Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#304461 - 07/11/06 03:15 PM Question about Georgia and transferring registration
Zoologico Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Gwinnett County, GA
Hi folks,

I recently moved to Georgia, Gwinett County to be more exact.

I have two vehicles titled and registered in MA.
I just bought another vehicle out of state (MA). It has a MA title.

So in summary I have 3 cars:

1 ma title ma reg (low value)
1 ma title ma reg (low value)
1 ma title no reg (high value)

To get the vehicles registered in GA I need to title them and register them. When you do this, you have to pay an ad valorem tax which is based on vehicle worth.

I need only two of these cars. I will sell one of them. I will keep the high value and one of the low value ones.

My question is, is there any LEGAL way to avoid paying ad valorem tax on the high value one?

I was thinking I could title and register the two low value ones (paying low ad valorem tax values). Then I would title and transfer one of the registrations to the high value car in hopes of not having to pay the ad valorem tax on it since it is a registration transfer (not a new registration).

My question is can I do this, and if I do, will I have to pay the ad valorem tax?

Anyone have some experience with how this may work or am I stuck paying the high value ad valorem tax?

I have found that when in doubt about how much you will have to pay out in taxes, you will usually be required to pay out the most, but I figured I'd ask just in case.

Also, I am not interested in running any scam or lying (anything illegal) to go about doing this because it's not right first of all, and the potentially ensuing drama is just not worth it.

I have found the instructions on how to title a car and register it with new tags, but not ones for titling it and transferring the tags from one car to another.

Thanks.

Visit Sponsors! Help CSi !
#304462 - 07/14/06 10:32 PM Re: Question about Georgia and transferring registration
Mr_Nice_Guy Offline
Post Master Jr

Loc: Madison, AL
What year is the high value car? If you want to be legal about this whole thing you may have to just take one for the team.

#304463 - 07/21/06 10:10 PM Re: Question about Georgia and transferring registration
Zoologico Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Gwinnett County, GA
2000 is the high value.
5 series BMW

#304464 - 10/25/06 09:39 PM Re: Question about Georgia and transferring registration
sxtoz Offline

Loc: Birmingham, AL
Yes you will have to pay it. When you transfer registration they will see if you paid advalerom on it this year, you either have or haven't, and they will make you pay. Sad but true...

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads