Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#5977596 - 12/06/11 01:18 PM Changing up routine: Necessary and how often?
HX_Guy Offline
Please blame any typos on my executive assistant
Post Master Supreme

I've now done 3 months of weight lifting, 3x per week and the same exercises on each Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

Should I change up my exercises now (or at a later time)? Does it help to change it up so the body doesn't get used to what you're doing and stop growing or is that a myth?

Example would be that I do decline bench on Monday, flat bench on Wednesday and incline bench on Friday. Should I change to say dumb declines or flys or some other exercises for the chest?
2022 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate

#5977845 - 12/06/11 02:11 PM Re: Changing up routine: Necessary and how often? [Re: HX_Guy]
mrnismo Offline
Post Master

Loc: PCB
Questions like this are the reason programs like Starting Strength exist -- so you don't have to play guesswork.

But, to try to answer your question -- your only goal should be to add weight to the core lifts. The best way to add weight to core lifts? Do them and don't ever stop doing them simply for 'muscle confusion' purposes.

#5977885 - 12/06/11 02:21 PM Re: Changing up routine: Necessary and how often? [Re: mrnismo]
Artvandelay
Unregistered

Why are you doing decline bench?

Why are you doing bench presses every other day?

What sort of gains have you made in your lifts over the past 3 months?

#5977992 - 12/06/11 02:51 PM Re: Changing up routine: Necessary and how often? [Re: ]
HX_Guy Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Artvandelay

Based on the suggestions by Silock and a website he recommended: http://suppversity.blogspot.com/2011/07/suppversity-emg-series-musculus.html

According to that, decline bench is the best thing you can do for your chest.

I've been doing 3 sets of decline Monday, 3 sets of flat on Wednesday, and 3 sets of incline on Friday.

Gains wise it hasn't been as good as other muscle groups but when I started I was doing 115lbs 8-5-3 (from what I remember) and now I'm doing 135lbs 10-10-9 (for decline and flat, incline I am doing 135lbs 10-8-6).

#5977994 - 12/06/11 02:52 PM Re: Changing up routine: Necessary and how often? [Re: ]
HX_Guy Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: OBGYN1
Yep. Read starting strength and fuxkarounditis

Those 2 will clear up a ton for you.

Is there a digital copy of these that you know of? I need to do a quick search.

#5978636 - 12/06/11 09:17 PM Re: Changing up routine: Necessary and how often? [Re: ]
Silock Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Jayhawk Country

Reading that it'll tell you that decline bench is essentially masturbation and waste of time.

Which is actually scientifically incorrect. It may not be the best for OVERALL development, but it's the best in terms of pec activation. I would never base a routine aroud it, but using it as an auxillary chest movement is totally fine. Jim Wendler recommends it as such.

#5978639 - 12/06/11 09:19 PM Re: Changing up routine: Necessary and how often? [Re: ]
HX_Guy Offline
Post Master Supreme

Well crap...so what about the link I posted? How can they contradict each other? Not just that, but is there really that much of a difference between flat and decline that it would make decline essentially "masturbation and a waste of time"?

I don't know, I guess I'm having a hard time buying the fact that changing the angle of the bench by 20 degrees or whatever would change an excellent workout to a completely useless one.

#5978646 - 12/06/11 09:22 PM Re: Changing up routine: Necessary and how often? [Re: HX_Guy]
Silock Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: HX_Guy
 Originally Posted By: Artvandelay

Based on the suggestions by Silock and a website he recommended: http://suppversity.blogspot.com/2011/07/suppversity-emg-series-musculus.html

According to that, decline bench is the best thing you can do for your chest.

I've been doing 3 sets of decline Monday, 3 sets of flat on Wednesday, and 3 sets of incline on Friday.

Gains wise it hasn't been as good as other muscle groups but when I started I was doing 115lbs 8-5-3 (from what I remember) and now I'm doing 135lbs 10-10-9 (for decline and flat, incline I am doing 135lbs 10-8-6).

See, this is why you need to get on a proven program. It's one thing to read the studies, but you aren't experienced enough to know precisely how they should be applied in a greater context. And that's not a knock on your intelligence or anything. It's just a matter of experience and exposure. We've all been where you're at at one point in time. The problem is that the experienced guys tell the inexperienced what the best way to do it is, but the noobs just don't want to listen, or want to jump the gun into doing it the way they want. It's a matter of knowing how to apply the knowledge that separates the experienced lifter from the time wasters.

Just do SS or something. Set it and forget it.

As long as you are continually adding to your lifts, whether reps or weight, there's no need to change it up.

#5978716 - 12/06/11 09:49 PM Re: Changing up routine: Necessary and how often? [Re: HX_Guy]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Well crap...so what about the link I posted? How can they contradict each other? Not just that, but is there really that much of a difference between flat and decline that it would make decline essentially "masturbation and a waste of time"?

I don't know, I guess I'm having a hard time buying the fact that changing the angle of the bench by 20 degrees or whatever would change an excellent workout to a completely useless one.

Well because one is merely measuring the load the chest is taking.
The other is trying to maximize functional strength. I.e. you don't use your chest without your deltoids and tris and even bi/etc. Why try to blast it? because you want big boos?

One is for someone trying to overcome a chest deficiency for strength(powerlifting) or size(body building).
However, who's to say you have a chest deficiency? Do you think you do?

Personally I find my arms limit most my stength, but I can tell my torso still gets rocked too. So I do the exercises that work them all in the same proportions I plan to use them. I'm not at the point of my strength where I need to isolate specific muscles or parts of muscles(sternal/clavical pec).
I suspect you're not either.

But to each their own.

#5978740 - 12/06/11 09:58 PM Re: Changing up routine: Necessary and how often? [Re: ]
HX_Guy Offline
Post Master Supreme

Just order it from Amazon and have a hard copy in your hands by Thursday. You won't regret it.

Are you talking about this book? http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strength-...23228329&sr=8-2

And why is the 3rd edition $29.99 while the older 2nd edition is $99+ for the used one?
http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strength-...23228329&sr=8-1

#5978833 - 12/06/11 10:39 PM Re: Changing up routine: Necessary and how often? [Re: ]
Silock Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Silock

Reading that it'll tell you that decline bench is essentially masturbation and waste of time.

Which is actually scientifically incorrect. It may not be the best for OVERALL development, but it's the best in terms of pec activation. I would never base a routine aroud it, but using it as an auxillary chest movement is totally fine. Jim Wendler recommends it as such.
I'll tell you the reason I subscribe to it, not backed by anything more than my perspective....because it is the shortest range of motion of the 3 and weighted dips seems to achieve the same action yet a longer range of motion.

That could also be an individual thing. Personally, I do dips on the day I do military press, because I get more shoulder work out of it than chest.

The great news is that there's room for all of the exercises! You don't have to pick just one. The EMG data doesn't lie, though.

#5979597 - 12/07/11 10:25 AM Re: Changing up routine: Necessary and how often? [Re: Silock]
Artvandelay
Unregistered

Quote:
See, this is why you need to get on a proven program
Bingo.

#5979682 - 12/07/11 10:48 AM Re: Changing up routine: Necessary and how often? [Re: ]
HX_Guy Offline
Post Master Supreme

Just order it from Amazon and have a hard copy in your hands by Thursday. You won't regret it.

Are you talking about this book? http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strength-...23228329&sr=8-2

And why is the 3rd edition $29.99 while the older 2nd edition is $99+ for the used one?
http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strength-...23228329&sr=8-1
Somethings wrong with that guys pricing....I bough the 3rd addition for 30 bucks.

Ordered. Now I'll have something to read on my flight over to Europe. \:\)

#5980341 - 12/07/11 02:11 PM Re: Changing up routine: Necessary and how often? [Re: HX_Guy]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canadistan
you're a newb stop over thinking and worrying. you dont need to change up the program right now unless its complete shit.

#5982389 - 12/08/11 11:00 AM Re: Changing up routine: Necessary and how often? [Re: ]
HX_Guy Offline
Post Master Supreme

I should be getting the Starting Strength book from Amazon today and I have an upcoming trip overseas where I can take some time to read it. I'll actually be away from the gym for a couple weeks (which brings up another subject of what are good exercises to do with no gym equipment...but I think that's a whole other thread) but when I come back, it'll be a perfect time to modify anything I need and follow the advice of Starting Strength.

#5982955 - 12/08/11 01:39 PM Re: Changing up routine: Necessary and how often? [Re: ]
HX_Guy Offline
Post Master Supreme

Wow you do quite a few less reps than I do. For squats as an example, I do 5x12. For bench press, I do 3x10 (or try to).

Is the low amount of reps/sets something that SS teaches?

#5983004 - 12/08/11 01:55 PM Re: Changing up routine: Necessary and how often? [Re: HX_Guy]
Artvandelay
Unregistered

Wow you do quite a few less reps than I do. For squats as an example, I do 5x12. For bench press, I do 3x10 (or try to).

Wait until you read the book, I guess. There are several other recent threads in this forum with other people getting on-board. Dirtydrifta for one.

5x12 squat? That sounds like a whole lot of waste to me, if you can do 12 reps, you're not using enough weight or your form is shit.

What you want with regards to lifting is steady progress. You want to be steadily adding weight to your lifts without sacrificing form.

Blackghost's gains are excellent and as long as he warms up and eats well and continues on the program he will continue to gain...Not forever, obviously.

if you're just doing tons of high reps with light weight you're really just doing cardio and you're not building strength.

#5983190 - 12/08/11 02:54 PM Re: Changing up routine: Necessary and how often? [Re: ]
Artvandelay
Unregistered

No pain no gain

Eventually you want to make sure you have a spotter so you can really make the most of it and strive for those last reps once the weight gets way past your comfort zone. Those reps are where you make your gains.

good job

#5983191 - 12/08/11 02:54 PM Re: Changing up routine: Necessary and how often? [Re: ]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: BlackGhostRT
The SS sessions shouldn't take to long to complete at the gym. I do the Monday, Wednesday and Friday routine.

It revolves around squats, deadlifts, powercleans(very technical) and standing press and bench press. Very simple.

Monday

squats 3x5
benchpress 3x5
deadlifts 1x5

Wednesday

squats 3x5
standing press 3x5
power cleans 5x3

Friday

squats 3x5
benchpress 3x5
deadlifts 1x5
(any other accompanying exercises if you REALLY feel the need too)

I have never really lifted (heavy) in my life and I'm getting a tad older now and I have had a lot of injuries with anything from a broken wrists, ankle and collarbone to dislocated shoulder and I have had no issues.

I don't know if my gains are impressive after ~2 months or so just because I'm new but I'm sure I'm on the right path.

before/currently

squats 155/210

deadlifts 155/235

benchpress 135/160

standing press 85/105

power clean 85/115 (Still trying to focus more on proper technique then adding more weight)

Similar progress. Though I had no idea what I could truly squat or DL before I started. Only Bench had I hit a 5rm before and I've already passed that with strength to spare.

My Results(all 3x5):(funny numbers because metric system is dumb)
Squat: 132-220 (prior est 5rm, 154)
Bench: 121-170.5 (prior 5rm(1set), 158.4
DL: 165-258.5 (prior est 5rm, 190)
Press: 60.5-99 (prior est 5rm, 70)
Row(can't do cleans at my shit gym): 77-126.5

I'm 7 weeks in. I had been lifting before had for about 3 months. Bench was the only "big lift" I was doing for those 3 months. As you can see I increased my bench in 7 weeks.

I'm now at the point that every workout I'm hitting new PR for everything. I gained most my weight prior to S.S., but my shape has changed for sure. It definitely has given me more definition and a muscular shape.
My Torso and upper thighs have grown, meaning my pants don't fit as well. I've actually probably reduced my V shape, but I'm clearly more muscular everywhere.

About the only draw-back is my lower back gets tight when I run the day after Deadlifts. It's nothing more than the muscles aching, but it makes it so I have to stop once a mile and stretch it loose.

#5984657 - 12/09/11 12:22 PM Re: Changing up routine: Necessary and how often? [Re: HX_Guy]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canadistan

for fucks sake

#5984768 - 12/09/11 01:08 PM Re: Changing up routine: Necessary and how often? [Re: Euphoricuck]
HX_Guy Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Euphoric
for fucks sake

Per Silock...

Quote:
Legs X 5 sets
Back X 4 sets
Chest X 3 sets
Shoulders X 2 sets
Biceps X 2 set
Tricep X 2 set

That should be plenty of work. Since you're hitting them more frequently, you don't need quite as many sets per session. I assume legs X 5 so that you can do both squats and deadlifts. A couple of exercises for back, row and chins. Chest do two sets of flat or decline bench and then throw in a set of incline. Shoulder do a set of military press and then a set of lateral raises. Then whatever floats your boat for the rest.

As far as what exercises are the best, check out this series:
http://suppversity.blogspot.com/2011/07/suppversity-emg-series-musculus.html

#5984833 - 12/09/11 01:36 PM Re: Changing up routine: Necessary and how often? [Re: HX_Guy]
Silock Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

I only posted that as a suggestion because you didn't want to do Starting Strength (or more specifically squats).

I don't think that what I suggested is optimal at all. You'd do better on a real program. But it's important that you do SOMETHING, and if a non-optimized routine is going to get you into a gym doing something, then so be it.

#5984876 - 12/09/11 01:50 PM Re: Changing up routine: Necessary and how often? [Re: Silock]
HX_Guy Offline
Post Master Supreme

No harm done...I've already made a lot of gains in my opinion on the the routine I've been on. I'll start doing the Starting Strength after the New Year.

#5987012 - 12/10/11 07:23 PM Re: Changing up routine: Necessary and how often? [Re: ]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: dirtyS13drifta
The SS sessions shouldn't take to long to complete at the gym. I do the Monday, Wednesday and Friday routine.

It revolves around squats, deadlifts, powercleans(very technical) and standing press and bench press. Very simple.

Monday

squats 3x5
benchpress 3x5
deadlifts 1x5

Wednesday

squats 3x5
standing press 3x5
power cleans 5x3

Friday

squats 3x5
benchpress 3x5
deadlifts 1x5
(any other accompanying exercises if you REALLY feel the need too)

I have never really lifted (heavy) in my life and I'm getting a tad older now and I have had a lot of injuries with anything from a broken wrists, ankle and collarbone to dislocated shoulder and I have had no issues.

I don't know if my gains are impressive after ~2 months or so just because I'm new but I'm sure I'm on the right path.

before/currently

squats 155/210

deadlifts 155/235

benchpress 135/160

standing press 85/105

power clean 85/115 (Still trying to focus more on proper technique then adding more weight)

Similar progress. Though I had no idea what I could truly squat or DL before I started. Only Bench had I hit a 5rm before and I've already passed that with strength to spare.

My Results(all 3x5):(funny numbers because metric system is dumb)
Squat: 132-220 (prior est 5rm, 154)
Bench: 121-170.5 (prior 5rm(1set), 158.4
DL: 165-258.5 (prior est 5rm, 190)
Press: 60.5-99 (prior est 5rm, 70)
Row(can't do cleans at my shit gym): 77-126.5

I'm 7 weeks in. I had been lifting before had for about 3 months. Bench was the only "big lift" I was doing for those 3 months. As you can see I increased my bench in 7 weeks.

I'm now at the point that every workout I'm hitting new PR for everything. I gained most my weight prior to S.S., but my shape has changed for sure. It definitely has given me more definition and a muscular shape.
My Torso and upper thighs have grown, meaning my pants don't fit as well. I've actually probably reduced my V shape, but I'm clearly more muscular everywhere.

About the only draw-back is my lower back gets tight when I run the day after Deadlifts. It's nothing more than the muscles aching, but it makes it so I have to stop once a mile and stretch it loose.

Nice gains on the bench. I had reset on that lift due to me not having proper form as I wasn't able to add anymore weight after ~165lbs. It would be nice if I could do 225lbs(bench) 315 (DL) 315 (Squats) by summer but that will take A LOT of work and clean eating and most importantly dedication, no pain no gain.

Gains are really only 11lbs so far from prior pr. I started quite low. I remember worrying I'd lose strength starting so much lower than what I was capable of. The first 2 weeks I really thought I was wasting time. Obviously not. HX guy, note this. Start light and you'll be impressed how long you'll keep increasing. I did focus on perfecting my form though. I'll be loading up 176 tomorrow. Should be quite doable, i'd say 13 of my 15 reps last time were still perfect(middle reps on 2,3rd sets I tend to get a lil lazy). The last 3 weeks bench hasn't gotten any harder, it just keeps being about a 80% effort. Great adaptation there. If I were to guess? I'd say 185 might become a struggle, but who knows.

After this week I'll have to hold still on my weights for a bit. I've got 3 weeks of backpacking/hiking with only once change to hit the gym from Christmas to Mid-January.

#5991280 - 12/12/11 09:17 PM Re: Changing up routine: Necessary and how often? [Re: ]
Back 5 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: CA
HX_Guy is going way overboard on this. Chillax dude and just lift some weights. If you can get on a good lifting program, with dedicated rest periods, for a year...come back when you need to start refining specific body parts.

Like Drew basically said...doing something at this point is better than naught. You aren't an elite athlete trying to gain that 1% strength difference for a competitive edge. Just go to the gym and lift.

#5991384 - 12/12/11 10:15 PM Re: Changing up routine: Necessary and how often? [Re: Back 5]
HX_Guy Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Back 5
HX_Guy is going way overboard on this. Chillax dude and just lift some weights. If you can get on a good lifting program, with dedicated rest periods, for a year...come back when you need to start refining specific body parts.

Like Drew basically said...doing something at this point is better than naught. You aren't an elite athlete trying to gain that 1% strength difference for a competitive edge. Just go to the gym and lift.

That's kind of how I looked at this whole thing but then you have guys like Euphoric coming in here with "For fucks sake " like what I'm doing is actually worse than if I wasn't doing anything at all.

#5991417 - 12/12/11 10:26 PM Re: Changing up routine: Necessary and how often? [Re: HX_Guy]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
You should spend that time in Transylvania running...lots and lots of running.

#5991497 - 12/12/11 11:04 PM Re: Changing up routine: Necessary and how often? [Re: HX_Guy]
Silock Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

That's kind of how I looked at this whole thing but then you have guys like Euphoric coming in here with "For fucks sake " like what I'm doing is actually worse than if I wasn't doing anything at all.

No, but maximizing your time in the gym is a good thing, and I'm still not sure why you refuse to do it. Whatevs, though.

#5991943 - 12/13/11 09:32 AM Re: Changing up routine: Necessary and how often? [Re: Silock]
Artvandelay
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Silock

No, but maximizing your time in the gym is a good thing, and I'm still not sure why you refuse to do it. Whatevs, though.
You're not used to it yet? This is the main reason newer people think I'm a dick. Usually this is the point where I'd say they're an idiot and blah blah

The information is out there, a couple other members have been consistently posting about switching to a 5x5 and starting strength. HX_guy is just one of those dudes who is reluctant to listen, for whatever reason, and will spend month after month doing countless reps and never gaining any strength or muscle. I mean, better than nothing but far from the "right way" of doing it.

If you're a noob - 5x5/starting strength + diet, multivitamin and protein powder, tons of water. Add 2-3 days of decent cardio. DONE.

#5991983 - 12/13/11 09:45 AM Re: Changing up routine: Necessary and how often? [Re: ]
HX_Guy Offline
Post Master Supreme

I've said multiple times lately that I'll be starting SS after my two week break (basically after New Years). I just received the book, I'll be reading it all by then and starting the program. Like I said, I thought I was on a program. Hell I've been doing a crapload of reps where I could apparently be doing less (with more weight of course)...you don't think I'd rather do that? Doing squats 5 sets 12 reps gets pretty tiring. \:D

#5991996 - 12/13/11 09:52 AM Re: Changing up routine: Necessary and how often? [Re: HX_Guy]
Artvandelay
Unregistered

Good. Just start light and stick to it. the only thing you should add is cardio. Don't add any other lifts.
#5992721 - 12/13/11 01:14 PM Re: Changing up routine: Necessary and how often? [Re: ]
Silock Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Yeah, the main thing with any of these programs is that you DO NOT FUCK WITH THEM. Just do them as they are recommended until you've been lifting for years and have enough experience to know HOW to fuck with them to maximize your goals. You'll probably be nearing your 40s before that happens.
#5992822 - 12/13/11 01:43 PM Re: Changing up routine: Necessary and how often? [Re: HX_Guy]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Like I said, I thought I was on a program. Hell I've been doing a crapload of reps where I could apparently be doing less (with more weight of course)...you don't think I'd rather do that? Doing squats 5 sets 12 reps gets pretty tiring. \:D

If you're on a program why are you so consistantly asking about 4x3 vs 3x4 or when to change your weight, or when to change your routine?
A program spells out all that.

Any program you'll be on will be pretty tiring. I'm fucking beat from from my workout 2 days ago. But I hit all new PRs(and thus hit my christmas goals) on Monday on the big 3 exercises.

I thought I could work smarter, but after doing SS(well a variant, no cleans) I'm now convinced. One of the smartest things you can do is those 3-5 lifts, with a lot of weight, and not try to spot train smaller muscles. Unless you're a body builder os power-lifter, you don't need to isolate single muscles.
The small consistant increases really drive some adaption in your body.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads