Page 3 of 9 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#5920621 - 11/10/11 08:54 AM Re: Four weeks progress... [Re: HX_Guy]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canadistan
 Originally Posted By: HX_Guy
It's not that running is all that tiring, that isn't what I don't like about it. What I don't like is that I'm panting the whole time and hating life. I get a little dizzy...time seems to move backwards, I look at the clock literally every 45 seconds and it feels like 5 minutes.

its because you are out of shape. period. stop looking at the clock...keep at it and it will get better. exercise is/should be tough.

id also switch it up and walk the downhill..run the up hill. running downstairs/down a hill is a lot harder on your muscles and not necessarily in a good way.

#5920627 - 11/10/11 08:56 AM Re: Four weeks progress... [Re: Silock]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Silock
You have to become comfortable with being uncomfortable.
this!

love the pain

#5920731 - 11/10/11 09:37 AM Re: Four weeks progress... [Re: Euphoricuck]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Edmonton
 Originally Posted By: Euphoric

id also switch it up and walk the downhill..run the up hill. running downstairs/down a hill is a lot harder on your muscles and not necessarily in a good way.

I agree with this. I run a lot of hills, uphill might be harder in terms of work, but the downhill jarring/pounding bothers me more.

#5923218 - 11/10/11 11:46 PM Re: Four weeks progress... [Re: Impulsive]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Impulsive

I agree with this. I run a lot of hills, uphill might be harder in terms of work, but the downhill jarring/pounding bothers me more.
its harder on your muscles/over extends them...blah . ill try to find a link tomorrow.

#5926027 - 11/12/11 10:16 AM Re: Four weeks progress... [Re: Euphoricuck]
HX_Guy Offline
Please blame any typos on my executive assistant
Post Master Supreme

So apparently going to 1200 - 1250 calories per day (from 1550 - 1600) does work.

Was 186.8 on Monday this week (5th dot from the end) and 183.3 this morning and the lightest by 2.1lbs in the past 3 weeks (and actually the last time I was 183.3 or lower was May of 2010).
2022 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate

#5926457 - 11/12/11 05:52 PM Re: Four weeks progress... [Re: Euphoricuck]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Impulsive

its harder on your muscles/over extends them...blah . ill try to find a link tomorrow.

Downhill requires more muscles. Eccentric contractions.
While you may feel more tired up, you'll probably be more sore and develop more muscular strength going up.

But it can also be murder on the joints if you're not taking small fast strides.

#5926527 - 11/12/11 06:57 PM Re: Four weeks progress... [Re: ]
Serendipitous Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Northern California
Guy from the other thread is killing you Val, time to pick up the pace!

#5928884 - 11/14/11 11:03 AM Re: Four weeks progress... [Re: ]
HX_Guy Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: [OB11BO

I eat the fuck out of these on weeks I'm too lazy to cook the chicken. Thawed out in the fridge and 2min in the microwave and done. 98% fat free, nearly 4oz in every fillet.
http://www.tyson.com/Products/Grilled-And-Ready-Fully-Cooked-Frozen-Chicken-Breast-Fillets.aspx

24Gs and 110cals per fillet. Drown 2-3 of these....6 of them is under 700cals and right around 150Gs. I eat about that and a couple shakes minimum a day. That is about 900cals and 200G's and I still have a couple 100cals to spare when I'm cutting. When not cutting I still wrap this same list around more cals...

Thanks for the suggestion on these, I picked up a pack at Costco yesterday and am looking forward to having some for lunch today.

Interestingly though they changes the nutritional information on the label though from the link you posted above.

It now says a serving size is 3oz (vs 1 Fillet) and that has 110 calories and 22g of protein. I weighed one of the bigger pieces in the bag though and it wasn't even 3oz so maybe that's why they changed it. I'm going to program it into my food scale and it should be easy to keep track when I'm having a meal.

#5929071 - 11/14/11 12:16 PM Re: Four weeks progress... [Re: HX_Guy]
Back 5 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: CA
HX, don't gauge your weight from evening to morning after a sleep. You can lose a couple pounds throughout the night just from water vapor through mouth breathing.

I wouldn't fuss about taking your weight daily as you will become too obsessed. Take it every few days, couple times a week. Make sure it's at a consistent time with proper hydration.

#5929102 - 11/14/11 12:26 PM Re: Four weeks progress... [Re: Back 5]
HX_Guy Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Back 5
HX, don't gauge your weight from evening to morning after a sleep.

I don't do that, did I give the impression that I do?

I do weigh myself every day, but always first thing in the morning when I wake up (around 8:30am), naked, and after a piss. \:D

#5929108 - 11/14/11 12:29 PM Re: Four weeks progress... [Re: HX_Guy]
Back 5 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: CA
 Originally Posted By: Back 5
HX, don't gauge your weight from evening to morning after a sleep.

I don't do that, did I give the impression that I do?

I do weigh myself every day, but always first thing in the morning when I wake up (around 8:30am), naked, and after a piss. \:D

Sorry, from the way I read your post it looked like you had a reading before bed and when you woke up.

#5929509 - 11/14/11 02:36 PM Re: Four weeks progress... [Re: ]
HX_Guy Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: [OB11BO
Bought one last night and weighed a larger and smaller piece....3.95 and 3.45 (for lunch just now).

WTF...did you buy it from Costco? I must have got the special pack or something because I just pulled out the bag out of the freezer and weighed like 10 different pieces. The heaviest was 2.7oz and the ranged as low as 1.9oz.

#5929599 - 11/14/11 02:58 PM Re: Four weeks progress... [Re: ]
HX_Guy Offline
Post Master Supreme

Yea we usually have a couple containers of cottage cheese in the fridge, my wife loves the stuff...I think it's ok, not too bad...I'm more of a meat person. \:\)

This is the only stuff she likes though, but it's similar to what you posted, 100 cal/14g protein.

#5929929 - 11/14/11 04:16 PM Re: Four weeks progress... [Re: ]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: dirtyS13drifta

Downhill requires more muscles. Eccentric contractions.

exactly. it murders your muscles.

#5974940 - 12/05/11 01:43 PM Re: Four weeks progress... [Re: HX_Guy]
HX_Guy Offline
Post Master Supreme

12 Week Update

So today is week #12 since I started doing doing weights 3x per week without missing a single week.

I weighed in at 180.0lbs this morning which is down from my high of 194.2 back in May 2011 and my lightest weight since May 2010.
I've dropped 6.8lbs in the last 4 weeks by dropping my calories down to 1200 per day (from ~1700 before).

Strength is really where I am noticing a difference. A few that I'm liking...

Leg press: 180lbs -> 270lbs (5 sets x 12 reps)
Chin ups: 0.5 (yes, half, couldn't even do one) -> 7.0
Lat pulldown: 90lbs -> 140lbs (4 sets x 12 reps)
Standing Barbel Curls: 60lbs -> 80lbs (3 sets x 10 reps)

Here's the photos...comment away. \:\)

BTW, this forum is really helping me stay motivated so I really appreciate everyone's help and advice (even if I don't always listen to it \:D ). This weekend I was trying to be extra strict knowing I had to take photos and do an update here today so that helps me out.

Total Progess: Diet + 12 Weeks of Lifting

Side: http://nitnelav.com/Body/Mouseover/Week12/NoDiet_12weeks_Side.html

Front: http://nitnelav.com/Body/Mouseover/Week12/NoDiet_12weeks.html

12 Weeks of Lifting

Side: http://nitnelav.com/Body/Mouseover/Week12/0to12weeks_side.html

Front: http://nitnelav.com/Body/Mouseover/Week12/0to12weeks_front.html

Biceps: http://nitnelav.com/Body/Mouseover/Week12/0to12weeks_biceps.html

#5975855 - 12/05/11 08:22 PM Re: Four weeks progress... [Re: HX_Guy]
HX_Guy Offline
Post Master Supreme

*Crickets*

Where is everyone?

#5975942 - 12/05/11 08:50 PM Re: Four weeks progress... [Re: HX_Guy]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

I'll say what I said earlier.
You were expecting too much at 4 weeks and 8 weeks.

Now your seeing your rewards? & chins is good. I seem to have plateued at 7 pulls and it's annoying the piss out of me.

But I'm just going on your reported strength gains. I don't like to look at men without their shirts at work... I save that for home

#5975946 - 12/05/11 08:53 PM Re: Four weeks progress... [Re: ]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Oh, and from your side I can see you're either sucking in or suffering from weak core.
#5976066 - 12/05/11 09:37 PM Re: Four weeks progress... [Re: ]
HX_Guy Offline
Post Master Supreme

Now your seeing your rewards? & chins is good. I seem to have plateued at 7 pulls and it's annoying the piss out of me.

I was able to do 8 today, felt good because that was one that messed with my mind...not even being able to do one when I started, felt "unmanly" in a way. I've been able to add an additional one every Monday more or less, I'm sure I'll plateau here sooner or later.

#5976074 - 12/05/11 09:39 PM Re: Four weeks progress... [Re: ]
HX_Guy Offline
Post Master Supreme

Oh, and from your side I can see you're either sucking in or suffering from weak core.

I knew I should have touched on this as someone was bound to mention it. My wife said the same thing, she thought I was sucking it in but I'm not, that's just how I look when I stand up straight.

So it's because of a weak core? How can you tell...like what specifically are you looking at? What should I do to improve this area? All I'm doing that is working out the core area now are squats.

#5976126 - 12/05/11 09:53 PM Re: Four weeks progress... [Re: HX_Guy]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

I was able to do 8 today, felt good because that was one that messed with my mind...not even being able to do one when I started, felt "unmanly" in a way. I've been able to add an additional one every Monday more or less, I'm sure I'll plateau here sooner or later.

I was chugging along on Chins and they switched to Pulls as I wanted to really get the lats(then again i could use the biceps help too). Maybe I'll work on chins again to make progress. Good job though. You've made a ton of progress. I've only gone from 3 clean ones chins to 8 before I switched. 0(ish) to 7 is good progress!

I knew I should have touched on this as someone was bound to mention it. My wife said the same thing, she thought I was sucking it in but I'm not, that's just how I look when I stand up straight.

So it's because of a weak core? How can you tell...like what specifically are you looking at? What should I do to improve this area? All I'm doing that is working out the core area now are squats.

Like you said, it looks like you're sucking in. That collapse under your ribs.
Now don't get me wrong, I have a huge core for my strength/weight. Genetics a bit, it's where I store my fat too. Plus a bit of a posture issue(stick my ass and my gut out). But most guys shouldn't collapse like that. Even when I ran a lot and weighed 10lbs I wouldn't dip in that much. I mean it's less support. I've been down to a 30" waist in jeans and never had that sort of profile.

Don't fuck around with fancy with core(my new theory). Your squats are a good start, but add some planks. 3 long planks. Try 3 1minute ones, focus on squeezing your ass and staying flat.
I occasionally do some decline sit-ups, but people have a habit of using their hip flexors(not curling abdomen), and just V at the waist.

That and use your abs while doing others. Bench, any above the head press, those recruit the abs a lot if you'r doing them right.

But doing some core like this may make you look not quite as lean in clothes. I know you've commented people say you look skinny in clothes but feel fat. I find using a routine with the big compounds and some planks I have the opposite. My core cross-section is much bigger than it used to be, so I fill a shirt more. But I have more definition and it actually helps support my chest. My wife says the bigger around isn't a problem because I'm bigger everywhere.

p.s. Art hates it when newbs act like experts, and I hate bitchfests with him. I should clarify that I'm pretty novice at all this to.

Edited by dirtyS13drifta (12/05/11 09:59 PM)

#5976149 - 12/05/11 10:00 PM Re: Four weeks progress... [Re: ]
HX_Guy Offline
Post Master Supreme

Hmm...I have never done planks, had no idea what they even were until I did a search on Google which brought up this YouTube video. Good video to follow?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiA9j-dR0oM

Seems awfully easy, though I've never even tried it so I'll probably be surprised. So just 3x 1min? Once per week or more?

Edit: Ok, so I just did one and crap that's not easy. I was able to do 1 min. but was shaking by the end. Really felt it in my core area but also my arms were getting pretty tired from it. I doubt I can do 3x 1 min but I'll do how much I can.

Edit again: Alright, so I was able to do 3 but I was shaking and breathing heavy like a mofo, who would of thought something so simple can give you that good of a work out.

So how many times per week should I be doing this and when should I increase the time, or should I increase the reps?

#5976228 - 12/05/11 10:26 PM Re: Four weeks progress... [Re: HX_Guy]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Hmm...I have never done planks, had no idea what they even were until I did a search on Google which brought up this YouTube video. Good video to follow?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiA9j-dR0oM

Seems awfully easy, though I've never even tried it so I'll probably be surprised. So just 3x 1min? Once per week or more?

Edit: Ok, so I just did one and crap that's not easy. I was able to do 1 min. but was shaking by the end. Really felt it in my core area but also my arms were getting pretty tired from it. I doubt I can do 3x 1 min but I'll do how much I can.

Edit again: Alright, so I was able to do 3 but I was shaking and breathing heavy like a mofo, who would of thought something so simple can give you that good of a work out.

So how many times per week should I be doing this and when should I increase the time, or should I increase the reps?

Haha, i love your edits.

Yeah, when Art advised 3x1 I was like, more! He said go for 3x2min. That first day I did 3x75 seconds and I was dieing.
I'm upto 3x100 on a good day or 3x90seconds most. And I still hate them. Murderously harder than they look. Shaking, breathing hard, etc.

I think Art advised 3 times a week for me. Generally on weights days(when they're already a bit tired). That way they get a bit of rest on cardio days(though sprints are a very good ab workout due to hip twist).

i don't know if reps vs time matters too much. i've been increasing time because that actually seems harder. There's a point where you want to just quit. Pushing past that makes you mentally stronger at least.

#5976379 - 12/05/11 11:30 PM Re: Four weeks progress... [Re: ]
Silock Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Jayhawk Country
Fuck all that noise. Heavy squats and heavy deadlifts. I didn't see you mention deads.

With all that, any plank or other core work is just extraneous and not really necessary. Do it if you want, though.

#5977987 - 12/06/11 02:48 PM Re: Four weeks progress... [Re: ]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: OBGYN1
I agree that squats and deads and some weighted situps are really all I'm needing to work those areas.

BUT...when I was doing pullups I just added weight and tried for one more each week. When I reached 10 pullups I added weight. When I quit doing them a month ago I had 35lbs on there with 6 pullups (starting another process to 10). For what its worth.

I'm pretty sure Val's been told 100 times to do the big lifts but he still seems to focus on leg press, etc. I figured I'd at least offer him some tools to complement his routine.

I feel like most peole end up cheating with weighted core routine. They use their hip flexor muscles rather than truly contracting their abs. though I suppose with weight you'd have to have some strength there.

How often do you do pulls? I find that with the tweaked SS art reommended I'm either fresh of Rows or Deads and I'm already a bit tired for pulls. It's frustrating the piss out of me.

#5978011 - 12/06/11 02:55 PM Re: Four weeks progress... [Re: ]
HX_Guy Offline
Post Master Supreme

I'm pretty sure Val's been told 100 times to do the big lifts but he still seems to focus on leg press, etc. I figured I'd at least offer him some tools to complement his routine.

I do squats as well, not just leg press. Squats on Monday and leg press on Friday. I don't know, I like doing the leg press and feel it works my glutes the best.

#5978396 - 12/06/11 07:38 PM Re: Four weeks progress... [Re: ]
Dope! Offline
Major Member

dunno man, from the front shot, you actually look heaver at week 12 vs. week 4.
#5978442 - 12/06/11 08:04 PM Re: Four weeks progress... [Re: HX_Guy]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

I do squats as well, not just leg press. Squats on Monday and leg press on Friday. I don't know, I like doing the leg press and feel it works my glutes the best.

Fine, if you're following the CSI logic you're probably getting enough core from the big lifts. However you're clearly not following the CSI logic(why does an amateur need more glutes, rather than balanced hamstrings/back/glute/quads?).
I'm not really here to debate the core exercises vs the supplementals. I'll leave that to others.

My point is, if you're not going to follow the normal prescribed beginner program(some variation of starting strength), the planks are a good way to compliment your routine. Hell I like planks twice a week even with Starting strength.
I like how they're hard to cheat and only use your hip flexors(which is why a lot of ab routines never give any washboarding), but still recruite the whole core length(i.e they'll use your hip flexors as well).

#5978541 - 12/06/11 08:41 PM Re: Four weeks progress... [Re: Dope!]
HX_Guy Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Dope!
dunno man, from the front shot, you actually look heaver at week 12 vs. week 4.

Really? I'm down 7.5 lbs from 8 weeks ago ( 187.5lbs vs 180.0lbs).

Here is a mouseover of Week 4 vs Week 12. I think you can see the biggest difference around the waist...the front as well as the hips.

http://nitnelav.com/Body/Mouseover/week4vs12_front.html

#5979554 - 12/07/11 10:15 AM Re: Four weeks progress... [Re: HX_Guy]
HX_Guy Offline
Post Master Supreme

178.9 this morning! Down 15.3lbs since my heavingest of 194.2 back in May 2011.

#5979592 - 12/07/11 10:24 AM Re: Four weeks progress... [Re: ]
HX_Guy Offline
Post Master Supreme

Well...I'll show you...

As you can see, I wasn't on a diet the whole time. I went from 194.2 to 185.1 then back to 190.9 back to 185.3 then to 189.2 on Oct. 2nd which is when I started to really diet.
That big decline you see starting at 186.6 to today is when I cut back to 1200 calories per day.

#5979631 - 12/07/11 10:34 AM Re: Four weeks progress... [Re: HX_Guy]
HX_Guy Offline
Post Master Supreme

BTW, this is what my whole chart looks like since I bought the WiThings scale in on Feb. 20, 2010. Every single day is recorded.

The lowest point on there is 176.9 on March 19, 2010 and that is the lowest weight I've ever been that I can actually remember...so probably my lowest since I was 15-16 yrs old (15 years ago). I also wasn't lifting at all, just diet and some cardio so when I reach that same weight and go lower now, I'll be in much better shape than I was then and best shape of my life. \:\)

#5979652 - 12/07/11 10:39 AM Re: Four weeks progress... [Re: ]
HX_Guy Offline
Post Master Supreme

Yeah, when Art advised 3x1 I was like, more! He said go for 3x2min. That first day I did 3x75 seconds and I was dieing.
I'm upto 3x100 on a good day or 3x90seconds most. And I still hate them. Murderously harder than they look. Shaking, breathing hard, etc.

Hey man, thanks for the sore ribs today...feels like I got punched in both sides, wouldn't surprise me if they turn purple.

Thought I would feel sore more in my upper stomach area, but its my bottom most rib on each side that hurts like a mofo.

#5980395 - 12/07/11 02:35 PM Re: Four weeks progress... [Re: HX_Guy]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Hey man, thanks for the sore ribs today...feels like I got punched in both sides, wouldn't surprise me if they turn purple.

Thought I would feel sore more in my upper stomach area, but its my bottom most rib on each side that hurts like a mofo.

Haha, I've never given another CSI member a bruise before!

Now that you mention it I've noticed I can see my ribs a bit lately(in the morning when I'm 'lean'). I was surprised because I'm probably well above 10% body fat still, I still have a spare tire on the lower abs. The planks (along with the big exercises) are probably to blame someone. I'm not sure, just guessing.

Sounds like it's maybe the top of the obliques on you. I know that's one of the beauties of the plank. Even without doing side planks you'll work the obliques.

#5980609 - 12/07/11 03:33 PM Re: Four weeks progress... [Re: ]
Dope! Offline
Major Member

Originally Posted By: OBGYN1
15lbs in 7 months? I mean, great you're getting there...but I'm curious as to why you could accomplish that in the first 4-8 weeks.

This. Not that it's the right way to go about doing things, but I could easily drop 10-15lbs in 2 weeks just doing a low carb/high protein diet like atkins.

Page 3 of 9 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads