Page 71 of 148 « First<6970717273>Last »
Topic Options
#7384790 - 11/10/13 10:27 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: RI
That brisket sammich had to be one of the most epic things you've had in awhile. \:\)

still have an EM1--go figure

#7384954 - 11/11/13 07:45 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Colorado
Awesome writeup and congratulations on the strong finish!

Did this race change your game plan for Quad Dipsea? Running a 2:25 lap followed by a 3:12 lap = recipe for a death march at something with as much climbing as your next race \:\)

And that guy you met; are you sure his name wasn't Eric Senseman from Madison, WI? I know he's around that age and road tripping around the country. He's also fast as hell.

Oh, and I won't be worried at all about your guy at JFK - he'll be so far ahead of me after 2 miles it'll be "out of sight, out of mind" the rest of the day

#7385108 - 11/11/13 09:59 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: 2000SiRacer]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
Nah, his name was Zack something. Once they post the results I'll tell you his last name. I actually never even got a chance to see who won it.

No change of race plan for Dipsea. It wasn't the big climbs that I had trouble with later in the race (I'm a real strong power hiker and I can hike stuff just as fast as I can run it) and Dipsea is mostly 4 big climbs and descents on each lap, none of those constant rollers and super technical terrain that beat my legs up on Saturday.

That's the hope anyways.

#7385331 - 11/11/13 11:34 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Ampsman in Extremis Offline
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Loc: San Jose, Ca, USA
I'm thinking about doing a double dipsea on saturday, why dont you cruise your ass up here.

Paki: 3:36

#7385397 - 11/11/13 12:07 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

That would be a great idea....too bad I have to go to my grandmas memorial. \:\(

I'm actually kind of amazed at how good my legs are feeling right now. I'm pretty much ready to go for a run right now. Probably wait till tomorrow though.

#7385460 - 11/11/13 12:36 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: The OC
Congrats Chris!! Great write-up.

Managed to squeeze out a 16 mile run on Friday - my longest to date - in 2:45. Surprisingly the recovery has been pretty good each week. Hoping things continue in a positive direction.
89 Camaro - Sold
CSI. What's your diversion?

#7385525 - 11/11/13 01:11 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Mrs. Ironmom
That would be a great idea....too bad I have to go to my grandmas memorial. \:\(

I'm actually kind of amazed at how good my legs are feeling right now. I'm pretty much ready to go for a run right now. Probably wait till tomorrow though.

sorry man. \:\(

#7385683 - 11/11/13 02:27 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Loc: Gehenna
Great job Ironmom! You beat my 50k time by an hour and a half, haha!

I decided I want to try to hit 1200 miles this year, I think I'm around 1070 right now, so should have no problems with that.

I actually want to try to train for a half Ironman in April. Though I've never biked/swam for exercise, nor do I even own a bike. So, yeah, that's probably insane but it is something to do! Lol.

#7385723 - 11/11/13 03:10 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Lividentity]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

At over 2000 for the WS lottery.

#7385795 - 11/11/13 03:44 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: ampsman
At over 2000 for the WS lottery.

Read. My. Mind.

Trying to think positive thoughts. I've gotten really excited about WS this week!

Can't wait for your joint Quad Dipsea report! You two should take a questionable photo together at the finish line

#7386129 - 11/11/13 06:30 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: 2000SiRacer]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: 2000SiRacer

Can't wait for your joint Quad Dipsea report! You two should take a questionable photo together at the finish line

Hopefully it wont be of the two of us sprawled out on the trail due to his lungs giving out and my legs collapsing.

Lividentity: Go for it man. The bike training to survive a half is easily doable, and as long as you can develop a decent swim technique that allows you to cover the distance comfortably, you'll have no problem doing it.

#7387172 - 11/12/13 11:11 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

So they finally posted results:

I was 31st out of 79 finishers.

Now, if the ultra world would get in line with the rest of the racing world, and they had a 35-39 age group instead of 30-39, I was 3rd in my AG. \:\)

Oh, and going back and looking at my splits, I was off on my time for the first loop, it was actually 2:39 so my second loop was only 20 minutes slower than the first, which isn't too bad for how I was feeling.

#7387415 - 11/12/13 12:06 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Hopefully it wont be of the two of us sprawled out on the trail due to his lungs giving out and my legs collapsing.

Lividentity: Go for it man. The bike training to survive a half is easily doable, and as long as you can develop a decent swim technique that allows you to cover the distance comfortably, you'll have no problem doing it.

They'll find us spooning on the side of the trail.

I got into a 30k on saturday that goes on part of the dipsea trail, pumped!

#7387493 - 11/12/13 12:41 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

Wow...I just took a look at the results and that was a very impressive field for an "off season" 50K in Nevada! I wonder why this race doesn't get more attention.

Congrats on top-half and not positive splitting quite as badly as you thought

In JFK/Eric related news: I'm sick. And may be dying (I tend to get dramatic about any slight to my health ). I first started feeling the scratchy throat a full 2 weeks ago Monday (after 9 hours of running that weekend, possibly related?) and quickly jumped on the Vitamin C/zinc train. I thought I had it licked as it never got worse but it really never got better either. I'd get 8.5 hours of sleep and still wake up fatigued, which is unusual. Fast forward to last night and I started going downhill - today I've got it all, very sore throat, headache and lots of aching in my neck (specifically wear it meets the back of my head, hurts when I turn in either direction). I just generally feel like shit at the moment.

Roughly 11 days to JFK so I've got time to heal. That's the good news. Bad news is that a few people I know here came down with something similar last month and it was a virus that took them out for 2-4 weeks. They sounded worse than I am so I hope this is unrelated.

#7387661 - 11/12/13 02:04 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

I got into a 30k on saturday that goes on part of the dipsea trail, pumped!

Cheater!

#7387665 - 11/12/13 02:05 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: 2000SiRacer]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Wow...I just took a look at the results and that was a very impressive field for an "off season" 50K in Nevada! I wonder why this race doesn't get more attention.

Congrats on top-half and not positive splitting quite as badly as you thought

In JFK/Eric related news: I'm sick. And may be dying (I tend to get dramatic about any slight to my health ). I first started feeling the scratchy throat a full 2 weeks ago Monday (after 9 hours of running that weekend, possibly related?) and quickly jumped on the Vitamin C/zinc train. I thought I had it licked as it never got worse but it really never got better either. I'd get 8.5 hours of sleep and still wake up fatigued, which is unusual. Fast forward to last night and I started going downhill - today I've got it all, very sore throat, headache and lots of aching in my neck (specifically wear it meets the back of my head, hurts when I turn in either direction). I just generally feel like shit at the moment.

Roughly 11 days to JFK so I've got time to heal. That's the good news. Bad news is that a few people I know here came down with something similar last month and it was a virus that took them out for 2-4 weeks. They sounded worse than I am so I hope this is unrelated.

Repeat after me: It's all in your head. It's all in your head.

\:D

#7387690 - 11/12/13 02:20 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

You'll turn me into a hypochondriac man

I keep telling myself I just need some solid rest and plenty of fluids and I'll be as fit as a fiddle in no time. I will be most bummed if this impacts JFK in a big way \:\(

#7387722 - 11/12/13 02:28 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

I'm planning on it for sure. I'm more worried about affording a bike and the race itself ($250!) than the training for it, lol.

I want to get a tri bike and just hoping to get one off craigslist for 500-1000 and hope it is good enough, haha.

Good luck witht he Quad Dipsea guys! We're all going to have to pick an ultra to all do together in 2015, as I think we all have a good amount of plans for 2014 already.

#7387812 - 11/12/13 03:01 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: 2000SiRacer]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

And in other ultra news, have you guys been following the Leadville controversy?

First, Hard Rock calls them out like this on their qualifying page:

Quote:
A note about the 2013 Leadville 100: The Leadville 100 includes many of the features that are important for a HR qualifier: high altitude, long climbs, potential for mountain weather, and more. However, the 2013 Leadville 100 ignored other traits of importance to the HR: environmental responsibility, support of the hosting community, and having a positive impact on the health of our sport. Because of timing, the 2013 LT100 will still be accepted as a qualifier for the 2014 HR. LT100 finishes will not be accepted as qualifiers for the 2015 HRH and beyond.

And that really gets people talking about what a shit show Leadville has become, particularly this past year. Eventually Leadville says this:

Quote:
The Leadville Race Series has implemented many changes and adjustments to the Leadville Trail 100 Run with the goal of further improving this historic event.

To our valued Athletes, Crewmembers and Spectators,

Since the launch of the legendary “Race Across the Sky,” we have always upheld a commitment to improve our quality of execution and the experiences we deliver to you. 2014 will be no exception. Since August, we have implemented many changes and adjustments to the Leadville Trail 100 Run with the goal of further improving this historic event, while striving to serve the ever-growing demand of athletes and spectators alike. We truly are blessed to have the opportunity to serve so many after so many years.

With respect to growth, our number one priority is to address the dramatically increased participant numbers we experienced in 2013. In response, participant numbers will be reduced in 2014. We expect this change will significantly reduce the impact upon the course and aid station locations, while allowing for improved crew access. In addition, professional parking and crowd control crews are scheduled to work the sections of trail with the highest traffic.

With approval from the US Forest Service, the Winfield aid station area will see a new look in 2014. The proposed changes will make better use of the open land around Winfield and improve the flow of athletes and crews. Please note that only vehicles with ‘LT100 CREW’ tags will be allowed above the Sheephead gulch trailhead. ALL other spectators will be required to park below Sheephead gulch.

While Twin Lakes will continue to require all crews and spectators to park outside the city limits, bus and shuttle service will increase significantly in 2014. With this, we expect improved travel times for crews and spectators from their vehicles to the course.

With increased event demand also comes more refuse. With this in mind, plans have been made for an increase in trash receptacles at key points on course. Moreover, 2014 will see increased LT100 Run staff and volunteers assigned to remove all trash and debris from the course immediately following the event.

Above all, the Leadville Trail 100 Run is committed to contribute positively to the future of Ultra running. While we aim to extend the historic tradition of the event, it is paramount that we implement these adjustments to maintain a superior athlete experience. Looking ahead, updates pertaining to the 2014 Leadville Trail 100 Run will be provided on our Facebook page and the Leadville Race Series website.

As always, we are interested in your feedback and questions. We look forward to serving you, once again, on August 16, 2014, and wish you a safe, healthy and happy holiday season and New Year.

Best regards,
Josh Colley and the LT100 Run Staff

Which I applaud, sort of, but I'm frustrated that even now they're spinning it as "hey, we're going to continue to improve" instead of "hey, we done fucked up and here's what we're doing about it".

The debate rages on and Run100s throws its hat into the ring with:

Quote:
11/11/13: Sorry, but I'm removing the Leadville 100 from my web site. They're no longer a part of the sport of ultrarunning, but simply a business venture.

OH SNAP \:o

I generally don't go in for gossip and drama but this has me as giddy as a school girl. Cap the race at 500 (two-time DNFers get first crack at entrance, obviously) and better control traffic and shuttles, please

#7389763 - 11/13/13 01:22 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: 2000SiRacer]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Question for y'all. Thinking back to your first marathon, do you recommend training past 20 miles? Or just build up to 20 a few weeks prior?

I think I'm more worried about the mental block that comes with running the last leg. Here are two different approaches that interest me:
http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51138/Marathon-Novice-2-Training-Program
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/130.shtml

Edited by Design (11/13/13 01:25 PM)
89 Camaro - Sold

#7389797 - 11/13/13 01:37 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Design]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

If you can do 20, without putting too much stress on your body opr risking injury, I definitely think you should do it. The marathon starts at mile 20 so you want your body to be trained enough so that you still have something left for that last 10k.

#7389818 - 11/13/13 01:48 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

I'm pretty confident I can do 20. I think my question is more about training beyond that. Worth the risk in everyone's opinion?

EDIT - reread your post and I think I understand. Do it if the body isn't complaining too much, yes?

Edited by Design (11/13/13 01:50 PM)
89 Camaro - Sold

#7389846 - 11/13/13 02:02 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Design]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Yep. Anything over 20 will just be gravy and more of a mental help than anything.

I was able to get a 6 mild run in this morning and felt pretty good. Left achilliies is still sore, but that was about it. Oh, and I forgot about my big toenails. they're still sore as hell, and I know there's fluid under them, so they're definitely on their way out. \:D

#7389937 - 11/13/13 02:49 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

Oh, and I forgot about my big toenails. they're still sore as hell, and I know there's fluid under them, so they're definitely on their way out. \:D

You could at least pretend you're upset about losing some toe nails; I can tell you're tickled pink

#7389952 - 11/13/13 02:55 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: 2000SiRacer]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

lol, I just love the extraction process. \:D

#7390053 - 11/13/13 03:44 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Design]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Originally Posted By: Design
Question for y'all. Thinking back to your first marathon, do you recommend training past 20 miles? Or just build up to 20 a few weeks prior?

I think I'm more worried about the mental block that comes with running the last leg. Here are two different approaches that interest me:
http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51138/Marathon-Novice-2-Training-Program
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/130.shtml

The Hal Higdon training plan is the exact plan I used. Recommended to me here by Mrs. Ironmom. Now I ended up skipping 1 full week of the second half of it (after the half-marathon) because that's the way it lined up with my races. I also missed a few of the long runs (go to wedding, vacation, etc). However, I still did it and finished my marathon in 4:45. Now depending on what you're hoping to do that may or may not sound great, lol. I was hoping for 5 hours and did it, so I'm real happy about it, I'm not a fast runner.

I'd definitely say that it is a good plan, having done it. I like to just go out and run, I don't worry about speed work, fartleks, intervals, etc. I just run, though I'm slowly changing that considering I hvae more of a base built up now.

Last night I did a 2.5 mile run in 20 minutes, felt freaking awesome! Lol.

#7390192 - 11/13/13 05:19 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Lividentity]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Thanks man. Yeah I just want to finish in one piece.

So far the only complaints from my body are non-painful creaks and cracks in the knees. Been working in more leg lifts/curls to help compensate.

Any other suggestions appreciated.
89 Camaro - Sold

#7390231 - 11/13/13 05:49 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

lol, I just love the extraction process. \:D

I'd call you gross, but... *fist bump*

So. Much. Fun.

#7390236 - 11/13/13 05:52 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Design]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Design
Thanks man. Yeah I just want to finish in one piece.

Don't think too much about it and you'll be fine! I think some folks just pysch themselves out like "OMG, I'm at mile 20! I've never run this far! Everyone says this is the hard part and they hit the wall!!"

My first big race was roughly twice the distance of my longest run to date. And the course conditions were terrible. Sure, I stressed about it all the way up to the race day (couldn't sleep the night before) but on the day of? Cool as a cucumber, just keep running until somebody hands you a medal and a cold beer

#7391391 - 11/14/13 11:42 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: 2000SiRacer]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Damn it! I had signed up for that 30k on saturday because it goes on part of the dipsea course and I thought it would be good to get out there.
The day after I sign up Ian Sharman posts on facebook that he is leading a double dipsea group run!
I'm thinking about eating the $65 entry from the race and bailing to do the run with Sharman.

#7391407 - 11/14/13 11:45 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

Damn it! I had signed up for that 30k on saturday because it goes on part of the dipsea course and I thought it would be good to get out there.
The day after I sign up Ian Sharman posts on facebook that he is leading a double dipsea group run!
I'm thinking about eating the $65 entry from the race and bailing to do the run with Sharman.

I saw that and thought "oh sweet, that must be the run ampsman is doing!"

Funny story: Ian was hanging out around the finish of UROC for hours this year and despite seeing him finish at Leadville the month before I didn't recognize him and thought "who is this rather short guy with the British accent, he looks fast" before someone called him Ian and I put the pieces together (and slapped my forehead in comic fashion).

#7391483 - 11/14/13 12:03 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: 2000SiRacer]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

I saw that and thought "oh sweet, that must be the run ampsman is doing!"

Funny story: Ian was hanging out around the finish of UROC for hours this year and despite seeing him finish at Leadville the month before I didn't recognize him and thought "who is this rather short guy with the British accent, he looks fast" before someone called him Ian and I put the pieces together (and slapped my forehead in comic fashion).

My first 50k I did this year in April he was there and I didnt recognize him.
I lined up next to him, Lon Freeman and a local guy Brett Rivers who is a beast also.
I learned very quickly why they were in the front and why I shouldnt have been.
Probably why I ended up dropping.

#7391495 - 11/14/13 12:06 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: 2000SiRacer]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

And speaking of races this summer: I saw this guy at both Leadville and UROC. He was walking around Leadville dressed exactly like some other guy you may know - same hipsterish glasses, rolled up jeans, etc. It was eery. Same deal at UROC. I never got a (creeper) picture of him to show you guys but I found this while looking through Rickey Gates' Leadville photos - apparently he noticed a resemblance as well

This photo cracks me up so hard. That look is priceless, like he's guilty of something and has just been caught red handed

I asked some people at UROC if they knew anything about the impersonator and nobody had any idea who he was, but they'd seem him around lately. He's even rocking New Balance gear!

#7391505 - 11/14/13 12:08 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: 2000SiRacer]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

I saw that pic on rickeys site.
Wish we could see the bib # so we could crack the case!

#7391529 - 11/14/13 12:14 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

I saw that pic on rickeys site.
Wish we could see the bib # so we could crack the case!

I hadn't even thought of that! Man, with a bib number we could get more hilarious race photos too. I showed that to picture to my gf and she said "man, it's like a fat Tony Krupicka" #nailedit

Page 71 of 148 « First<6970717273>Last »

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads