Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#2845367 - 07/22/08 08:15 PM New 2008 SI question, drive by wire problem???
CMR Offline

I just bought a new '08 SI and I have about 2200 mi. on it already. I've been taking it easy on it and I really like the car so far. One thing I've noticed though is a problem when taking off. I can feather the gas and the rpms do not increase as much as they should when I start to take off. If I push the clutch all the way in though and feather it a few more times then the RPM's will spike. Why is this? If I give it a quick rev on a downshift from 2nd to 1st, then it takes off fine. But every once in a while it has a delayed reaction when taking off. It will only rev to like 1500 - 2000 rpm at the most when slowly taking off even when giving it almost half-throttle, but then it will all of a sudden spike when taking off. Is this a drive by wire problem that I should take to a dealer to have checked out? I bought an Injen CAI for it but I am waiting to install it until I find out if this is normal and other people have the same issue or if it is just something with my car and I should have checked out. Let me know if any of you guys are having the same problem or if I should take it the dealer. Thanks, I appreciate it!

Videos
#2845638 - 07/22/08 10:22 PM Re: New 2008 SI question, drive by wire problem??? [Re: CMR]
NighthawkSiSedan Offline
Major Member

Loc: Dhaka, Bangladesh
Its just very sensitive, just keep practicing with it and you'll get used to it.
07 FA5 . Nighthawk Black . Xenondepot 5000k HIDs . Sony Bt5000 . Alpine Mrp-m850 . (2) Infinity Kappa Perfect 12's . Comptech SS . Injen Cai . Ingalls ETD . Corsport Cable Bushings . Hondata Reflash . Hondata IMG . Strup RH .
[url=www.norotas.com][/url]
[url=www.norotas.com][/url]

#2845739 - 07/22/08 11:32 PM Re: New 2008 SI question, drive by wire problem??? [Re: NighthawkSiSedan]
tobesi Offline
Jr Poster

I notice the same behavior, my guess is that the ECU is trying to prevent the engine from stalling ...
#2847832 - 07/23/08 04:44 PM Re: New 2008 SI question, drive by wire problem??? [Re: tobesi]
bkarno Offline
Jr Poster

As I am sure many have noticed, if you try to rev the engine while you are rolling really slow with the clutch disengaged(like say in a line at a drive through or in traffic) it is like the pedal doesn't even work. But, if you come to a complete stop, or you are moving at a decent speed, the car revs up just fine. Maybe you aren't coming to a complete stop. Have you noticed that the car does this? I would also recomend that for normal driving, you should start to engage the clutch first and then add gas to compensate. It should be an even exchange not a revving of the engine and then feeding the clutch. I am not saying that this is what you are doing, I am just offering suggestions and trying to solve your issue because the way you describe it, it sounds like you are doing the latter.
#2848120 - 07/23/08 05:56 PM Re: New 2008 SI question, drive by wire problem??? [Re: bkarno]
CMR Offline

It's funny that you say that because that's exactly what I have noticed. If I come to a rolling stop and start to take off and feather the gas a little bit to go, it just doesn't seem like it wants to rev up. But if I come to a complete stop and hit the gas it revs right up like it should. I guess I'll just have to pay attention more and do as you are saying make sure I let the clutch out a little first and then give it some gas. I thought something was wrong with it but it seems that it is the same with you guys. It just seems weird that the revs aren't linear and consistent. I'm sure I'll get used to it with some practice. Thanks for the help and tips though everyone! If there's anything else I should need to know, feel free to tell me.

#2848638 - 07/23/08 08:47 PM Re: New 2008 SI question, drive by wire problem??? [Re: CMR]
bkarno Offline
Jr Poster

I think it is the strangest thing, but it is the case that if you are going like 10mph you can rev it up but slow to 5 and the throttle dies.
#2854913 - 07/25/08 03:55 PM Re: New 2008 SI question, drive by wire problem??? [Re: bkarno]
Elusive8 Offline

Loc: NC
I only notice this if I put my car in reverse and just go 2-3 mph in reverse, I'll put it in first and give it gas to start to move and the RPMS won't move until the car is almost stopped. I don't know if this is to keep from harming the transmission or what?
#2855547 - 07/25/08 09:50 PM Re: New 2008 SI question, drive by wire problem??? [Re: Elusive8]
HabaneroSedan Offline
Sr Member

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
my s/c makes this hesitation worse

#2865096 - 07/29/08 04:13 PM Re: New 2008 SI question, drive by wire problem??? [Re: HabaneroSedan]
imthewalrus37 Offline

what is drive by wire?
#2871939 - 07/31/08 01:04 PM Re: New 2008 SI question, drive by wire problem??? [Re: imthewalrus37]
#lodestar Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Not in Kansas anymore
 Originally Posted By: imthewalrus37
what is drive by wire?

the gas peddal doesnt have a direct link. there is a wire that goes from the foot to the ecu to the throttle body.

The car is making sure you dont rev spike the car in to oblivion in between the gears. You need a faster throttle response to start then you do just fucking around.

I take no joy in owning you people like this anymore. Now I just feel like I'm teaching a retarded class & doing God's work."
-Napoleon complex things

#2872046 - 07/31/08 01:32 PM Re: New 2008 SI question, drive by wire problem??? [Re: #lodestar]
tobesi Offline
Jr Poster

I wonder if there's a DBW to Cable conversion kit on the market... I would get one :). I rarely use the curise control anyway.
#2873739 - 07/31/08 09:05 PM Re: New 2008 SI question, drive by wire problem??? [Re: tobesi]
CMR Offline

Does anyone know if the Hondata reflash fixes this RPM hesitation problem on the low end? I've gotten kind of used to making sure I let the clutch out a little first and then give it gas. I definitely notice a difference though, it seems to rev better and want to take off quicker.

#2936591 - 08/21/08 01:08 AM Re: New 2008 SI question, drive by wire problem??? [Re: CMR]
trilogy Offline

FYI everybody Blitz makes a throttle controller for our si's you might want to check it out.

#2973462 - 09/01/08 09:04 PM Re: New 2008 SI question, drive by wire problem??? [Re: trilogy]
CMR Offline

It sounds good and seems like it would fix this hesitation problem. Has anyone tried this throttle controller by Blitz?

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Design, A_Mantis, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop