Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#5092608 - 10/09/10 02:38 AM The pros and cons of Audi S4 ownership
ElectronVTEC2 Offline
Post Master Sr

Having trouble staying asleep tonight so I figured I'd come on down and explain why I am now in my 3rd car of 2010 and why, overall, my experience with German cars left a little to be desired.

I'll start by saying as a machine, I really don't think one can build a much better one than the Audi S4. Unfortunately, the driving experience is not the end-all to owning a car, and my ultimate decision to get out of the S4 came down to practicality and some recent life changes, though nothing very drastic really.

The pros of the S4:
Fit and finish were second to none, and I've owned quite a few cars. The interior, as everyone knows, spawned generations of dash molesters single-handedly.
Highway driving - the S4 is the first car that truly made me wonder how awesome the US would be with a true autobahn. It simply lives at 70+ MPH.
The combination of refinement and performance it manages to pull off is nothing short of amazing. Something with it's capabilities just shouldn't be as quiet and "plush" as it is. This could be viewed in a negative light by some crowds, however.

The cons:
Ya'll warned me about it, and I didn't listen: gas mileage. I never bought this car with the intention of hypermiling it by any means, but jesus christ Audi, put a longer 6th gear in. Traveling at 75 MPH and turning damn near 3500 RPM in a V8 6MT is fucking stupid and unnecessary, and you know it. Plus, and this is my own issue - my commute to work recently changed from a 30-mile each way highway commute to a 20 mile each-way city commute. Fuck me and the Audi's 13 mpg in the city in the ass.
My local dealership - as referenced in a previous post, I got bent over and fucked hard with no reacharound by those jokers, and it truly sealed the deal on my decision to sell. Called the credit card company - no love for this hoe, I can tell you that.
The selling experience - I could write for days about how I will never, ever, ever try to sell another German car, but in summary, I will just say that the average customer shopping for a used German car is a very rare, picky, and... how shall I say... "frugal" thing.

To sum up, my maintenance risk and to a lesser extent my piss-poor fuel economy + new commute both tipped the scales in favor of going back to the two-car model. I have obtained a perfectly plain, fuel-sipping, "auto-slushbox so the wife can drive it" 2003 Civic EX and I have to say, I'm loving life. My gas mileage, no shit, has increased by almost 3 times, plus I can go back to cat-piss unleaded. Since the car payment is 1/3 of the Audi, I can even further accelerate my debt-payoff plan. I plan to completely eliminate all credit cards and at *least* one car payment and then I will go shopping for a fun car. Something like a Mustang to turbo, or a stock C5Z, or maybe a Nissan Z to turbo charge? Don't know really, but some sort of a project down the road that I can buy with cash.

As for my future with German cars - the only possible way I ever purchase another one is if I can get a good deal on a CPO unit, or buy an older, well-maintained and easier for the home mechanic to work on example with cash. The depreciation hit on high-end German cars is nothing short of stunning, and was unfortunately not something I factored in when I bought the Audi in the first place.

CN: Audi ownership was too expensive for my tastes. Picked up a 2003 Civic EX, sold the Audi, and will buy a project car after all my debt is paid off. Hoo-effing-ray. Even with all that said, for those with more resources than I can devote to a car at this point, the S4 really *is* a terrific machine.

Todd

Videos
#5092639 - 10/09/10 04:37 AM Re: The pros and cons of Audi S4 ownership [Re: ElectronVTEC2]
cliff st-clair Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Queens Village, NY
Yeah to me the gas mileage is the biggest turnoff. And couple that with the relatively small tank I'm sure I'd begin to hate it after a couple months too. To own a car like that I'd have to be a true baller, like greekthug, for example.
Good luck with the Civic and your future purchase!

#5092661 - 10/09/10 07:19 AM Re: The pros and cons of Audi S4 ownership [Re: cliff st-clair]
ElectronVTEC2 Offline
Post Master Sr

Yea, it's hard to let something like that ruin a car for you but it really does get old after a little while. The unfortunate thing? The issue that prompted me to take the car to the dealer actually caused the car to get almost 20% better mileage. Prior to getting fixed, I was seeing 20 to 22 mpg at a 70 mph cruise on the highway. After the fix, I was only getting around 17 to 18 under the same conditions. That was basically when I said FML, I just spent $XXX to get even worse gas mileage. Oh, and the car wasn't nearly as responsive afterward either. Not sure how or why, but it just is what it is. I absolutely do not regret buying it though, it was quite the car to own, even if only for five months...

Todd

#5092675 - 10/09/10 07:55 AM Re: The pros and cons of Audi S4 ownership [Re: ElectronVTEC2]
65_289 Offline
Post Master Sr

That really sucks to hear. I wonder if the new supercharged S4 would have left a different taste in your mouth (and less anal pain).
#5092739 - 10/09/10 09:15 AM Re: The pros and cons of Audi S4 ownership [Re: 65_289]
grkthugisback Offline
Jr Poster

Loc: Brooklyn , Ny
LOLOLOLOL ... Funnnny one 65 . Sorry to hear about your bad experience in the GErman world my friend . And Cliff if you wanna drive nice cars i can still make you my best friend slave driver and we can cruise all day LOL . ( dont be alarmed people im not racist and me and Cliff are old friends) . Electron when did you purchase this car ? Was it new or used ? I personally feel that buying such NICE NICE cars New is a waste . I think buying it used it always a better way to go . Just make sure its certified and has low miles . You would be amazed the money you save on these nice cars . Now when you bought the S4 you KNEW you where getting a V8 bro , dont act suprised that you got shit gas mileage . Lol What v8 gets good gas mileage ? My Cayenne if i do highway driving on its 22 gallon tank can MAYBE get 350 miles on the tank . In the city ? I get about 225-260 depending how I drive on that tank and if its in sport mode all the time or not . I personally only hate the fact that I gotta keep putting gas in not cause of the money , but for the simple fact that im like DAMN i gotta put gas again in this bitch ? My Honda V6 accord Can do 400 miles on a tank and i believe is 15 gallons . So i get a nice break from filling that tank up at the station .

If your in debt , then buying a nice car wasnt actually the smartest thing to do , BUT if it makes you happy sometimes you gotta just do it and work thru it . If you want to get a cheaper car to have fun with ? Just look at all those NICE NICE cars you thought you couldnt afford and find them used bro . Your telling me you wouldnt want a nice used Rs4 ???? Shit I saw one yesterday and that bitch was SWEEEEEEETT . Just pay off your debt , take your time and by yourself a nice car you can enjoy on weekends . Keep the civic to beat around in . And drive your other car on the weekends broham .
2009 Harley Davidson 1200 Nightster(Summer ride)

#5092786 - 10/09/10 10:35 AM Re: The pros and cons of Audi S4 ownership [Re: grkthugisback]
ElectronVTEC2 Offline
Post Master Sr

Grk, I bought it used, non-certified (prev. owner had it under CPO for a few years). It was actually in pretty darn good shape, was well-maintained and very, very clean. I just got the raw end of the stick on the cooling system issue and it soured me on the whole experience really fast.

I get what you're saying about the V8, but honestly? Look at the CTS-V, supercharged V8 getting the same or better economy than the S4, whilst making 200+ more bhp. Or, look at our good friend Ellis - 35% larger than the 4.2, makes 28 mpg on the highway thanks to *intelligent* 6th gear ratio. All the same though, you're absolutely right on multiple counts - when in debt, don't go buy a potentially risky, high-end luxo car. Especially not one that will rape you at the pump.

Winter's coming up here so I'll have a solid 6 months to work my magic on our debt and I think that when all is said and done, I'll have 75% of it paid off by the time April hits. I'll never stop being a car guy, I just need to pull back a little bit and be a *smarter* car guy :).

Todd

#5092855 - 10/09/10 12:22 PM Re: The pros and cons of Audi S4 ownership [Re: ElectronVTEC2]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Edmonton
I don't like bad gas mileage, but CSi concerns itself with it a bit too much. The right car is worth a few bucks at fill up. Not many V8 power cars get great mileage. Shit, my G35 gets about 24-25 highway when driven nicely, but 16-17 in the city. My RDX does better. I'd gladly pop $5 more dollar per fill for 50 hp (though a G37 is likely the answer for a bit less power, but better gearing).

I am a bit shocked at the highway gearing - 6 speeds and 3500 at 75 is nuts.

#5092893 - 10/09/10 01:34 PM Re: The pros and cons of Audi S4 ownership [Re: 65_289]
NOT spotch... Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: 65_289
That really sucks to hear. I wonder if the new supercharged S4 would have left a different taste in your mouth (and less anal pain).

Highly doubtful. A guy at my job had the older turbo S4 and those were a shittastic maintenance nightmare as well. Constantly broken, expensive repairs, etc. This seems to be a pretty consistent pattern with Audi.
EDIT: You run similar risks with BMW though. What kind of car company in the modern era designs numerous models where the subframe just tears from daily driver duty?

#5092896 - 10/09/10 01:37 PM Re: The pros and cons of Audi S4 ownership [Re: NOT spotch...]
NOT spotch... Offline
Post Master Supreme

Good kill on the civic EX, I suppose. If it were me I would've held off for an LX or an HX (better gas mileage, and a little cheaper... esp the LX). I hated the handling on that generation civic, but at least they're dead fucking reliable and get gas mileage for days. I talk about it a lot here, but 47~mpg on the highway, with passengers and the a/c on, through hilly country and shit, is pretty damn good (my old 5speed LX).

#5092988 - 10/09/10 03:11 PM Re: The pros and cons of Audi S4 ownership [Re: NOT spotch...]
danl Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Maryland USA
EV, your story is the same as every other German car owner I know. My uncle has had good luck with BMW's, that is as long as he trades it in before the factory warranty is up. BMW has even been good about paying for taxi rides to get him home when his BMW shuts off on him for reasons even the dealership can't understand why.

My aunt was $11,000 in the hole before she gave up on her Audi. She got an Infinity and couldn't be happier.

#5093035 - 10/09/10 04:09 PM Re: The pros and cons of Audi S4 ownership [Re: danl]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canadistan
Good kill . imho it makes the most sense to pay off more of your debt for sure.

it wouldve been nice to have some winter fun in that thing...ah well you will have something else in a yrs time or so.

So far Ive been doing fine. Mileage is not to bad on this turd so I am ok with it. Theres some more preventative things I need to address but nothing to unexpected for an 11 yr old car.

the high revs on the highway is a bit weird for a v8...but its more driving style in general and load thatll burn more gas than some extra revs will.

so if you are getting 15 mpg on the highway...another 1000 rpm down wouldnt really improve it all that much.

You made the right choice at the end of the day. (except you shouldve got a 5 spd ;\) )

#5093108 - 10/09/10 05:16 PM Re: The pros and cons of Audi S4 ownership [Re: Euphoricuck]
danl Offline
Post Master Supreme

Peak engine fuel efficiency (BSFC) is at torque peak. If torque peak (at cruising engine load) is at 3500 then the gearing is correct. The issue is that smaller high strung engines (think s2000 and maybe the S4) rely on an engine design that breathes well at higher flow rates. What this means is that the torque peak is shifted to high throttle angle and high RPM. On something like a LS1 the engineers don't have to worry as much about high flow efficiency and can afford to also design in good low flow efficiency and thus get a good quality fuel/air charge mixture at these low flow (and low rpm) areas. Efficient mixture preparation means good BSFC and thus good gas mileage.

CN:

Bigger is better but turbos are cool too.

#5093165 - 10/09/10 05:47 PM Re: The pros and cons of Audi S4 ownership [Re: danl]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: danl
Peak engine fuel efficiency (BSFC) is at torque peak. If torque peak (at cruising engine load) is at 3500 then the gearing is correct.

Empirical fuel economy evidence disagrees. When you talk Peak engine efficiency, you are referring to WOT, not the 10% throttle required to maintain 75 mph.

FWIW, the G37 gets 3 mpg better on the highway - due to the extra gears in the trans. I would think we all know by now that overdrives work. Even BMW is touting good efficiency gains simply by going to the 8 speed auto over the 6.

#5093292 - 10/09/10 07:01 PM Re: The pros and cons of Audi S4 ownership [Re: Impulsive]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

if the car has enough torch to maintain the spd without the need for extra load. it will get slightly better mpg.

but as ive always said...for most cars you wont see a huge increase in fuel consumption from a little bit of extra revs. like all those who whine about hondas revving high on the highway. giving it another gear that dropped the revs 1k or more(for example) would probably make it drink more fuel since it would need more load (throttle) to maintain the same speed since it makes lower torch.

driving style and how much load you put on the motor has bigger effects than some revs do.

an s4 is less high strung than say its bigger bro the rs4. anyways, i still maintain that if the s4 revved 1000 rpm less youd see only small increases in mpg.
and it likely cant lug along like the lsx can.

#5093336 - 10/09/10 07:32 PM Re: The pros and cons of Audi S4 ownership [Re: Euphoricuck]
LNXGUY Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
Man, that fucking car shouldn't be running 3500rpm at 75mph, good god.

#5093338 - 10/09/10 07:33 PM Re: The pros and cons of Audi S4 ownership [Re: Euphoricuck]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

Yeah it's not a huge difference, but it's the difference between 22 mpg highway and 24-25. Even weaker engines (small V6's, big 4 cyls) are completely comfortable in the 2000-2500 range while cruising.

#5093352 - 10/09/10 07:42 PM Re: The pros and cons of Audi S4 ownership [Re: Impulsive]
LNXGUY Offline
Post Master Supreme

A 4-ish litre V8 should be running under 2500rpm's in 6th gear at that speed.

Maybe zee Germans geared it for zee Autobahn!!!!!

#5093362 - 10/09/10 07:53 PM Re: The pros and cons of Audi S4 ownership [Re: Impulsive]
Stock94si Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Live Free or Die
at least you gave it a shot and are now wiser. i have a 90 mile round trip daily commute so i should be doing the two car thing, but i suspect i'd end up spending the same money for two pieces of shit.
#5093380 - 10/09/10 08:11 PM Re: The pros and cons of Audi S4 ownership [Re: Stock94si]
LNXGUY Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Stock94si
at least you gave it a shot and are now wiser. i have a 90 mile round trip daily commute so i should be doing the two car thing, but i suspect i'd end up spending the same money for two pieces of shit.

*cough* TDI no brainer *cough*

#5093435 - 10/09/10 08:30 PM Re: The pros and cons of Audi S4 ownership [Re: LNXGUY]
Stock94si Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: LNXGUY

Then i could spend 95% of my time in a car i hate, and the other 5% trying to convince my woman to ride in the loud shaking car that reeks of exhaust fumes.

#5093451 - 10/09/10 08:41 PM Re: The pros and cons of Audi S4 ownership [Re: Impulsive]
danl Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Impulsive
Peak engine fuel efficiency (BSFC) is at torque peak. If torque peak (at cruising engine load) is at 3500 then the gearing is correct.

Empirical fuel economy evidence disagrees. When you talk Peak engine efficiency, you are referring to WOT, not the 10% throttle required to maintain 75 mph.

FWIW, the G37 gets 3 mpg better on the highway - due to the extra gears in the trans. I would think we all know by now that overdrives work. Even BMW is touting good efficiency gains simply by going to the 8 speed auto over the 6.

See the part where I said "at cruising engine load". BSFC as a function of RPM relies on engine load.

Its kinda hard to argue that if you burn fuel more efficiently (higher BSFC) that you will maintain best fuel economy. LOL

#5093453 - 10/09/10 08:41 PM Re: The pros and cons of Audi S4 ownership [Re: Stock94si]
LNXGUY Offline
Post Master Supreme

Then i could spend 95% of my time in a car i hate, and the other 5% trying to convince my woman to ride in the loud shaking car that reeks of exhaust fumes.

I didn't know the '10 Golf TDI's shook like crazy and reeked like exhaust.

You should probably approach VW corporate and let them know.

#5093466 - 10/09/10 08:47 PM Re: The pros and cons of Audi S4 ownership [Re: Stock94si]
danl Offline
Post Master Supreme

Just so we are all on the same page:

"Brake specific fuel consumption (BSFC) is a measure of fuel efficiency within a shaft reciprocating engine. It is the rate of fuel consumption divided by the power produced. " -wikipedia

Yeah, I fucking quoted wikipedia. Anyways there is a rpm that the engine is most efficient at turning the combustion into torque. This changes with engine load. Just because WOT torque peak is 5000rpm doesn't mean that the torque peak at 10 in/hg is 5000rpm. Think about it......

Its not about airflow people. Its about quality air and fuel preparation in the combustion chamber.

#5093870 - 10/10/10 01:17 AM Re: The pros and cons of Audi S4 ownership [Re: danl]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

Its kinda hard to argue that if you burn fuel more efficiently (higher BSFC) that you will maintain best fuel economy. LOL

LOL? Like you have inside knowledge of the 10% throttle open dyno peak torque on an Audi S4? No V8 car is at peak efficiency at 3500 on the highway and the real world proves that.

#5093877 - 10/10/10 01:31 AM Re: The pros and cons of Audi S4 ownership [Re: danl]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

Anyways there is a rpm that the engine is most efficient at turning the combustion into torque. This changes with engine load. Just because WOT torque peak is 5000rpm doesn't mean that the torque peak at 10 in/hg is 5000rpm. Think about it......

You clearly said BSFC was at the engines torque peak or "cruising" torque peak. Not decent sized V8 is going to get better economy at 3500 than 2500 on the highway - hence the word empirical.

#5094009 - 10/10/10 08:21 AM Re: The pros and cons of Audi S4 ownership [Re: Impulsive]
ElectronVTEC2 Offline
Post Master Sr

Wow, this turned into quite the conversation \:\) I learned quite a bit through this experience and I shouldn't say I'm done with German cars forever, I'm just done with making piss-poor decisions for awhile.

On the 3500 RPM deal - I don't remember the exact RPM for cruising down the highway in 6th, but the Audi was definitely geared more like a Honda than I think it should have been. Little 1.7L motors need gearing to make up for lack of torque, 4.2 V8's do not. I was actually amazed at the lack of off-idle torque and I never understood why. I expect a V8, even a relatively small one, to have some neck-snapping torque even at low RPM but the Audi was most definitely a midrange machine. It worked out fine in the end I guess, I just think my expectations were off.

Todd

#5094012 - 10/10/10 08:28 AM Re: The pros and cons of Audi S4 ownership [Re: Impulsive]
danl Offline
Post Master Supreme

I don't have inside knowledge and never claimed to. I'm merely providing a possible explanation as to why the gearing is the way it is. If the cylinder heads, intake manifold, etc. are geared for high flow performance then you are going to have to rev it a bit higher to burn fuel efficiently. I stated that in my first post, read it again.
#5094028 - 10/10/10 09:09 AM Re: The pros and cons of Audi S4 ownership [Re: LNXGUY]
Stock94si Offline
Post Master Sr

I didn't know the '10 Golf TDI's shook like crazy and reeked like exhaust.

You should probably approach VW corporate and let them know.

The TDI would be the car I hate. The 'other car' would be the one loud stinky one

#5094191 - 10/10/10 12:00 PM Re: The pros and cons of Audi S4 ownership [Re: danl]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

the s4 isnt so much a high end screamer....

fwiw my turd is revving relatively high on the highway and i still get 27 mpg(hwy).
ill get exact rpm/spd later.

#5094194 - 10/10/10 12:07 PM Re: The pros and cons of Audi S4 ownership [Re: danl]
NOT spotch... Offline
Post Master Supreme

Quote:
but as ive always said...for most cars you wont see a huge increase in fuel consumption from a little bit of extra revs. like all those who whine about hondas revving high on the highway. giving it another gear that dropped the revs 1k or more(for example) would probably make it drink more fuel since it would need more load (throttle) to maintain the same speed since it makes lower torch.

Yeah, but I don't think it's a coincidence that of the 1.5, 1.6, 1.7, 1.8 liter hondas I've owned, the gas mileage they got was strongly correlated with the RPM they spun at 70~ mph (the 1.7 did better than the 1.6, 1.5, and 1.8, and spun at an even lower rpm than all 3). My 2.0 neon got slightly worse gas mileage than the 1.7 (but better than the 1.5/1.6/1.8) and had *very* similar gearing and rpms/mph. Neons with the .81 fifth gear instead of my weak ass .72 got noticeably worse gas mileage than I did (but were way better at passing on the highway lol) The prelude, otoh, at 3000++ rpm at 70mph, sucked ass in the gas mileage dept. ton of throttle response on the highway/great passing power, but drank fuel like whoa. In my experience, it takes *very* little tq to cruise at ~70mph in a relatively lightweight vehicle with a half decent cd and a non-huge frontal area. The problem is, it's not exactly fun to drive something making just enough power to efficiently maintain a 70mph cruise. We hate having to downshift to pass someone, we just want to press the pedal and blow everyone off the road. If audi gave the s4 a true fuel sipper 6th gear, every mag on the planet would scream out in disgust. "OMG THE REV DROP TO 6TH AND THE LACK OF POWER IS UNBEARABLE!"

just my experience though lol

#5094255 - 10/10/10 01:15 PM Re: The pros and cons of Audi S4 ownership [Re: danl]
grkthugisback Offline
Jr Poster

Loc: Brooklyn , Ny
EV, your story is the same as every other German car owner I know. My uncle has had good luck with BMW's, that is as long as he trades it in before the factory warranty is up. BMW has even been good about paying for taxi rides to get him home when his BMW shuts off on him for reasons even the dealership can't understand why.

My aunt was $11,000 in the hole before she gave up on her Audi. She got an Infinity and couldn't be happier.
I will admit that with German cars the reliability compared to Jap vehicles is really not on the same level most of the time . ESP with BMW,Mercedes. KNock on wood the porsches havent given me REAL problems . They do give me a couple of WEIRD issues that automatically fix themselves . But FUCK THAT , My service people know the deal The car comes right into the shop if anything is fishy , Good thing is they give me any loaner I want lol . They gave me a BRAND new panamera s with 500 miles on it fully loaded every option for like a month when they where modding my 911 . Now THATS A GREAT car . Best all around SEDAN I have ever driven in my life . Porsche is just amazing quality all around . BMW,MERCEDES have fallen off cause they are made in america so therefor quality has dropped . Only the AMG models and like M models are really made in Germany now .

EV I say take a break and relax bro . Save some money , And REALLY drive around and see what you wanna get with time . Before I bought the Cayenne I went to see Mercedes S550,BMW M6,Maseratti Quattroporte I mean i drove everything and asked myself DO I WANT THIS FOR SURE ? Can it do what i need it to ? want it to ? Can it be driven in the snow ? Does it handle well in the rain ? Fucked up weather conditions you know ? Im putting my family in there my wife n kids need to be safe , they need room , and then you gotta satisfy YOUR own taste . Is it fast enough ? How does it perform ? how does it handle ? Does it look nice ? Will i enjoy driving it everyday or 4 times a week ? does this car look good with me in it ? So many things you gotta look into man , Thats why the Cayenne was so natural for me when I drove it . It did it ALL and im SO happy with this fucking thing . my 911 gave me all the thrills i wanted with its 600HP . Ask me if i would drive it in the snow ? lol NEVer , Rain ? like if its overcast I wont take it out . The Cayenne i take out thru any conditions man . Thats what it ALL comes down to . Can you afford it and does it meet EVERY STANDARD .. Take your time bro and make the RIGHT choice for you . No one can tell you how to spend your money they all got their own opinion .
2009 Harley Davidson 1200 Nightster(Summer ride)

#5094280 - 10/10/10 01:46 PM Re: The pros and cons of Audi S4 ownership [Re: grkthugisback]
ElectronVTEC2 Offline
Post Master Sr

To spotch's point - I had two reasons for picking the auto in a Civic over a 5MT - the wife just refuses to learn how to drive a manual and i really don't care to try and teach someone who doesn't want to learn but more importantly, the gas mileage in the auto is better with the auto thanks to the gearing. I'm not really in a "hurry" when I drive the civic so the fact that it is slow as balls doesn't really matter to me \:\)

Todd

#5094282 - 10/10/10 01:48 PM Re: The pros and cons of Audi S4 ownership [Re: NOT spotch...]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

my car does 3300 rpm @ 75 mph

Si was at 4000 rpm.
to lazy to calculate the dsm.

both get/got decent mileage on the hwy...nevermind the fact I rarely go 75 mph lol 90.

You cant just compare different engines/yrs from gear ratios alone. engines designs are different, some tech has evolved for mpg etc....

#5094295 - 10/10/10 02:09 PM Re: The pros and cons of Audi S4 ownership [Re: Euphoricuck]
NOT spotch... Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Euphoric
my car does 3300 rpm @ 75 mph

Si was at 4000 rpm.
to lazy to calculate the dsm.

both get/got decent mileage on the hwy...nevermind the fact I rarely go 75 mph lol 90.

You cant just compare different engines/yrs from gear ratios alone. engines designs are different, some tech has evolved for mpg etc....

Ok, so just comparing a 98 neon with a .72 fifth gear to one with a .81, the .72 is going to be the mileage master even though it will be way slower when you punch it on the highway. Juuuust enough to cruise. (same way with my 1.7 civic... funny how the tallest geared cars I've owned, with the least gearing advantage at 70~mph, were also the best mpg-getting cars I've owned by a mile... like mid-high 40s vs 40 flat or worse ;\) ).

But, like I said, cars that feel weak cruising at 70mph in 5th will be hated on. And on a test drive? Forget it. Get it out on the highway and the first thing you'd hear would be "OMG ITS SO SLOW". The mags/buyers/etc feel the slowness of the tall top gear, and don't realize that top gear isn't for highway roll-on racing, it's for gas mileage. I mean shit, that's one of the comparison tests for the mags... '50-70mph top gear passing time' or whatever. My neon and my 05 civic were in great pain accelerating at 50mph in top gear... terrible. But that's the price you pay for making 65-75 your cruising 'sweet spot'.

Think about it...a test drive is 20-30~ mins... long enough to feel the 'weakness' cruising on the highway, but not nearly long enough so you'll see yourself saving a ton at the pump over the long term.

#5094300 - 10/10/10 02:14 PM Re: The pros and cons of Audi S4 ownership [Re: ElectronVTEC2]
NOT spotch... Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: ElectronVTEC2
To spotch's point - I had two reasons for picking the auto in a Civic over a 5MT - the wife just refuses to learn how to drive a manual and i really don't care to try and teach someone who doesn't want to learn but more importantly, the gas mileage in the auto is better with the auto thanks to the gearing. I'm not really in a "hurry" when I drive the civic so the fact that it is slow as balls doesn't really matter to me \:\)

Todd

The EX does make a little more power than the LX, so that should help with the slowness. I'd be surprised if you're hitting 45+mpg in it, but still, anything 40 or more is fucking awesome.

Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  auxilary, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads