Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#10497421 - 10/18/23 09:32 PM Residential Hot Water Heater
civic13 Offline
Post Master

Loc: You Know
Hi everyone,

Since moving into my house 12 years ago, the wife and I have been renting the hot water heater (currently paying $23.86/month). From doing some research most units last about 10 years so ours is due to be replaced.

We're thinking of cancelling our rental contract and buying one from like HD/Lowes/etc as I think it's more cost effective. But the wife says "what if it needs service or breaks down, we can call the rental company to come fix. It saves us the hassle of looking for one ourselves." Is she right?

Has anyone cancelled/bought out their water heater from a rental company?

Please educate me \:\)

tia

#10497487 - 10/19/23 08:21 AM Re: Residential Hot Water Heater [Re: civic13]
4Three Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Markham, ON, Canada
We had our for about 18 years. Probably really inefficient by the end, and there were some sketchy bubbles of rust forming on the outside of the tank that made me really uncomfortable about the whole failing just exploding and leaving gallons of water in the basement.

I consulted about getting a new rental or a new tankless rental. Then I contacted some Chinese installer to buy a tankless. Worked out to be way cheaper. If I recall, the first 8-10 years of a contract, the rental unit barely had 50% of it's value paid off. That's a long time to be locked in.

#10497488 - 10/19/23 08:22 AM Re: Residential Hot Water Heater [Re: civic13]
Simon_the_Pieman Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: The A
this was something i tried to do a few years ago. i called to buy out and the price they gave me was stupid high, like more than a new one. so im still on monthly with enercare.

if their buyout is cheap i'd say do it. i only needed service once since i've been here and i think the unit is about 12 years old.

#10497792 - 10/19/23 04:39 PM Re: Residential Hot Water Heater [Re: Simon_the_Pieman]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

Buy a new tank, they are cheap and have it installed/or DIY, it's pretty straight forward. Renting these is an absolute rip off, they hardly ever need any servicing if ever...FYI this scam is only ongoing in Ontario where financing mechanical systems is common place. /rant
#10497881 - 10/20/23 06:40 AM Re: Residential Hot Water Heater [Re: Risky Business]
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto, ON
That ... whatever rod that get shoved in from the top, to draw all the mineral deposits etc is something that likely needs servicing?

I've never heard anyone do it, but have seen a bunch of (US) Insta/TikTok vids ...

When I was in Markham, holy fuck is that water hard.... soap barely lathers, and the master shower drain got so caked with calcium/lime/etc, it started to impact the drainage...

We now run a tankless ...

#10498189 - 10/20/23 01:45 PM Re: Residential Hot Water Heater [Re: furball]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto,Ontario
tankless is my next move once this rental contract is out.

#10499540 - 10/24/23 09:54 AM Re: Residential Hot Water Heater [Re: Risky Business]
Screamin Type ARGH! Online   bluecheckmark
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T.O. - Canaduh
 Originally Posted By: Risky Business
Buy a new tank, they are cheap and have it installed/or DIY, it's pretty straight forward. Renting these is an absolute rip off, they hardly ever need any servicing if ever...FYI this scam is only ongoing in Ontario where financing mechanical systems is common place. /rant

thisssssss

new rental fees are an insane ripoff even for avg size tanks. don't do it.

just get a half decent tank, power vent costs just a bit more but worth it (if not needed, depending).

"Ban low performance drivers, not high performance cars"

#10500343 - 10/25/23 04:47 PM Re: Residential Hot Water Heater [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
civic13 Offline
Post Master

Thanks guys for your feedback.

Have any of you cancelled or bought out your rental water heater? Been reading it's sometimes a nightmare with certain companies.

#10500884 - 10/26/23 07:29 PM Re: Residential Hot Water Heater [Re: civic13]
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

You can buy out but many co's will charge you a fee for that, depends. Suggest just cancel (30 day notice) but you can buy and book your new tank from whatever company in that time. May as well get new, it will last longer and our water is hard as hell.

I suggest reputible independent companies vs. big box like home depot...they can be a ripoff. But see if any sales on units, and how much install is. They also usually have generic brands/models only. Highlife heating and AC is good in Markham. But there are tons around. Get powervent...50gal prob fine.

Tankless is nice but our ground water is cold. So u get endless but sometimes takes awhile to get hot water upper floors, esp big homes. Buy one with a buffer tank so it had a small chunk of pre heated hot water to send.

Re. Returnin the old tank...
-call current rental co, tell them you're done and give u pickup number (like an RMA#) code
-usually it is good for 30 days or some crap
-buy new tank from new co, book install within 30 days
-new co completes install, puts your old tank outside in garage or on/near driveway or side of home depending
-the new co. Usually books the pickup of your old tank for u, sometimes u do yourself. So then once that is done, the pickup carrier will book an appointment with you, and come pickup the old tank from garage/outside.
-maybe small fee for that nowadays but it is so easy and hands off for u. Forget trying return yerself. Companies have code access to get them returned quick and easy

I believe a 50gal PV unit intalled should run u 1300 to 1800 bucks, depending.
-

#10505045 - 11/06/23 07:01 AM Re: Residential Hot Water Heater [Re: civic13]
loudsubz Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ontario, Canada
 Originally Posted By: civic13
Thanks guys for your feedback.

Have any of you cancelled or bought out your rental water heater? Been reading it's sometimes a nightmare with certain companies.

I did this in 2020 when I wanted to change out my tank. At the time our tank was only 9 years old. When I called they said I still had $700+ left to buy out the tank. They did try to persuade me to keep going AND they even offered a small fee per month for preventative maintenance on my new purchased tank but it was still like $15 a month for added peace of mind??

Anyways I said no thank you, I paid over the phone and they said I could do whatever I wanted with the tank. I bought a new one from Lowes, had my buddy do the gas (Licensed) and all in I think I spent just over $1400, this also included switching from direct vent to power venting out of the side of my house.

With traditional tanks youa re supposed to drain a couple gallons of water every year to get any sediment out of the bottom of the tank and check the anode but many don't and the tanks still end up lasting 10+ years.

Break it down and the math doesn't lie.

#10506766 - 11/09/23 06:35 AM Re: Residential Hot Water Heater [Re: loudsubz]
c2k Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Wiesloch-Walldorf, Germany
My tank is 11 years old and I own it outright. Should I be looking into a tank replacement?

#10506957 - 11/09/23 03:34 PM Re: Residential Hot Water Heater [Re: c2k]
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Do it at 15yrs

20 maxxxxxxx

#10507641 - 11/11/23 10:52 PM Re: Residential Hot Water Heater [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
civic13 Offline
Post Master

Thanks @screamin and @loudsubz.

Did a quick google for Highlife heating and AC and they don't seem like a good company with a lot of complaints

I have an HVAC guy who also does water heaters but it seems like he only installs Rheem (IG pics). Are they good? What about A.O. Smith?

Looking at HD/Lowes warranty for most are like 6 years. Thought they were like 10???

Any other recommendations for tanks or companies?

#10508060 - 11/13/23 08:09 AM Re: Residential Hot Water Heater [Re: civic13]
loudsubz Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ontario, Canada
 Originally Posted By: civic13
Thanks @screamin and @loudsubz.

Did a quick google for Highlife heating and AC and they don't seem like a good company with a lot of complaints

I have an HVAC guy who also does water heaters but it seems like he only installs Rheem (IG pics). Are they good? What about A.O. Smith?

Looking at HD/Lowes warranty for most are like 6 years. Thought they were like 10???

Any other recommendations for tanks or companies?

I've heard many says get the tanks from a supply house as they are a little better constructed, but that may require you to buy through someone who has an account there.

Otherwise you can get some tanks with longer warranties on them but they are a bit more $$ up to you for peace of mind

Everyone also seems to have a preference for tanks. I bought one based on the best customer service. Before I purchased my AO smith I emailed the customer service and asked a bunch of question as a homeowner and how easy it was to setup the warranty etc. You may find the opposite or find another company you like.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads