinox Engine is Built in China? [Re: NOT spotch...]
SiGuyUWP Offline
Major Member

Originally Posted By: spotch
In everyone else's defense, who the FUCK actually reads road tests that include the Chevy Equinox.
;\)

Seriously though.

LOL, good point. On long flights, I usually get bored enough to read the whole magazine.

#2486438 - 03/29/08 12:38 PM Re: The Chevy Equinox Engine is Built in China? [Re: SiGuyUWP]
NOT spotch... Offline
Post Master Supreme

That's understandable, and it's not like I haven't read a review like that just to see how badly GM or Ford are shafting their American buyers, but I always thought I was the only one lol. Its obvious that I'm slipping...
Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  auxilary, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads