Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#7072931 - 05/16/13 05:45 PM Coworker has a '92 Z32 TT that has been sitting for a decade
auxilary Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Zimbabwe
Probably has 5-7 year old gas in it, oil at least as old. I don't know when it was last run, but it's coated in dust and registration sticker is from 2004. It's otherwise a cherry car inside and out. I think it has 40k miles

What all should be done to it to get it to road worthy condition? Off top of my head, I'm thinking:

-tires
-oil flush
-drain/flush gas tank and fuel lines
-coolant
-timing belt?
-injector cleaning
-battery, plugs, serpentine belts

What else do you guys think it needs to run again, and what would hte ballpark cost be?

Videos
#7073508 - 05/16/13 11:57 PM Re: Coworker has a '92 Z32 TT that has been sitting for a decade [Re: auxilary]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Nor Cal, Hella hurr durr
check insurance policy... roll into street.... set on fire \:\)

#7074201 - 05/17/13 11:29 AM Re: Coworker has a '92 Z32 TT that has been sitting for a decade [Re: stickaz_old]
auxilary Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Zimbabwe
ok, that's 2 people so far that told me to set it on fire.

how about some real input? \:\)

#7074728 - 05/17/13 03:10 PM Re: Coworker has a '92 Z32 TT that has been sitting for a decade [Re: auxilary]
UglyValiant Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Milwaukee, WI
I say change the oil, top it off with fresh gas. Maybe siphon the old stuff and THEN get fresh gas in at most.

Start it up.

I mean, you can take it to obnoxious degrees to fire it off...but really it doesn't need it. Just last summer an uncle fired off a truck that had sat for over 20 years, and believe me, he didn't do anything special except add fresh gas.

If you worry about priming the oil system, pull the plugs, disconnect/disable the fuel injectors, spray a little marvel mystery oil in the spark plug hole, turn the thing over for ~ 15 seconds via the starter (no compression makes life easy on the bearings, MM oil for the cylinder walls), reinstall plugs and again, fire it off...
1989 Shelby CSX (#500/500)
The most powerful production minivan money can buy.

#7074851 - 05/17/13 04:23 PM Re: Coworker has a '92 Z32 TT that has been sitting for a decade [Re: UglyValiant]
OnyxEros Online   nohc
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Seattle
yeah do exactly what you propose and drive it

you won't hurt anything and any leaks will become apparent once warmed up

#7075436 - 05/18/13 02:33 AM Re: Coworker has a '92 Z32 TT that has been sitting for a decade [Re: ]
scootergeek Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: East of St. Louis
why would you want to buy a small, sacrificed furry animal?

I'd follow uglyvaliant's advice and also throw a can of seafoam in the gas tank with the new gas for good measure.

#7076680 - 05/19/13 10:26 AM Re: Coworker has a '92 Z32 TT that has been sitting for a decade [Re: scootergeek]
GB Offline
Sharesies!
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Craigslist
 Originally Posted By: scootergeek
why would you want to buy a small, sacrificed furry animal?

#7081250 - 05/21/13 08:40 PM Re: Coworker has a '92 Z32 TT that has been sitting for a decade [Re: GB]
zc911 Offline
Ferrari4Sale 😎
Post Master Supreme

Loc: toronto
I bought an ITR that was left for 12 years.
i changed the oil, checked to make sure the plugs where good, popped the intake arm off to make sure there was no mouse nest in there, changed the battery and fired it up.

to make it road worthy, the next thing you need to do is check the brakes, change the coolant, drive it, if the tires are toast you will feel it.

On the other hand i bought a 1960 MGA that sat for 15 years, it was much more of a pain/pain in progress.
- new fuel tank
- replace the rubber fuel lines
- rebuilt the carbs
- new spark plugs
- new battery cables
- new calipers, rotors, and pads
- new master cylinder
- new brushes in the starter
- new oil
- new coolant
- new brake fluid/clutch fluid
- possibly a new slave cylinder for the clutch
- new choke cable
- new thorttle cable
- new ground wires
- new battery

Edited by zc911 (05/21/13 08:43 PM)

#7084184 - 05/22/13 11:10 PM Re: Coworker has a '92 Z32 TT that has been sitting for a decade [Re: zc911]
UglyValiant Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Milwaukee, WI
For the most part, IF a small furry animal has found it's way somewhere, it's always been obvious to me. Chewed plastic, paper, foam, etc in a pile somewhere close to where they've made an entrance. Likewise, it has usually smelled like ammonia/strong smell of piss/animal feces to boot.

I'm not going to say it's always obvious...but every case of animal infestation has always been pretty obvious in the cases I've encountered them. Seriously, one case the smell was so strong it brought tears to my eyes...
1989 Shelby CSX (#500/500)
The most powerful production minivan money can buy.

#7084615 - 05/23/13 08:53 AM Re: Coworker has a '92 Z32 TT that has been sitting for a decade [Re: zc911]
scootergeek Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: East of St. Louis
 Originally Posted By: zc911

On the other hand i bought a 1960 MGA that sat for 15 years, it was much more of a pain/pain in progress.
- new fuel tank
- rebuilt the carbs
- new spark plugs
- new battery cables
- new master cylinder
- new oil
- new coolant
- new choke cable
- new thorttle cable
- new ground wires
- new battery

To be fair, if you bought somebody's daily driver MGA, it'd probably still need all of that.

#7085622 - 05/23/13 02:39 PM Re: Coworker has a '92 Z32 TT that has been sitting for a decade [Re: scootergeek]
zc911 Offline
Ferrari4Sale 😎
Post Master Supreme

Loc: toronto
 Originally Posted By: UglyValiant
For the most part, IF a small furry animal has found it's way somewhere, it's always been obvious to me. Chewed plastic, paper, foam, etc in a pile somewhere close to where they've made an entrance. Likewise, it has usually smelled like ammonia/strong smell of piss/animal feces to boot.

I'm not going to say it's always obvious...but every case of animal infestation has always been pretty obvious in the cases I've encountered them. Seriously, one case the smell was so strong it brought tears to my eyes...

thats true, there was rat crap everywhere, which made me double check everything. It took a good scubbing and paint over the stripped interior to get rid of the barn/rodant smell

Originally Posted By: scootergeek
 Originally Posted By: zc911

- new fuel tank
- rebuilt the carbs
- new spark plugs
- new battery cables
- new master cylinder
- new oil
- new coolant
- new choke cable
- new thorttle cable
- new ground wires
- new battery

To be fair, if you bought somebody's daily driver MGA, it'd probably still need all of that.

hahaha maybe \:D

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  auxilary, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads