Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#4363345 - 12/22/09 03:13 AM Working out to promote weight loss, how's this routine?
DropNotch Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Tuscaloosa, AL
Like the title says, I've finally found a place to workout using actual weights to add on some muscle to increase my calorie burning power. I have a mild lower back issue due to a work injury that tends to flair up from time to time so I decide to pretty much limit my workouts to upper body with the exception of light weight high rep squats, calve raises, and the quad lift thing until I feel comfortable doing more.

So here is the routine I found online that was setup and seems easiest to follow. I've done this routine twice now and it's taken me about an hour or so to complete.

Workout Sheet

Dumbbell Bench Press = four sets , 12-10-8-6 reps minute or so between
Dumbbell Fly's = two sets, 12-12 reps
Seated Dumbbell press = four sets, 12-10-8-6 reps
side raises = two sets, 12-12 reps
one arm Dumbbell rows = four sets, 12-10-8-6 reps
Dumbbell pullovers = two sets, 12-12 reps
Dumbbell Extensions = four sets, 12-10-8-6 reps
Seated Dumbbell curls = four sets, 12-10-8-6 reps
Standing Dumbbell curls = two sets, 12-12 reps

Squats = two sets 12-12 reps
Shoulder Shrugs = three sets, 12-12-12 reps
Calve raise = two sets, 12-12 reps
Quad machine lift (weight plates)= four sets 12-12-12 reps

I've been using the heaviest weights that I can manage to keep proper form with. I've also added extra reps/sets when I have the strength.

Is there anything else I should add in? I've enjoyed doing this routine so far. I am going to be working out four days aweek, three in a row then one off, then work out one day, then off two (can only work out when at work). Of course I'm still doing cardio, stopped doing it everyday and set it to 6 days a week, 2.5 miles a night. Down to 260 pounds (15 pounds since last fitness post in october). So anyway let me know what you think.
400whp

2013 Scion Fr-S
2005 Subaru WRX STI
2017 GMC Sierra All-Terrain
2022 GMC Yukon Denali XL
2023 Ford Mustang GT Premium

#4363465 - 12/22/09 07:15 AM Re: Working out to promote weight loss, how's this routine? [Re: DropNotch]
wolfsburg2 Offline
Post Master Supreme

That's all one workout? Fuck that.

#4363629 - 12/22/09 08:42 AM Re: Working out to promote weight loss, how's this routine? [Re: wolfsburg2]
Garest Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
wow you are gonna be dead after that
#4364424 - 12/22/09 12:01 PM Re: Working out to promote weight loss, how's this routine? [Re: Garest]
fART dUST Offline
gradgradgradgradgradgrad
Post Master Sr

Loc: NY
weight loss is diet
#4364624 - 12/22/09 01:03 PM Re: Working out to promote weight loss, how's this routine? [Re: fART dUST]
Prophet925 Offline
Sr Member

Loc: Long Beach
Yes, weight is lost in the kitchen. You shouldn't have to lift differently just because you're trying to shed fat, IMO.
#4364787 - 12/22/09 01:46 PM Re: Working out to promote weight loss, how's this routine? [Re: Prophet925]
LuckyRVA Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Queens, NY
are all of those sets with relatively lightweight? b/c I would probably puke trying to lift heavy and do that many sets. it's way too much IMO.

#4364904 - 12/22/09 02:11 PM Re: Working out to promote weight loss, how's this routine? [Re: Prophet925]
Silock Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Jayhawk Country
That's way too much and a lot of it is completely unnecessary. Not working out your entire body because you are afraid of hurting your back is only going to keep throwing your body out of balance. Our bodies are amazing things. When one part isn't working right, some other muscle group will pick up the slack. Problem is, that other muscle group isn't really designed to be picking up that slack for a long period of time. The result is that your original problem will never get better, or the new muscle group will eventually become overloaded and unable to do what you're asking of it. Then you'll be proper fucked.

And you're doing this exact workout three days in a row and five days a week? Monumentally bad idea. When are your muscles going to grow? You're not giving them time to repair by working them out day after day.

Read some of the articles here to get you started:
http://www.alwyncosgrove.com/Articles.html

If I were you, I'd be doing total-body workouts with high reps and light weight. I disagree that you don't need to change lifting style while trying to lose weight. I think you do. If you do full-body workouts with resistance, you'll be combining cardio and lifting, making a routine that will ramp up your fat burning by a lot.

Again, from Alwyn:

http://alwyncosgrove.blogspot.com/2009/12/adjusting-training-for-fat-loss.html

Quote:

MONDAY, DECEMBER 21, 2009

Adjusting Training for Fat Loss
Q: What do you think of the current expert recommendation that when training for fat loss - the training itself doesn't change - only the diet?

A: I don't think much of it. I know the "experts" you are speaking of who say that and I'm afraid I just don't agree. The underlying logic is that training for strength or muscle growth is the same regardless of your goal - and the sole reason for weight training during a diet is to maintain muscle.

At first glance that's pretty good advice. Until we dig further.

When you ask the experts how exactly they would adjust the diet -- you usually get a stock answer of keep protein the same to maintain muscle, keep fat at about the same and reduce the carbs.

Really? The only difference between a strength and mass program and a fat loss program is the amount of carbohydrate? In other words - a 24 year old rugby player trying to gain size will be on the exact same program as a 24 year old rugby player trying to drop excess fat, only the amount of bread and pasta he can eat is different?

Let me summarize - so the prescription for increased muscle mass/strength AND fat loss is for example heavy weights and lower reps. So a strength coach can simply write one program and just modify the diet without changing anything ??

Uh no.

Let's reverse the scenario -- That would mean that if a client used a program to get down to 9% bodyfat, and decided that they wanted to gain 20lbs of muscle - all we'd have to add is 3 or 4 bagels per day?

As usual this is an example of people who don't actually train people for a living. If a client hires me to get them bigger - the ENTIRE plan is different from a client who wants to lean out or drop a weight class. Training, nutrition, cardio and supplementation all change.

Training to increase size and training for fat loss will definitely have similarities - but if the desired goal is different - the training has to be different too. I don't believe in two people having the exact same program even if their goals are the same -- so I definitely don't agree with this "logic".

Fat loss and hypertrophy training templates are definitely going to be different.

--
AC

I'd do something like this, especially if you're going to be working out every day:

Day 1:
Barbell + plates (10/25/35/45 -- if you can go higher than 135 lbs total... more power to you)

All of this is 1 set, work your way up to 8
10 Deadlifts
10 Bent Over Rows
10 Hang Clean
10 Squats
10 Push Press
10 Alternating Lunges

Rest 2 minutes, repeat.

Day 2:
Bodyweight circuits

60 Jumping Jacks
20 Spiderman pushups
10 Alternating Lunges
20 Spiderman Climbs
60 seconds wall squat
60 seconds Plank
10 Burpees
50 High Knees

Rest 1 minute, do 3 sets

Does it look as pretty? Nope. Are people going to be admiring your workout routine in the gym? Nope. In fact, you'll get some funny-ass looks. But it works. It absolutely works, and that's what's important.

#4365126 - 12/22/09 03:08 PM Re: Working out to promote weight loss, how's this routine? [Re: Silock]
DropNotch Offline
Post Master Sr

Thanks for the info and workout routine Drew (silock lol). Once I look up what half of those exercises mean I'll have to give it a try too. I am only working out a total of 4 days a week (3 straight, 1 off, 1 workout, 2 off then repeat)

Its not hard to do the workout I posted. I take my time and have been using the heaviest weights I can keep proper form with. The only part that I've had problems with so far is the dumbbell pullovers- they hurt so bad/good lol.

I had forgot about deadlifts, and I agree with what you said about avoiding my back injury is only going to make it worst.
400whp

2013 Scion Fr-S
2005 Subaru WRX STI
2022 GMC Yukon Denali XL

#4365133 - 12/22/09 03:10 PM Re: Working out to promote weight loss, how's this routine? [Re: DropNotch]
Silock Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Even though the workout may not be difficult to actually *do* 3 days in a row, you're still not providing your muscles adequate time to recover so they can grow when you work them out 3 days straight. You need some variation in there so they get some rest. If they're not growing and repairing, they won't be burning calories and fat.
#4365203 - 12/22/09 03:35 PM Re: Working out to promote weight loss, how's this routine? [Re: Silock]
Dahlia Offline
CSi's Little Nanook
Post Master Supreme

Loc: North of 60
Thanks for the link to the articles Drew!

I am in the middle of switching things up a bit and they are good reading for me \:D

Much appreciated sexy pants

Good night, sweet Spencer (June 10th, 2004 - July 9th, 2015) <3

#4365255 - 12/22/09 03:50 PM Re: Working out to promote weight loss, how's this routine? [Re: Silock]
Prophet925 Offline
Sr Member

Loc: Long Beach
In regards to how to lift during fat loss, I lied. I certainly do not lift the same while cutting vs while bulking. But for my goals, my lifting routine stays heavy and intense year round despite variations in rest times, volume, etc.
#4365839 - 12/22/09 06:22 PM Re: Working out to promote weight loss, how's this routine? [Re: Prophet925]
Silock Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Prophet925
In regards to how to lift during fat loss, I lied. I certainly do not lift the same while cutting vs while bulking. But for my goals, my lifting routine stays heavy and intense year round despite variations in rest times, volume, etc.

Mine generally does, too. I really like the 5-6 rep range because it maintains strength and builds it without packing on a ton of muscle mass.

When I was doing my cut, I did a lot of the high-rep full-body stuff and it really worked well and I didn't lose strength.

#4365842 - 12/22/09 06:23 PM Re: Working out to promote weight loss, how's this routine? [Re: Dahlia]
Silock Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Dahlia
Thanks for the link to the articles Drew!

I am in the middle of switching things up a bit and they are good reading for me \:D

Much appreciated sexy pants

No problem . . . Hottie McShowmeboobs!

#4365844 - 12/22/09 06:24 PM Re: Working out to promote weight loss, how's this routine? [Re: DropNotch]
Silock Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: DropNotch
Thanks for the info and workout routine Drew (silock lol). Once I look up what half of those exercises mean I'll have to give it a try too. I am only working out a total of 4 days a week (3 straight, 1 off, 1 workout, 2 off then repeat)

Its not hard to do the workout I posted. I take my time and have been using the heaviest weights I can keep proper form with. The only part that I've had problems with so far is the dumbbell pullovers- they hurt so bad/good lol.

I had forgot about deadlifts, and I agree with what you said about avoiding my back injury is only going to make it worst.

BTW, I do these to help prevent some back pain. It really works, and doesn't take long to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFhenYOwo3A

#4367762 - 12/23/09 12:12 PM Re: Working out to promote weight loss, how's this routine? [Re: Silock]
Garest Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
 Quote:
Day 2:
Bodyweight circuits

60 Jumping Jacks
20 Spiderman pushups
10 Alternating Lunges
20 Spiderman Climbs
60 seconds wall squat
60 seconds Plank
10 Burpees
50 High Knees

Rest 1 minute, do 3 sets

yo this is SICKK

#4368551 - 12/23/09 04:05 PM Re: Working out to promote weight loss, how's this routine? [Re: Garest]
Silock Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Yeah, it's WAY harder than it looks at first glance, especially by the time you get to the 3rd set.
#4373304 - 12/26/09 03:32 AM Re: Working out to promote weight loss, how's this routine? [Re: Silock]
DropNotch Offline
Post Master Sr

Drew- Finally got a chance to do that routine you posted above and holy crap it was killer. I was only able to complete two rounds of it with about a 3 minute break between lol. But man, that was tough. Especially the wall squat and plank, I thought I was going to puke on the second set. Seriously thanks for the info.
400whp

2013 Scion Fr-S
2005 Subaru WRX STI
2022 GMC Yukon Denali XL

#4373379 - 12/26/09 08:32 AM Re: Working out to promote weight loss, how's this routine? [Re: DropNotch]
Silock Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

NP. Sounds like you enjoyed it! \:\)
Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads