Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#69539 - 01/04/05 10:01 AM Two questions about Infinity Kappa 6.5'' install...HELP!!
nalinc23 Offline
Post Master

Loc: Sav
This install is ridiculous. I've done a search first off and I still have a few questions:

1. Best way to mount the tweeters?? I'm not a huge freak about complete stock look, so what's the easiest way? Should I buy the crutchfield mounting kit? AHHHH

2. Stock hole on the mids (6.5's) isn't big enough, so should I just jigsaw the hole to make it larger?? Plus are these friggin things too deep?? It looks like the clearance is gonna be DAMN CLOSE with the window!?!

What a pain, I may have to get this done professionally which will end up costing so damn much if I cant find some good answers

Edited by nalinc23 (01/04/05 10:02 AM)
2000 Honda Civic Si, EBP *SOLD*

Visit Sponsors! Help CSi !
#69540 - 01/04/05 12:42 PM Re: Two questions about Infinity Kappa 6.5'' install...HELP!
BrandonCLaps Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Syracuse, NY
i thought everyone said the kappa's were a perfect fit? I wouldn't go hacking up your doors to get them to fit, maybe u have to go with a different set of components, unless u wanna do something custom.
#69541 - 01/04/05 03:21 PM Re: Two questions about Infinity Kappa 6.5'' install...HELP!
nalinc23 Offline
Post Master

I know!! I basically went with these speakers cause so many people get them and say they fit so great, it's kinda BS actually, unless we're not talking about 99-00 Si's. Gonna have a guy I know that does a good job at Circuit City Install them....it's over my head now that the tweets dont mount cleanly and I cant even fit 1/2 the Midrange in the door w/ the stock opening.

#69542 - 01/04/05 03:50 PM Re: Two questions about Infinity Kappa 6.5'' install...HELP!
chrisgcivicsi Offline
Major Member

Loc: Germany
I have a 00 si, and bought the same speakers. Yes the speakers fit in deep and your going to have to cut the plastic away from the inside part of the speaker dish or whatever, the sheet metal part of the door is big enough just plastic on the door panel needs to be cut away.I used the metal ring thing the speakers come with and mounted it like stock then screwed the speakers onto that. Also the inside part of the speaker cover needs to be shaved down abit but may not me nessesary. I havent mount my tweeters yet but it is possible to get them in the stock location with some epocy glue or silicon to keep them in place since the infinty ones are alittle smaller. You might be able to use part of the OEM tweeter to make it look stock. I been wanting to mount the tweeters also just been to lazy. Actually might think about doing it now since my cars down with a bad exhaust valve and i am waiting on my new ITR head to come in. You can still wire in the 6.5 and mount them until you figure out the tweeters, the stock tweeters still sound good to me depending on your headunit plus they are already seperated from the original woofer from the factory if that makes any sense. I am not a stereo no it all but can do decent installs once i get mine done i'll post up some pics for you. Just be patient you know and do it yourself. Also a good investment to get the Infinity kappa component 6x9 3ways, they sound great to and even more of a pain to get in then the door speakers, and talk about a massive magnet too.

#69543 - 01/04/05 04:50 PM Re: Two questions about Infinity Kappa 6.5'' install...HELP!
nalinc23 Offline
Post Master

Thanks for the help, I will attempt again possibly. If you are able to take good detailed pics that would be awesome, in terms of the tweeter install, if you have the patience and time. The woofer doesn't sound that bad, I just dont really understand what part of the door panel plastic should be cut back. The wiring is quite a mess in stock form too, any expertise on that? Just do the battery pop method/trial and error? thanks

#69544 - 01/04/05 06:47 PM Re: Two questions about Infinity Kappa 6.5'' install...HELP!
nalinc23 Offline
Post Master

Ok thanks a lot! The woofers are not a problem any longer. Any pics and/or advice about the tweeters would be great, they're soooo annoying! flush mount, surface mount, nothing works well with the stock pod.

#69545 - 01/05/05 12:42 PM Re: Two questions about Infinity Kappa 6.5'' install...HELP!
nalinc23 Offline
Post Master

Got both the tweeter and woofer mounted with a lot of help. I'm going to use the stock wiring and try and figure out the mess now. Anyone know where to find a good diagram of the speaker/tweeter wiring???

#69546 - 01/05/05 01:42 PM Re: Two questions about Infinity Kappa 6.5'' install...HELP!
chrisgcivicsi Offline
Major Member

Quote:

Ok thanks a lot! The woofers are not a problem any longer. Any pics and/or advice about the tweeters would be great, they're soooo annoying! flush mount, surface mount, nothing works well with the stock pod.

You got that right about the tweeters, i went through the same thing trying to figure out how to do the tweeters the first time, but have a few resources here at work that i think i can fabricate something, should also work with you. I cant really give any details right now until i in the middle of doing and finished then could give you the info and help others out also. I'll keep you informed and i PM you back also.

#69547 - 01/05/05 04:30 PM Re: Two questions about Infinity Kappa 6.5'' install...HELP!
chrisgcivicsi Offline
Major Member

Well at your request a how to on how to install the Infinity kappa tweeters in the stock location, and i still kept it clean and look like factory. I have owned these speakers now for about a year, but because of work and deployments i got lazy and never installed the tweeters until now after reading your post. So this is what i did:

First i removed the factory tweeter and mount from the door, i just cut the wires near the oem tweeter cause i am not going to be using it but left original wiring in place anyway. So once i had the tweeter assy. out i came inside and started looking it over trying to decide how i was going to do it. I wanted to keep it as clean as possible.

Next removed the screw that holds the tweeter in place and removed the speaker. Now not everyone is going to want to do what i did next but oh well. So pretty much i broke out the dremel tool with adjustable speed and procided to pretty much cut out the original tweeter from the shell/grill assy. that holds the speaker in place. I used this little raotory bit with the dremel and cut around the speaker itself until the magnet part came out. Then cut away the rest of the plastic speaker shell inside the tweeter holder thingy and pretty much all i had left was the shell plastic cover with the grill. I used a little sanding drum and cleaned up the loose plastic so that the infinity speaker fits pretty much inside prefectly. Now with the piece that mounts in the door theres a little nipple thing where the tweeter goes into and i removed that so the tweeter and shell assy fits perfect like OEM. I left the original silver tweeter grill on the infinity tweeter also.

So once everything is fit perfectly you can use a epoxy 2 part glue to hold the tweeter in place in the original oem tweeter grill and let dry. Then put your new infinity tweeter with the oem shell and mount inside the piece that goes in the door and epoxy in place also. Once everything is dry you can check fitment and then wire your tweeter and woofer to the crossover and to your amp or to your stereo. My alpine puts out 60w RMS per channel so it should be good enough and since i dont have amp right now to run it i am going to wire it in that way from now. Heres some pics in order of how i explained it.

This might not be the greatest how to ever posted but think most should get the idea. Once everything is put together it pretty much looks OEM but if you look closely you can see the little Infinity sign on the tweeter.

#69548 - 01/05/05 04:34 PM Re: Two questions about Infinity Kappa 6.5'' install...HELP!
chrisgcivicsi Offline
Major Member

Oh yeah i forgot this only took me about a hour or so to do. So must say it was alot easier then i thought. Now i got to get it glued together, wired and reinstalled and its good to go. I only did the drivers side, I'll do the passager side tomorrow but its done in the same manner. Have fun and get yours done too.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  rcurley55, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads