Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#633250 - 11/02/06 12:15 AM FINAL PRODUCT UPDATE-DIY: body color grill
KingCivic00 Offline
Sr Member

Loc: Ft. Myers Beach, FL
i dont like the gray part on the civic si grill. i think it needs to match the color of the car. so, here's what i did: [at the time of this post, all i have left to do is apply medium rubbing compound and remove and install new grill] do this at your own risk.

required items:
-si front grill (either take the one off your car, or order a spare one to work on) i ordered mine from hondapartsdeals.com for about $50 plus S+H
-paint supplies: i got all my stuff from paintscratch.com
you will need to order from them bulldog adhesion promoter (makes paint stick to virtually anything), flexible primer, base coat of the color of your car(paintscratch.com will walk you through the process of choosing the correct color), clear coat (all were in aerosol cans), and medium rubbing compound (can be purchased at an automotive store). get some #600 fine grit wet sandpaper also
-phillips head screw driver
-sharp blade (only necessary for removing the "Si" emblem back bracket)

process:
1. if you are not purchasing a spare/back-up grill, then follow zachys' DIY on the front bumper removal in order to get to the grill and remove it, located on the FAQ sticky, THANX ZACHYS!. (i will be a lil clearer on the removal process for those that need me to whenever i actually put the new grill on)
2. unscrew ALL screws in the back of the grill. there is a total of 10 screws.

3. remove the "H" emblem (i replaced it with a JDM) and the "Si" logo. remove the painted top portion of the grill and store it in a safe place.

4. if you want to get rid of the "Si" logo completely (i did), take a super sharp razor blade and carefully cut the back bracket off-you want to make it as flush as possible (the next step will smooth out the imperfection)

5. wetsand the area to be painted with the 600 grit paper to get a smooth surface. let dry

6. apply the bulldog adhesion promotor as directed on the aerosol can. let dry
7. apply the flexible primer to the grill. again, follow the directions on the can. i used numerous coats of this stuff, applying it in thin layers. you just wanna make sure you cant see through it.
8. GENTLY wetsand the final primer coat with 600 grit to get a smooth finish (i only sanded the areas that were to be painted), if you sand through the primer, then you must reapply the primer again. let dry

[do beagles hunt honda civic grills too? ]
9. time to apply the base coat. apply as directed on the aerosol can. i applied thin layers of paint, giving it approx 10 minutes between coats. after each coat, compare the factory painted portion of the grill to the paint job you did....when the shades are similar, then stop applying the basecoat. my aerosol can ran empty when it finally reached a close shade. you be the judge:

i think its pretty darn close.

Nov. 2, EDIT:
10. apply clear coat after the base coat has COMPLETELY dried. again, follow the directions on the can, applying thin layers with 10 minute intervals. i used approximately 3/4 of the clear coat aerosol can. the clear coat will appear dull when dry, but dont worry...thats what the medium rubbing compound is for.

[dull clear coat]
11. you must let the clear coat dry for a MINIMUM of 3 days before applying the rubbing compound.

i'll update this DIY monday, after i have applied the rubbing compound.

i'm not very impressed with the base coat. its not as metallic as i would like it to be. i'm hoping that when i apply the rubbing compound, it'll bring out the pearl more. red's prolly the hardest color to match ever....it comes in soo many shades.

EDIT: FINAL PRODUCT:

i had to put the "Si" badge back on due to a blemish in the paint-i couldnt fix the paint in that area cuz i ran all out. needless to say, i was ticked when i fucked that part up. all i gotta do is put this one on my car and i'm done.

Edited by KingCivic00 (11/08/06 04:17 PM)
[habanero red fg2]**fujita sri**tb bypass**hondata img**speed-source bushings**2.75" skunk2 mega-power**BLAZE's custom door sills**jdm goodies**DIY custom lower HRP grill (almost)**my blood and sweat**and a cherry air freshner [flamenco black em1]**RIP**toda B16 spec-b** 'nuff said

Visit Sponsors! Help CSi !
#633251 - 11/02/06 01:18 AM Re: DIY: body color grill [dial up?-you've been warned]
Nykra Offline
Jr Member

Loc: NJ
Maybe it's just the picture, but that last pic looks like a flat red, or more like a Rallye Red than the Habi color. I'm sure it's better in person?

#633252 - 11/02/06 05:50 AM Re: DIY: body color grill [dial up?-you've been warned]
zachys Offline
Post Master Jr

Loc: 191whp 139wtq
Looks like from the flash it did something to the color but you can see it matches the top portion pretty damn good. Nice one King, Can't wait to see it on the car. Nice job!!

Mods I have = 209whp

#633253 - 11/02/06 06:32 AM Re: DIY: body color grill [dial up?-you've been warned]
KingCivic00 Offline
Sr Member

Quote:

Maybe it's just the picture, but that last pic looks like a flat red, or more like a Rallye Red than the Habi color. I'm sure it's better in person?

no clear coat on it yet. so, yeah, your right...it is a flat red right now....its only the base coat.
[habanero red fg2]**fujita sri**tb bypass**hondata img**speed-source bushings**2.75" skunk2 mega-power**BLAZE's custom door sills**jdm goodies**DIY custom lower HRP grill (almost)**my blood and sweat**and a cherry air freshner [flamenco black em1]**RIP**toda B16 spec-b** 'nuff said

#633254 - 11/02/06 09:16 AM Re: DIY: body color grill [dial up?-you've been warned]
06fg2 Offline

Loc: West Chester, PA
Sweet DIY. Does the base coat have the pearl in it? I thought it did, but it just looks funny. I plan on doing the same thing with my habi red grill.
#633255 - 11/02/06 09:25 AM Re: DIY: body color grill [dial up?-you've been warned]
KingCivic00 Offline
Sr Member

Quote:

Sweet DIY. Does the base coat have the pearl in it? I thought it did, but it just looks funny. I plan on doing the same thing with my habi red grill.

thanx!

well...the basecoat does have the pearl, but its not as pearly as the factory paint. you have to look really close to see it. but the shade of red is extremely similar to oem though.

#633256 - 11/02/06 10:14 AM Re: DIY: body color grill [dial up?-you've been warned]
Steve06Si Offline
Poster

Loc: Jacksonville, Florida
Looks nice King!

#633257 - 11/02/06 10:41 AM Re: DIY: body color grill [dial up?-you've been warned]
seanhpi Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: RoC NY
i wanna see on car... then ill let you know my answer..

I think it will look good. I was thinkin about paint the bottom a gloss black so only thing u can see is the upper fiji... or the black they used on the dx/ex/lx..

Shawn
04 800 sxr

#633258 - 11/02/06 10:48 AM Re: DIY: body color grill [dial up?-you've been warned]
KingCivic00 Offline
Sr Member

Quote:

i wanna see on car... then ill let you know my answer..

I think it will look good. I was thinkin about paint the bottom a gloss black so only thing u can see is the upper fiji... or the black they used on the dx/ex/lx..

Shawn

i should have it on this weekend. if i dont like it, or if the paint doesnt hold up to chips/scratches, then i can always put the spare back on.

#633259 - 11/02/06 10:51 AM Re: DIY: body color grill [dial up?-you've been warned]
KingCivic00 Offline
Sr Member

Quote:

Looks nice King!

hey steve!...sorry i havent replied in awhile, ever since i got my car back, i've been busy doin this and that to it. (as u can tell). hows autox goin? the track event you were telling me about thats being held down here in ft. myers...u goin?

#633260 - 11/02/06 11:10 AM Re: DIY: body color grill [dial up?-you've been warned]
dunwheels Offline

Loc: Central PA
You didn't get any overspray on the couch, door or cute little dog did you?

#633261 - 11/02/06 12:12 PM Re: DIY: body color grill [dial up?-you've been warned]
zachys Offline
Post Master Jr

Quote:

I'm not saying anything but this was his last dog

Edited by zachys (11/02/06 12:12 PM)

Mods I have = 209whp

#633262 - 11/02/06 12:32 PM Re: DIY: body color grill [dial up?-you've been warned]
KingCivic00 Offline
Sr Member

lmao....you guys freakin crack me up!

#633263 - 11/02/06 01:05 PM Re: DIY: body color grill [dial up?-you've been warned]
Steve06Si Offline
Poster

Loc: Jacksonville, Florida
No worries Lo...Been busy in the office myself...doubt if I'll get down there for that event. Not ready for that level...If I get more 1st place placques, I'll consider a National event. Havin a blast!

That is a lot of work to do that to your grill. All that more custom for sure. Want to see it on. With the new badge I bet it will be sweet.

Bet it feels even better to have yer baby back since you were w/o it for a while.

#633264 - 11/02/06 02:57 PM Re: DIY: body color grill [dial up?-you've been warned]
dunwheels Offline

Loc: Central PA
Quote:

Quote:

I'm not saying anything but this was his last dog

LMAO.

Wait, what kind of a card did he have that was PINK?

#633265 - 11/02/06 09:44 PM Re: DIY: body color grill [dial up?-you've been warned]
KingCivic00 Offline
Sr Member

bump for the clear coat process

#633266 - 11/08/06 04:19 PM Re: DIY: body color grill [dial up?-you've been warned]
KingCivic00 Offline
Sr Member

bump for final product

#633267 - 11/08/06 04:35 PM Re: DIY: body color grill [dial up?-you've been warned]
zachys Offline
Post Master Jr

I like it. Turned out pretty good and I think once it's on the Si won't look too bad.

Mods I have = 209whp

#633268 - 11/08/06 04:54 PM Re: DIY: body color grill [dial up?-you've been warned]
seanhpi Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: RoC NY
looks awesome.. how ever i would take the SI off completely.... does not look good lieing down on the lower section. Standin up was fine..

Shawn
04 800 sxr

#633269 - 11/08/06 05:25 PM Re: DIY: body color grill [dial up?-you've been warned]
Nykra Offline
Jr Member

Loc: NJ
Looks phenominal. Also, seconded to the post above mine. Si needs to stand up =P

#633270 - 11/08/06 05:32 PM Re: DIY: body color grill [dial up?-you've been warned]
atlantabraves707 Offline
Jr Member

Loc: FL
looks fresh....nice job

personally i love the black grill.......NBP FTW

#633271 - 11/08/06 05:43 PM Re: DIY: body color grill [dial up?-you've been warned]
KingCivic00 Offline
Sr Member

Quote:

looks awesome.. how ever i would take the SI off completely.... does not look good lieing down on the lower section. Standin up was fine..

Shawn

my intentions were to leave the Si off completely, but i messed up in that one section and couldnt fix it cuz i ran out of paint. so, to cover up my goof up, i put the Si over it.

i oversprayed and it ran in that one area. i was ticked, cuz everything else turned out good except that one part. i'm gonna buy another can and do the other grill. this time i'll know what i'm doin.

#633272 - 11/08/06 08:00 PM Re: FINAL PRODUCT UPDATE-DIY: body color grill
Toxin Offline
Post Master

Loc: San Diago
Nice writeup, and to each his own, but I can't say I'm feelin it. To me it looks like a $100 Maaco paintjob where they don't mask anything and just paint over your entire car. I'm somewhat curious to see it on the car, though.

#633273 - 11/08/06 08:11 PM Re: FINAL PRODUCT UPDATE-DIY: body color grill
jellydoughnutt Offline
Post Master Sr

i think you did a great job, cant wait to see it mounted.
im glad you made it a tasteful mod. i like the si symbol where it is.

"hell do you mean it has potential? WHERE you born stupid or something?"-Nooky04

#633274 - 11/08/06 09:09 PM Re: FINAL PRODUCT UPDATE-DIY: body color grill
06fg2 Offline

Loc: West Chester, PA
So sick. Post some of the final pics. I want to see it on the car damnit. Haha.
#633275 - 11/09/06 12:03 AM Re: FINAL PRODUCT UPDATE-DIY: body color grill
KingCivic00 Offline
Sr Member

wow...thanx for all the positive feedback!

i was preparing myself for all the bashing, cuz, you know...we're a tough crowd.

final pics will be up sat afternoon...installed! cant wait myself. i saw a taffy white si with the color matched grill posted up somewhere on 8thcivic. i liked it, so i figured i'd give it a shot, since absolutely no company makes decent grills for us yet. did anyone see that fugly grill that a member from 8thcivic did? he made a DIY for it and all....its a silver si with just chicken wire material to replace the oem grill. looked like a big hole in front of the car cuz he completely removed the grill

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  SiAdam, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads