Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#5969837 - 12/02/11 07:28 PM Sit up/crunches: Any point if you have excessive body fat?
HX_Guy Offline
Please blame any typos on my executive assistant
Post Master Supreme

I haven't been doing any sort of abdominal exercises during the past three months while working out the rest of my body because I've always been under the impression that if you have a lot of fat over your abs, all working them out is going to do is push that fat out more and actually make you look bigger.

Is this correct or is there a benefit to doing them? Will the fat distribute/sit differently if you have some muscle under there?
2022 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate

#5969888 - 12/02/11 07:54 PM Re: Sit up/crunches: Any point if you have excessive body fat? [Re: HX_Guy]
slackereg6 Offline

Loc: Hot Texas
To get visible abs - none
To gain core strength - yes

#5969909 - 12/02/11 07:59 PM Re: Sit up/crunches: Any point if you have excessive body fat? [Re: slackereg6]
pimpin8 ez Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Wisconsin
Primarily, you simply need to eat less calories than you consume, but I'm sure you are already doing that. Either upping your exercise or decreasing your intake.

Second, work your core with stabilizing exercises, like planks (lots of variations), suitcase walks, woodchoppers, etc. Things that focus on keeping your core stationary and supporting, as is their job. Don't worry about "abs pushing out your fat" because as you lose weight by shedding that fat, you'll have some decent core muscles underneath ready to emerge.

#5970143 - 12/02/11 10:25 PM Re: Sit up/crunches: Any point if you have excessive body fat? [Re: pimpin8 ez]
sexypants Offline
Post Master

I would say its very important. Having a strong core will let you work out with much heavier weights without the risk of serious injury. All of which will both help your health and physical appearance.
#5970258 - 12/02/11 11:19 PM Re: Sit up/crunches: Any point if you have excessive body fat? [Re: sexypants]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Edmonton
I do it for core. 45 pound plate twists, weighted crunches on a ball and the ab wheel. Made me hit more home runs in ball...

I don't have a six pack, but I can still see the outline.

#5970310 - 12/02/11 11:59 PM Re: Sit up/crunches: Any point if you have excessive body fat? [Re: Impulsive]
Silock Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Jayhawk Country
As long as you are doing heavy squats and deads, it's not that big of a deal.
#5971209 - 12/03/11 02:46 PM Re: Sit up/crunches: Any point if you have excessive body fat? [Re: Silock]
Rumbelstiltskin Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: So Cal
Yup, core strength. I noticed my abs are flexed a lot during my lifts. I just started doing shoulder presses. I found that my form is a lot better when I purposely flex my abs.
#5971368 - 12/03/11 04:27 PM Re: Sit up/crunches: Any point if you have excessive body fat? [Re: HX_Guy]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: HX_Guy
I haven't been doing any sort of abdominal exercises during the past three months while working out the rest of my body because I've always been under the impression that if you have a lot of fat over your abs, all working them out is going to do is push that fat out more and actually make you look bigger.

Is this correct or is there a benefit to doing them? Will the fat distribute/sit differently if you have some muscle under there?

Part one is true. My torso has gotten bigger due to my core routine(big compounds and a lot of planks, that's it).
However if I take my shirt off I can generally see ab muscles.
So I look "fatter" with my clothes on but better with-out.

Avoiding core exercises seems as dumb as only doing them.
I mean isn't there a happy medium for most health things.

#5974505 - 12/05/11 11:35 AM Re: Sit up/crunches: Any point if you have excessive body fat? [Re: ]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canadistan
to supplement core strength. of course its important

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads