Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#7012460 - 04/15/13 01:26 PM Is wheel horsepower = wheel horsepower
ReplicaR Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: E.E.B.
Here is an interesting question I’ve been thinking about lately. Does x rwhp = x awhp? I know that there is more drivetrain loss through 4 wheels, which is why most people calculate it as 22% loss rather than 15% for 2 wheel drive car. So, given that x rwhp = x awhp, all wheel drive car should make more power at the engine. But the question is not about the engine, but rather the car itself. Let’s eliminate traction as a variable, and say that the car is a same car making same power from the same motor. Would they be equally fast, if both of them made same WHEEL horsepower, regardless of being AWD or 2WD? I want to say yes, but I’m not 100% certain on this.

Acceleration.... \:\( -------+-- \:\)
Handling......... \:\( -------+-- \:\)
Speed............ \:\( ------+--- \:\)

Videos
#7013314 - 04/15/13 05:17 PM Re: Is wheel horsepower = wheel horsepower [Re: ReplicaR]
NVMYMPGZ Offline
Sr Member

Loc: White Plains, NY
I try to keep things simple. The motor makes the power, AWD vs RWD vs FWD. No matter. The motor sends power to the drivetrain which accounts for the % of loss.

Typicality speaking, automagic will produce more loss, same goes for any system that tries to power more than 1 axle.

The motor power is the same, the power that makes it to the ground is where the difference lies

#7013552 - 04/15/13 07:13 PM Re: Is wheel horsepower = wheel horsepower [Re: ReplicaR]
UglyValiant Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Milwaukee, WI
If the question is "will an AWD and RWD car, assuming same traction/no spin and same weight, gears, etc, were making the same HP to the wheels, will they be equal in a race?"

then yes.

If it were "same weight, all the above, same power at the flywheel, and same zero traction issues for either, would the two be equal?"

then no, as more power would be lost to the wheels of the AWD, and it would be slightly slower.
1989 Shelby CSX (#500/500)
The most powerful production minivan money can buy.

#7040166 - 04/29/13 08:10 AM Re: Is wheel horsepower = wheel horsepower [Re: UglyValiant]
g96nt Offline
Jr Poster

Loc: Annapolis MD
Yeah.
Assuming you had 2 cars that weigh the same and have the same WHP, you'd end up with pretty similar MPH. (removing traction as a variable)
Although the AWD might be quicker, they'd both end up with pretty similar trap speeds, which is the true(r) measure of power.

#7048298 - 05/02/13 10:38 PM Re: Is wheel horsepower = wheel horsepower [Re: g96nt]
Dynam Offline

i think youu are right.but a little difficult with you.the 2 wheel drive aim at speed than power.Nine-Eagles

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  auxilary, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads