Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#315107 - 07/23/06 11:49 AM Launching problems, any advice from experienced drag racers?
Boosted Snail Offline

Loc: Marietta, GA
Hey. I own a 00 Si with the following mods:

-Custom built turbo kit by www.DCPTurbo.com at 8psi. (making around 230-240whp)
-Toyo Proxy T1R's 205/50/15 (stock SI wheels)
-DC Sports short shifter
-Clutch Specialties Stage 4 clutch
-Hawk Brake Pads
-Power Slot Rotors
-Koni Yellows
-H & R Race springs
-Skunk2 Front & Rear Camber kits
-Polyurathyne Engine Mount inserts
-N1 Cat-back

I went to the track last night for the second time since I turboed my car. I couldnt hit 13's! I trap 104mph but my fastest time to date has been 14.1. With a trap speed like that I should be hitting mid-low 13's easily. I have launch control on my car set at 4k. So if I pin the gas it builds around 1-2 psi before take off. If I drop the clutch I spin tires through first and get no traction. If I ride the clutch then it takes off like a slug. I need some advise so please help me out! Would investing in some traction bars be a good idea? Do they really work? Thanks in advance!

Edited by Boosted Snail (07/24/06 11:36 AM)

Visit Sponsors! Help CSi !
#315108 - 07/23/06 06:06 PM Re: Launching problems, any advice from experienced drag rac
b6ixteen Offline
Post Master Jr

Loc: Florida
Get slicks or drag radials.
#315109 - 07/23/06 11:00 PM Re: Launching problems, any advice from experienced drag rac
Boosted Snail Offline

Loc: Marietta, GA
Im afraid of getting slicks cuz this is my only car. I dont wanna break an axle.....

Do traction bars help any?

Any ideas on how to fix wheel hop?

#315110 - 07/25/06 01:31 PM Re: Launching problems, any advice from experienced drag rac
b6ixteen Offline
Post Master Jr

Loc: Florida
If you worried about breaking an axle, get performance axles.

Traction bars do help.

Solid mounts or motor mount inserts will fix wheel hop.

#315111 - 08/11/06 06:47 PM Re: Launching problems, any advice from experienced drag rac
Godfather Offline

Loc: West Coast, Florida
Solid motor mounts are a bitch IMHO. You'll feel every vibration on the planet with them.

Drag radials will work better than slicks. Invest in some Nittos.

How much boost are you getting? 1-2# seems kinda weaksauce for staging.

With the drag radials just spin that bitch up to 4000, side step it, and there ya go.

The goal is to get that 60' time down. If you're bogging out of the hole you won't be able to pick up a bunch of time/speed on the big end. Just a thought.

#315112 - 08/15/06 09:03 PM Re: Launching problems, any advice from experienced drag rac
untouchable06si Offline
Poster

Loc: Toronto
if im not mistaken wheel hop is mainly caused by the flexing of the control arms
06 AS SI #00378 (Jan 7th) AEM CAI 2500K Nokya Yellow Bulbs Throttle Body Coolant Bypass 18" FRD (215/35ZR/18) NEUSPEED Race Springs Comptech SS Hondata IMG Brass Shifter Bushings 92 Civic SI Hatch (RIP)

#315113 - 08/18/06 01:13 PM Re: Launching problems, any advice from experienced drag rac
jDMJeRk Offline
Jr Poster

Loc: Tacoma, WA
Quote:

Im afraid of getting slicks cuz this is my only car. I dont wanna break an axle.....

There are a few things to consider here before you proceed. You have to draw a line between your daily driver and your track car. What is bareable for me might be a living hell to you.

The stiffer your motor mounts are the better. The vibrations are a bitch but bareable if you ask me. This would be an issue if you were daily driving the car to some.

The traction bar is an awesome upgrade. It will extend your wheel base (if you do it the right way) and also keep the front suspension stiffer and will help eliminate wheel hop. This is beneficial on a street car or track car and not that big of a "cry baby" mod like the mounts.

I wouldn't worry about breaking axels; its a part of drag racing. Bring spares and be prepared to change an axle out. It takes a whole 20 minutes if that to change one? You could go with aftermarket axels but those break just as much too unless you buy a 4k setup which usually isn't feasable to most of us. Autozone has a lifetime warranty on their axles and are pretty damn strong for $125 and if you do break one, you'll get a new one for free. Now here is the big trick on not breaking axels; preloading. Stage your car, pull your ebrake up, bring your rpm to whatever the hell you launch at, slip the clutch just enough so it grabs, and when its time to take off, take the ebrake down and pop the clutch. This works almost EVERY time and well too. I've never broken an axle and most of my friends haven't either and some of them are runniny high 10s on stock axels. Its tricky to preload, but practice makes perfect and will save your wallet.

Side note: Do you have your time slip?

Good Luck

#315114 - 09/07/06 10:52 PM Re: Launching problems, any advice from experienced drag racers?
caRRRR Offline
Post Master Jr

Loc: P.C. > U
if you'll be frequently visiting the track, get some slicks.

#315115 - 09/09/06 05:14 PM Re: Launching problems, any advice from experienced drag rac
Speedfreaksi Offline
Jr Member

Loc: Denton, Tx
as already stated depending on how much power he's putting out slicks will result in a axle breaking....you have so much traction your stock axles wont be able to handle UNLESS you do as jdmjerk suggested and preload but even then you run a chance....ask joe..hes the one running 10's with stock axles

#315116 - 09/13/06 10:18 PM Re: Launching problems, any advice from experienced drag rac
caRRRR Offline
Post Master Jr

Quote:

as already stated depending on how much power he's putting out slicks will result in a axle breaking....you have so much traction your stock axles wont be able to handle UNLESS you do as jdmjerk suggested and preload but even then you run a chance....ask joe..hes the one running 10's with stock axles

he's in the 9's. and slicks don't break axles. don't be scared by them. be concerned about wheel hop from street tires. those give hell on your axles and tranny. broke a diff once from it at the track. never had any problems with slicks. plus, most important thing in any competitve sports is consistency. you're not going to find that in street tires. i don't care how much power you're putting down. slicks are the best investment HANDS DOWN

#315117 - 09/14/06 10:58 PM Re: Launching problems, any advice from experienced drag rac
uberpollo Moderator Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: KCMO
Bad suspension geometry will break axles way before slicks will.

#315118 - 09/15/06 05:41 PM Re: Launching problems, any advice from experienced drag rac
Speedfreaksi Offline
Jr Member

i just mean...take a honda with say 300whp dont preload and use slicks and snap....use street radials and its a diff. story

#315119 - 09/17/06 08:53 PM Re: Launching problems, any advice from experienced drag rac
caRRRR Offline
Post Master Jr

Quote:

i just mean...take a honda with say 300whp dont preload and use slicks and snap....use street radials and its a diff. story

first of all, it's not the hp you should consider. it's the torque. second, you almost never experience wheel hop with slicks. with personal experience, i've had more problems with street tires (drag radials and others) than slicks, like breaking my diff. actually, in my personal experience, i've never had any problems with slicks other than traction. i saw a buddy of mine with a 99 si with stock wheels and street tires break an axle off the line. sure you can break axles with slicks. but the benefits far out weigh any consequences.

#315120 - 09/18/06 05:02 PM Re: Launching problems, any advice from experienced drag rac
Speedfreaksi Offline
Jr Member

Quote:

Quote:

first of all, it's not the hp you should consider. it's the torque. second, you almost never experience wheel hop with slicks. with personal experience, i've had more problems with street tires (drag radials and others) than slicks, like breaking my diff. actually, in my personal experience, i've never had any problems with slicks other than traction. i saw a buddy of mine with a 99 si with stock wheels and street tires break an axle off the line. sure you can break axles with slicks. but the benefits far out weigh any consequences.

yay i agree..the hp should be relative to the tq...if you have 300whp you probably have around 200+wtq which is almost twice as much as the 99-00 si has stock...but i concure

#315121 - 09/26/06 10:32 PM Re: Launching problems, any advice from experienced drag rac
forced00si Offline
Got Boost'r
Jr Member

Loc: the south
Quote:

not from what I have seen.

#315122 - 09/27/06 10:20 AM Re: Launching problems, any advice from experienced drag rac
caRRRR Offline
Post Master Jr

Quote:

Quote:

not from what I have seen.

nittos suck ass. don't buy them. waste of 300 bucks.

#315123 - 12/24/06 11:04 PM Re: Launching problems, any advice from experienced drag rac
de93si Offline
Jr Poster

Loc: new castle de
tons. i have f-r bars on my setup

solid or atleast good urethane engine mounts, torque mount inserts or solid mounts, and traction bars.

if you preload on slicks, and leave right, your axles should last.

#1034535 - 02/13/07 12:19 AM Re: Launching problems, any advice from experienced drag rac [Re: de93si]
Turbo SS Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Tulsa OK
What was your 60 ft time? Also you should be able to build more boost on the line than 2 lbs.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  uberpollo, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads